Flake stand

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ericg0729
Novice

Flake stand

Post by ericg0729 »

Good evening everyone. I am currently using a old soda keg as a flake stand. I have been using frozen bottles of water to keep the worm cool but I'm looking for a better way to keep everything cool while running. Any ideas on how to go about it?
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Flake stand

Post by HomerD »

I use a liebig or a shotgun, but I circulate water from a 55 gallon barrel or a 330 gallon tote with a small pump. I use the tote for longer runs.

Homer
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Two options in my opinion: get a bigger flake stand or pump water through it. Recirculate from another big reservoir or run tap water through it.
I use my underground rainwater reservoir. When that's empty I run tap water and let the water exit into said rainwater reservoir.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

So heres the thing . With a pot still ( which is what you have ) , it will take about 2 times as much volume of water as you have in your boiler to do a run .

OK , say you got 10 gal in your boiler . It will take 20 gal of water to condense it during the run .

Whether you just get a 20 gal drum to stick your worm in or recycle 20gal of water round and round your flake stand .... end of day , thats how much water it will take .

Doesn’t matter if you got a Liebig or a shot gun condenser .... still gonna take 20 gal of water pumping through it to get that 10 gal in the boiler run through .

(OK .. its a ball park figure and depends on initial temp of water ... but its close enough to cover all situations )
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Supporto per fiocchi

Post by Demy »

Hello, besides you have good advice given by others, it also depends on whether you want to keep your set-up or make changes i.e. if you want to keep the serpentine you could dip it in a larger container or circulate the water (with a small pump) from a large container up to your "bucket" that contains the serpentine, a closed circle. There are many options, these are just a few.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Corsaire wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:29 pm Two options in my opinion: get a bigger flake stand or pump water through it. Recirculate from another big reservoir or run tap water through it.
I use my underground rainwater reservoir. When that's empty I run tap water and let the water exit into said rainwater reservoir.
This would be the easiest solution, however I didn’t see where anyone mentioned a coolant pump or system. Many craft distilleries are using this system.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I added one after I did my sac run and found my flake stand horribly undersized.