New Coil

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RedRaider94
Novice

New Coil

Post by RedRaider94 »

Total newbie here and very interested in some expert opinions. I settled on making a 3” Boka and am starting at the coil. My columns will be 3” sanitary spools with inside diameter of 2.8”. Making a coil was not an easy process. The coil is 3/8” OD and coils are separated by 1/8” gap between coils. It is right at 12” long and has a cold finger on the inside. Width of coil is 2.25” so about 1/4” from column wall to coil on all sides. From my reading here, I know that the double coil is preferred over having a cold finger but I opted for this path. I know this isn’t the prettiest but it was my first try. Leak tested and all good there. Before I continue on with my build, will this do the job and reflux well enough for neutrals? Really appreciate any thoughts and guidance.

Thanks!
73FFF39D-3D9D-4FD8-9E80-8666CFA7F1EB.jpeg
D1A7C0C3-7BE7-4219-86C7-E09F878DD25E.jpeg
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: New Coil

Post by acfixer69 »

That's a really nice looking coil. Nice spacing and no flat tube. Good job on making it but it looks long at 12". Make sure you can throttle it down and you don't sub cool the reflux so much that you are knocking the equalization into a frenzy.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Stuff some copper scrubbies in the coil. Don’t need to be tight, just enough to fill the gaps.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:52 pm Stuff some copper scrubbies in the coil. Don’t need to be tight, just enough to fill the gaps.
ss
Why do you want to fill the gaps SS. He has enough surface area to knock down most heat. Of course don't have that info so was going on a typical coil for a 5k lectric. The scrubbies can't hurt.
RedRaider94
Novice

Post by RedRaider94 »

Was wondering about lightly packing it so thanks for the note! That question is answered.

It is long so was wondering about taking out the top three coils and bringing it down just a bit. I just don’t have any frame of reference being new to all of this and what it takes with a 3” column. Dad taught me a good lesson as a child that removing material is easy but trying to add it back creates a whole different challenge...

How long are most coils on a 3” column?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Looks fine to me , should do the job no problem, as AC said you dont want it to completely cool the reflux, The exit temp of the water from the reflux coil should be quite warm, For what its worth a few scrubbys in the coil will help.