Just got my new 13 gallon milk can boiler

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fishkiller68
Novice

Just got my new 13 gallon milk can boiler

Post by Fishkiller68 »

boiler.jpg
I was so excited to get it.. thought it looked amazing until my wife, who is an avid spell checker, read the engraving back to me.. I know its not big deal but definitely would have felt better if everything was correct. Oh well.
dpschein
Novice

Re: Just got my new 13 gallon milk can boiler

Post by dpschein »

Ha, I just looked at my 8 gallon I got for Christmas and it's spelled the same way! Works awesome though
Are those fried pickles dill or sweet?
They're round pickles..
Fishkiller68
Novice

Post by Fishkiller68 »

That's good to know... I feel better about doing my first run with it in a week or two now.
USMC Cntry Boy
Novice

Post by USMC Cntry Boy »

Please tell us you had someone build it for you and that you didnt buy it from a company if so not only us but the goverment knows you got one also not somethi.g i would personally want them knowing just saying
You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him learn

Manditory reading. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5&t=52975/
Fishkiller68
Novice

Post by Fishkiller68 »

I'm not too worried about them knowing. My friend Tickle is responsible for moving it from place to place to make sure we don't get caught :D
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I guess the guys over there (Colorado) have been tokin' a bit much....can't spell anymore (maybe they're not graduates). But I suppose they can weld stainless, or at least I hope they can.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

Say "distiller" as if you're drunk. It's spelled right...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

bellybuster wrote:Say "distiller" as if you're drunk. It's spelled right...
....dish...tiller????
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

Oh wow, I have one of those. I love the look vs. a keg. Yeah I'm on a list somewhere.

Now I need to go check it. Stand by...

Oh F me, hahaha! I too am a "moonshine disiller" :crazy: :D

Is it just me, or does anyone else very much dislike the term "moonshine"? To me, it denotes slack practice, shortcuts, rotgut crap, vs careful and prudent craft distillation. Our goal is to produce a product SUPERIOR in many ways to the average liquor store juice. I'd rather offer a friend a "Craft Distilled" beverage vs friggin' moonshine.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Fishkiller68 wrote:
boiler.jpg
I was so excited to get it.. thought it looked amazing until my wife, who is an avid spell checker, read the engraving back to me.. I know its not big deal but definitely would have felt better if everything was correct. Oh well.
bellybuster wrote:Say "distiller" as if you're drunk. It's spelled right...
BWAAAAHAHAHAH!!! I'm sorry to laugh but I couldn't help it.

Go check out this method and see if you can maybe etch a big eagle over the words to cover it. Or etch a "XXX" jug in the middle to cover just the misspelling.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
Tap
Swill Maker

Post by Tap »

BigSwede wrote: Is it just me, or does anyone else very much dislike the term "moonshine"? To me, it denotes slack practice, shortcuts, rotgut crap, vs careful and prudent craft distillation. Our goal is to produce a product SUPERIOR in many ways to the average liquor store juice. I'd rather offer a friend a "Craft Distilled" beverage vs friggin' moonshine.
it's not just you... http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=53552
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

I ordered one a few years back now from another company, i special requested one with NO etching, which they promised i was getting a milk can with no etching... it was etched... i hate that, but i love the function of the item. the can itself is not a serial numbered item, and upon asking the vendor whom was required to submit still sales to TTB, they told me my name was not on the list they needed to submit, as it was just a milk can and also i did not receive a letter from TTB... thus I am hoping it is a good sign.

as for the spelling issue... if interrogated by federal agents as to whether you are disTilling or not you can look straight at them and say NO .... because you are truly a disiller just look at your Can.... some times spelling makes all the difference, ask any politician, or lawyer.

I never refer to anything as moonshine, amongst the very few people aware of my activities we are known to discuss the properties of various "Solvents" and only then i only refer to the name of the recipe.
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
BigSwede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BigSwede »

In our house, we have a theme that I call "Country Clutter" behind my wife's back... too many old farm and kitchen knick-knacks from the depression era and before - tin signs, that sort of thing.

The milk can sits nicely on a corner table with a handful of plastic flowers and foliage stuck in there. It's a decorative piece.
Missed that one, good read.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Rastus wrote: the can itself is not a serial numbered item, and upon asking the vendor whom was required to submit still sales to TTB, they told me my name was not on the list they needed to submit, as it was just a milk can and also i did not receive a letter from TTB... thus I am hoping it is a good sign.
I asked a company about a milk can, too. They said, "as long as you are only buying the can, your name doesn't go on a list. if you buy a condenser or a whole setup, we have to keep that. But if you just buy a milk can, we aren't required to report it."

All these letters got me thinking, and curious. If you find a company that accepts payment by money order, you could just buy a money order with cash, mail it in with your order, and give a fake name. Have it shipped to a friend's house. "nope, no one by that name, here."

edit: different states may have different rules. I called another company that said if you buy ANY parts from them, even just a milk can, they have to keep a record and turn it in.
Last edited by muscashine on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

I sure am glad of that! I sure had a hankering to take the easy way out and buy one pre-made.... but now i have built my own and am very glad i did just because i have that knowledge and understanding( the copper part)

I love my milk can it is easy to wash and use and is just the right size for my self serving needs.

have a good one..
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
bads197
Novice

Post by bads197 »

I just got one from the same company, I recognize the logo, and on the newer ones it's spelled correctly.

They must have had a run where someone fell asleep.

The light etch looks like it's going to rub off at some point, at least the one I have sitting on my desk here at work.. LOL
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

How was it dealing with that company? Emailed them with a question and received no answer. Also, phone # not working.
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
Desvio
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Desvio »

I ran across two numbers for them some time back, one worked and one didn't, dunno why. You can leave a message but it will take days for them to get back to you, they do NOT respond to emails or Facebook, kind of a bummer on customer service.

Their shipping is super fast, and craftsmanship is amazing. Fortunately the etching on mine buffed out completely leaving no trace.
People say that I'm a bad influence. I say the world's already f#cked -- I'm just adding to it.