Water speed to Liebig from sink tap.

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JUKINGZACK
Novice

Water speed to Liebig from sink tap.

Post by JUKINGZACK »

So on the pot still I’m going to get at some point, it has a Liebig condenser with a water hose hook up. Being that I live in an apartment building, I don’t have a water source on my back patio I guess they figured it bumps up to the woods who needs water flow back here? Being I can’t just openly distill on my front porch, I’ll have to do this inside and hook it up to the sink unless I decide to go with a pump but idk how I like that idea cause I think most pumps probably only have one speed... so, when this is hooked up to the sink, my question is, how fast should the cold water be entering the condenser? I’ve heard not much pressure is needed and maybe only a slight stream is fast enough but figured I would consult here for what the best water flow speed from sink tap would be. Thanks in advance.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Water speed to Liebig from sink tap.

Post by Yummyrum »

Lot of variables . But yes in a typical liebig that is big enough for the job , the water flow will be pretty much a trickle .

The coolant flow needs to be sufficient that the distillate is exiting fully condensed . Also if you have the flow right , if you run your hand along it , you will feel a temperature gradient .. IE, it will be cold at the bottom , warm in the middle and burning hot at the top .

When running with this temp gradient , the Liebig will operate smoothly with no huffing .

As general rule , you will need about 2x as much coolant water as you have wash in your boiler ... so if you got 10 gal in the boiler , you will consume about 20 gal of water ti condense it .

Can I suggest you fit a tap or valve to the outlet of the still . Then you can adjust it right there at the still . I used to run back and forth ... stupid in hindsight.

I say Fit a valve to the outlet as it means the liebig will always be full and avoids syphoning .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've had hoses blow off under pressure. There is never a convenient time for that to happen :oops:

A pressure regulator at the tap helps, but I still wouldn't put a valve after the water jacket.
JUKINGZACK
Novice

Post by JUKINGZACK »

So what you’re saying is put a valve at the inlet to fill the condenser then shut it off til it starts getting warm as opposed to just letting a trickle run the whole time? Is a constant trickle bad for this? Or is it one of those things you don’t want to over cool the condenser? I do like the idea of if the trickle is cold at the bottom, warm in the middle and hot at the top then it’s running properly. I kind of figured that is how it would be it makes sense cause of how they use worms with constant flow. The water goes in the bottom but as the worm fills the water at the top is warmer than the water coming in the bottom due to the hot steam going through the tubing running downward being condensed. I had thought about a setup using a worm but no more space than I got, a still with a Liebig seemed more adequate and maybe a little easier maintained I guess they all have their pros and cons but I think I would prefer the Liebig.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I hook the water hose directly to the Liebig. Crack the water valve till I get the water flow I need. Like mentioned previously, you have to go back and forth to adjust the flow during the run, but other than that, It works.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
JUKINGZACK
Novice

Post by JUKINGZACK »

8Ball wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:05 am I hook the water hose directly to the Liebig. Crack the water valve till I get the water flow I need. Like mentioned previously, you have to go back and forth to adjust the flow during the run, but other than that, It works.

🎱
That makes sense, I can get a sink adapter that will hook to the water hose that has a valve on it I can open and close but just leave the sink hand in the on position and just crack the valve when I need coolant more or less. Thanks. Also, it’s not necessary to have the water running the whole time before it gets to the condenser right? How do you know when to turn the water to the condenser on if it hasn’t reached that point yet? Or is it when the wash reaches a certain temp and the steam starts to rise you can feel where the heat is at and judge it from there?
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

I turn the water on when my boiler charge reaches a temperature that is uncomfortable to touch but not cause a burn, so hot to touch but not immediate recoil inducing. This is a little earlier than truly necessary but it is better to run the water early than forget until hot flammable vapour spews out.

My condenser is 36" long (actual working cooling area, the complete assembly is obviously a little longer) and is 3/4" over 1/2" with a 12ga wire spiral between. I have found it remarkably effective, giving very hot outlet water using just a trickle. I don't get a noticeable gradient feeling the outer jacket except the perhaps 8" or so on the vapour inlet end, and it is just cold the rest of the way. My distillate comes out cool. I also use a pressure reducing regulator which makes dealing in small changes in flow easier. I set mine to about 10psi.

