Keg Boiler with Cabinet Build Story

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Keg Boiler with Cabinet Build Story

Post by Badmotivator »

rumBum2 wrote:thanksforthebadmotivation
You're super welcome, and thanks for your kind words. I know I didn't invent any of these ideas. I learned basically everything on this forum. I agonized over optimizing the design, though. And then there were a lot of hours of labor and explaining myself to my wife. I'm proud of all that. :)

If you haven't already, check out the Badmotivator Barrel in my sig. I did "invent" that, and I think it could really help home distillers a lot.
thegreatstate
Novice

Post by thegreatstate »

Badmotivator, I'd love to see pictures of where this keg build is at if you get some time. What a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

thegreatstate wrote:Badmotivator, I'd love to see pictures of where this keg build is at if you get some time. What a beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out this thread, very picture heavy of his beautiful still.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=330
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

Snackson wrote:
thegreatstate wrote:Badmotivator, I'd love to see pictures of where this keg build is at if you get some time. What a beauty.
Check out this thread, very picture heavy of his beautiful still.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=330
That thread is a rathole! I know because I lived in it for a month. Hang tight, TGS, and I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow. :)
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I was stripping a bunch of Pinot Noir today, so I got pics of R5-D2 in pot still mode. Here is what it looks like when stripping:
One unexpected benefit to the 8" opening in the top is that it makes storing the hardware easy:
Here is all of the stuff I store in the keg between uses:
The cords and controller live in the lower portion:
Chug-a-lug!
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

View through the top front sight glass of the Pinot noir heating up:Image
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

CM mode: 4 X 4" bubble cap, 4" reflux condenser.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

ingenious way of storing your column :thumbup:
Don't be a dick
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Keg Boiler with Cabinet Build Story

Post by Badmotivator »

Twenty years ago I saw a picture of a beautiful grand handmade wooden painting easel with an enigmatic decoration at the top. Engraved in a badge were the words "trying to make it real compared to what". I didn't know what the hell that meant, but I liked it.

Fourteen years ago when I was playing and studying jazz I came across a song recorded by Les McCann and Eddie Harris called "Compared to What". Aha! Here's that song: (doesn't show up on tapatalk? Switch to browser view)
I still didn't know what the hell it was about, but I loved it. If you're at all inclined toward jazz, give it a good listen.

Yesterday I electro-etched this on my reflux condenser: Image
It's my anthem now. :)
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I got Live at Montreau when it was new, I was young, and Robert Cray was the house band at the Eugene Hotel. Brought it home in the same bag with Bitches Brew. "Compared to What" has been a favorite ever since. Keep trying, Badmo.

Oh, yeah, and your still is looking awesome too.
Last edited by skow69 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Tombstone
Novice

Post by Tombstone »

I have to say :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:. I am making a cabinet for mine too. All most don my last piece of the puzzle should come next week. Nice work bud
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

As always - Nice work BadMo :thumbup: :thumbup:
greybeard
Novice

Post by greybeard »

Didn't see it in your thread, but I curious what you did to get your keg to shine. I have cleaned mine up with 50 grit paper. Gave me a cleaner "brushed" finish. But would love to get mine shinning.
Greybeard
"Keep it secret. Keep it safe." -Gandalf the Grey
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

greybeard wrote:Didn't see it in your thread, but I curious what you did to get your keg to shine. I have cleaned mine up with 50 grit paper. Gave me a cleaner "brushed" finish. But would love to get mine shinning.
Oh, boy, get ready for some work my friend. I used sandpaper with incrementally finer grit, up to 2000, and then switched to a polisher (Harbor Freight 7 in. 10 Amp Heavy Duty Digital Variable Speed Polisher) with the stitched cotton buffing wheel and two different abrasive waxes.

I don't know if I did it the smartest, fastest, or cheapest way. Sorry. Maybe someone else could advise you there. I do have a bit of advise on how to approach it though: pick a small patch about as big as your open hand and do the whole process on that all the way to completion. You will learn from your mistakes (like failing to fully remove the 50-grit scratches with the 100 or 200 before moving up the numbers) without too much sunk cost, so when you go to do the whole thing you will already know what to look for.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Badmotivator.

That's the way I also get all my stainless shiny, I go all the way down to grid 3000, though.
I use emery cloth designed for wet polishing and the last pass is done with some dishwasher soap + water.
A stainless steel rotary brush for the drill or angle grinder smoothes out the last small scratches. NOTE it's essential it is genuine stainless..not mild steel..or the surface will be pitted with rust particles soon.
Then it's time for the buffing wheel and some wax.
One will get a mirror-like finish...but it takes some reeeeeeally hard effort to get there.
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

Be sure to wash it between each grit size. You don't want stray bits of larger grit staying around when you're using a finer grit, or you'll be adding scratches instead of removing them.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Beautiful work!

