Vacuum relief valve suggestions?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guerilla Distillah
Novice

Vacuum relief valve suggestions?

Post by Guerilla Distillah »

I'm working through the necessaries to convert my current setup to a steam jacketed BM. I can't seem to find any vacuum relief valves that actuate at low pressures. I am planning to use a five psi PRV. Anybody have any suggestions or appointing the right direction to find something for this application? A couple of the big distilling equipment joints have tried clamp options which are two in one but they're quite pricey and overkill for my situation I think.

Thanks
GD
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Vacuum relief valve suggestions?

Post by shadylane »

You might be able to use a simple check valve
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GDXA60/ref=biss_dp_t_asn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

While this is a little spendy, it's what I'm using for my new build. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111758631321

It is a combo PRV and vacuum break. It comes setup for 15 psi PRV, but you can adjust it down. I've set mine to 3 psi. What I like about it is that it is 2" tri-clamp so it fits into my modular philosophy.
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

shadylane wrote:You might be able to use a simple check valve
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GDXA60/ref=biss_dp_t_asn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
So just screw it into my manifold and leave the suction end open? Will it handle the five psi pushing out? That's a pretty simple solution and affordable. Although hillbillies version is much sexier. And essentially only requires a $15 ferrule and another trip to the fabricator

GD
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Guerilla Distillah wrote:So just screw it into my manifold and leave the suction end open?
Have the arrow on the valve pointed towards the boiler and the other end open
Remember this is just a suggestion that might work.
I haven't done it myself yet :lol:
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

Think I'm just gonna play it safe and get the AC/DC jobber you recommended RWHB. when it blows does it blow out the top, or out the holes on the side so needing some kind of cover like a bucket or sturdy cup forcing the hot discharge downward. Would seem kinda dumb and sortof anti personnel mine-like if it was the latter.

GD
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Guerilla Distillah wrote:Think I'm just gonna play it safe and get the AC/DC jobber you recommended RWHB. when it blows does it blow out the top, or out the holes on the side so needing some kind of cover like a bucket or sturdy cup forcing the hot discharge downward. Would seem kinda dumb and sortof anti personnel mine-like if it was the latter.

GD
It blows out the holes in the side. BTW, there are 2 springs inside, a small one to control vacuum and a larger one to control pressure. The vacuum is set ok, but I feel that 15 psi is too high for pressure. What I did was unscrew the top cap (which contacts the pressure spring) and wrapped some thick (yellow) teflon tape in the threads for a tight friction fit. I then added 2 o-rings (1 1/2") that i had laying around over the threads as a spacer. I attached the valve to a tee with a barbed end on one side and a 0 - 5 psi pressure gauge on the other. I added some compressed air and screwed the cap in until I got my set point of 3 psi. I also scribed a line on the cap and the body as an index that I could look at and see if it had moved for some reason.

I didn't worry about the steam escaping at 3 psi, I worry more about it not escaping.

For my use, this is just a last ditch at safety, as I have this mounted on a tee with a ball valve mounted on top and this mounted on the side. I plan to always open the valve when I shut down the boiler power and considering that my connection from the boiler to the mash tun / thumper is 2" I would hope that I would never see an over pressure situation.
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

RedwoodHillBilly wrote:
Guerilla Distillah wrote:Think I'm just gonna play it safe and get the AC/DC jobber you recommended RWHB. when it blows does it blow out the top, or out the holes on the side so needing some kind of cover like a bucket or sturdy cup forcing the hot discharge downward. Would seem kinda dumb and sortof anti personnel mine-like if it was the latter.

GD
It blows out the holes in the side. BTW, there are 2 springs inside, a small one to control vacuum and a larger one to control pressure. The vacuum is set ok, but I feel that 15 psi is too high for pressure. What I did was unscrew the top cap (which contacts the pressure spring) and wrapped some thick (yellow) teflon tape in the threads for a tight friction fit. I then added 2 o-rings (1 1/2") that i had laying around over the threads as a spacer. I attached the valve to a tee with a barbed end on one side and a 0 - 5 psi pressure gauge on the other. I added some compressed air and screwed the cap in until I got my set point of 3 psi. I also scribed a line on the cap and the body as an index that I could look at and see if it had moved for some reason.

I didn't worry about the steam escaping at 3 psi, I worry more about it not escaping.

For my use, this is just a last ditch at safety, as I have this mounted on a tee with a ball valve mounted on top and this mounted on the side. I plan to always open the valve when I shut down the boiler power and considering that my connection from the boiler to the mash tun / thumper is 2" I would hope that I would never see an over pressure situation.
Thanks Hillbilly. Really good explanation on how to dial down the pressure on that valve
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

For over pressure it would be safer to use a pressure switch to shut off the heat to the boiler than to rely on a relief valve that could get blocked in the event of a puke.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

shadylane wrote:You might be able to use a simple check valve
+1 on the check valve.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

For vacuum relief on an electric still with a thumper, install an NO solenoid valve on the thumper that opens when the power is lost in the event of an element failure, power failure, or anything else you think might cause a vacuum.
Guerilla Distillah
Novice

NZChris wrote:For over pressure it would be safer to use a pressure switch to shut off the heat to the boiler than to rely on a relief valve that could get blocked in the event of a puke.

I'm not sure I can for see how it would "puke?" It will be eight sealed jacket containing nothing more then 50/50 E.G./H20... Can just liquid passing through it if it pops, cause it to foul and clog?

GD