During the run I adjust the water flow to produce water about as hot as I dare to allow onto my hand. Again, ouch=water too slow.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I turn the water on when the vapor temp starts to climb quickly — for me, when it jumps from around 90F and starts the climb up. I leave it on until I quit collecting.

🎱
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

As long as a condenser isn't undersized, the flow doesn't need to be steady.

Two of mine now have a thermocouple at the product outlet and the water is controlled by pumps or solenoid valves and cheap temperature controllers that supply a weir above condenser. The weir helps to smooth out the effect of the on/off switching. The weir isn't necessary though, and I have another couple that run with a 12V solenoid at the water inlet, gravity fed from a 10l container container. That setup is handy if running on a wood fire, have variable heat and have to fetch the water. Both systems have valves controlling the flow rate to the maximum I expect they will need during the run.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris , any chance of a pic of that liebig . You've mentioned it a few times . Sounds interesting . A pic makes things clearer in some folks minds .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Not really. I'm not big on posting photos and the only drawing was never finished and doesn't show everything. It's pretty simple stuff.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Curious about the weir and how you implement that .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The weir is a reservoir that overflows into the condenser feed, ideally through a V, but I didn't bother and just connected the condenser inlet hose with a bulkhead fitting. Surface area is more smoothing than volume, so my container is on it's side. Clear container, so that I can see the level and can see the stream into it if I want to adjust the flow rate.

Mains water goes into the weir via a pressure reducer then a water solenoid valve raided from a washing machine.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

JUKINGZACK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:52 am
... get a sink adapter that will hook to the water hose that has a valve on it I can open and close but just leave the sink hand in the on position and just crack the valve ...
👍👍👍

🎱
malt_gt_milton
Novice

Post by malt_gt_milton »

I use an icemaker water tap with valve (ten bucks at Homie Depot), I tap into a cold water line closest to my rig, and use the valve to regulate flow. Its a small water flow even with the valve wide open. I have found this super easy to get just the right flow.

mgtm

icemaker-water-tap-with-valve.jpg
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God’s ways to man. — A. E. Housman (1859–1936)
JUKINGZACK
Novice

Post by JUKINGZACK »

You guys are such pros I’m sitting here thinking in the back of my mind “what the hell did I get myself into!? Lol” :lolno:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

JUKINGZACK wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:33 am You guys are such pros I’m sitting here thinking in the back of my mind “what the hell did I get myself into!? Lol” :lolno:

Beginning to see why I said "slow down a bit and think carefully before buying a still"?.......you aint even scratched the surface yet...in about 4 years you might start to realize what you don't know.....that is if you stick with us for that long.
For what its worth your over thinking things imo .....a liebig is an easy and forgiving condenser to run.....you will learn on the job. :thumbup:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

JUKINGZACK wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:33 am You guys are such pros I’m sitting here thinking in the back of my mind “what the hell did I get myself into!? Lol” :lolno:
It doesn't have to be complicated. This 'pro' sometimes uses a Crescent spanner to pinch the hose to get the flow rate he wants :D
Sulaiman
Novice

Post by Sulaiman »

A simple method to get a constant water pressure is to siphon water from an elevated toilet cistern.
In my case I have an upstairs toilet so it's easy.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Sulaiman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:22 am A simple method to get a constant water pressure is to siphon water from an elevated toilet cistern.
Epic. :clap: 🎱
malt_gt_milton
Novice

Post by malt_gt_milton »

8Ball wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:13 am
Sulaiman wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:22 am A simple method to get a constant water pressure is to siphon water from an elevated toilet cistern.
Epic. :clap: 🎱
+1. I love simple, elegant solutions, and this is right up there. "Tanks" a lot. :thumbup:🥃️
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God’s ways to man. — A. E. Housman (1859–1936)