Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

made a dual 36" Liebig and it knocks down 4500 watts no prob

Post by hpby98 »

Hey all,

Just throwing back some data as I've benefited from everyone's experiences.

For stripping runs, using a 15 gallon keg, with about 11 gallons of mash at +-10% - birdwatchers recipe which worked perfectly.
Had a buddy help me build a 1/2" inner, 3/4" outer by 36" long dual liebig which I can swap onto my 4' x 2" stainless column.
Yep, zero problems knocking down from a 4500 watt input. I was pulling off 60% at the start, down to 15% at the end

And it was flowing nicely at 1600ml every 12-13 minutes, and I took about 8 jars from each batch. I was able to process 3 batches yesterday in about 6 hours.

Reflux with a nixon/stone head will be next, as I now have about 10 gallons at 40% to work with.

Compiled the data from 2 of the runs:
chart of 2 runs
chart of 2 runs
Chart of the pot temp & column temp's
Chart of column & pot temp's
Chart of column & pot temp's
Last edited by hpby98 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
zapata
Distiller

Re: made a 36"dual-liebig and it knocks down 4500 watts no p

Post by zapata »

How is it "dual"? Two separate liebigs from the same head? Split in the lyne arm? Pic would probably make it clear. But if you mean you have 2 separate 36" x 3/4 over 1/2, then hell yeah, you won't over over them without a nuclear boiler!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

zapata wrote:How is it "dual"? Two separate liebigs from the same head? Split in the lyne arm? Pic would probably make it clear. But if you mean you have 2 separate 36" x 3/4 over 1/2, then hell yeah, you won't over over them without a nuclear boiler!
Is it maybe a Davies condenser? see Google.

Geoff
The Baker
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

zapata wrote:How is it "dual"? Two separate liebigs from the same head? Split in the lyne arm? Pic would probably make it clear. But if you mean you have 2 separate 36" x 3/4 over 1/2, then hell yeah, you won't over over them without a nuclear boiler!

We came out of the T at the top of the column and then turned it down 90 degrees to run straight down. Then we punched thru a 2" end cap and braised the 1/2" pipe to it. They run parallel out of it straight down.

Will get some photos up shortly.

Nothing but a steady stream coming out for the duration.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

The Baker wrote:
Is it maybe a Davies condenser? see Google.

Geoff

Thanks for the reply, but not a Davies condensor

Literally 2 x 36" Liebigs running in parallel down from the top of my column.
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

That is exactly it :)

Top of my column T's out for triclamp fitting. This head - pure copper - comes out a little and then 90's down into a 2" end cap. The 2x 1/2" inners are braised into that.