Trying your music, I got a message that it was removed, due to copyright, or something like that.
But I found this in stead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJzCdgB3Tc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Nice music!
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

A member messaged me recently asking me about the element orientation on my boiler. What's the minimum charge, how do I like it, etc. On a different thread (http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... 88&t=64473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow) I posted this, which might answer these questions for the next guy to come around:
badmotivator wrote: My boiler's element location is a little unorthodox. I went up through the bottom of the keg and then bent the elements down to a flatter posture. I have a very low minimum charge, though probably not much less than a low-on-the-side orientation. I have been very happy with the results. The advantage is that the element guard and cord stuff is out of sight. The disadvantage is that there are two small wells that do not drain, but I find them easy to rinse them out.

There is a trick to bending copper-jacketed elements without breaking them: anneal with a torch, bend a little, repeat as needed.
The minimum charge is probably 3 or 4 gallons since the elements are still covered below 2 gallons. I haven't yet had a project where it was even close to an issue.
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

Rat hole is right....or better yet Rabitt Hole...

Inspirational none the less. Scribbling notes down as I read through...
"If you look down at me you'll see a fool; if you look up at me you'll see a god; if you look straight at me you'll see yourself"....C.manson
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

Danespirit wrote:+1 Badmotivator.

That's the way I also get all my stainless shiny, I go all the way down to grid 3000, though.
I use emery cloth designed for wet polishing and the last pass is done with some dishwasher soap + water.
A stainless steel rotary brush for the drill or angle grinder smoothes out the last small scratches. NOTE it's essential it is genuine stainless..not mild steel..or the surface will be pitted with rust particles soon.
Then it's time for the buffing wheel and some wax.
One will get a mirror-like finish...but it takes some reeeeeeally hard effort to get there.
How are you incrementally going through the grades of sanding paper? By hand, flapper wheel with an angle grinder, palm sander?
"If you look down at me you'll see a fool; if you look up at me you'll see a god; if you look straight at me you'll see yourself"....C.manson
Badcompany
Novice

Post by Badcompany »

greetings! I found your build and now I am in the process of rebuilding my keg. I want to add a sight glass and was wondering where you sourced the Allen bolt style sight glasses at?
thanks mate
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

Very stylish boiler
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

sight glass looks like stilldragon:
https://stilldragon.com/2-brass-sight-glass-kit.html
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

I remember reading about this still in anticipation of building a keg for myself and I think it was seriously one of the best I had seen anywhere on the net.

Like a piece of art. :D with all the customization.
uncle_jack
Novice

Post by uncle_jack »

Badmotivator, amazing work! Hope you're still happy with ur build?

I plan on adding a 4 inch ferrule to my keg as filling and cleaning port and want to solder it, just the way you did with the 8 inch.
How did you heat the top of the keg? Should i try to heat evenly around the ferrule before adding the solder? Or is it better to start heating and soldering at some point on the ferrule, move a few inches forward and repeat heating and soldering?

Cheers!

Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

uncle_jack wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 am Badmotivator, amazing work! Hope you're still happy with ur build?

I plan on adding a 4 inch ferrule to my keg as filling and cleaning port and want to solder it, just the way you did with the 8 inch.
How did you heat the top of the keg? Should i try to heat evenly around the ferrule before adding the solder? Or is it better to start heating and soldering at some point on the ferrule, move a few inches forward and repeat heating and soldering?

Cheers!
Hey, friend, I just caught this question. Sorry I let you dangle.

I used a garden-variety propane torch for all of my soldering.

The big 8” ferrule sat nicely on the keg with no significant gaps. You might want to ensure that yours does too before soldering, so the solder doesn’t really have to fill much. I do recommend that you a) scratch and degrease all of the mating surfaces, and b) “tin” them separately before doing the joining. Is that the right term? I mean to say make sure the solder has wetted your surfaces before you put them together. You can sand that solder smooth and de-grease again if you need to.

I don’t think you will have any trouble if you just start in one spot and work your way around.

Hope that helps and I’m not too late. :)
Badjuju
Novice

Post by Badjuju »

Cashjon wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:59 am I don't mean to be the only naysayer of the bunch but being a welder (weld pipe all day) I have one major concern, that is with not having a full penitration welds on the ferrule or soldering inside and out of the ferrule,? I have not got my new keg yet but the way I'm going to do it is to have the whole the same size as ferrule this way I can have a small gap and tig the ferrule in so as to have a full penetration root. (No exposed shell on keg and no exposed pipe or neck of ferrule inside) The reason I'm addressing this is because of bacteria, by not having a smooth transition inside then it leaves a place for liquids to sit and bacteria to grow. That is my only concern. You obviously have a great work ethic and are meticulous. The job is beautiful as many have said. Maybe I'm wrong and you do have no cracks and crevasses for bacteria to flourish. But if you just set the ferrules on the shell and soldered them then there is definitely a concern. sorry for being the only one to see a potential problem but bacteria is a major concern.
Cashjon, I know this is a reply to an old post, but when soldering the solder flows to the flux. Flux the inside and outside and the solder will flow to both simultaneously. There won't be any of the voids you are concerned with. It sounds like you are assuming it just lays on top of the joint similar to a non penetrating fillet weld.
Old Man Bakke
Novice

Post by Old Man Bakke »

Glad to see this post pop up again! I run a very similar still...long live Badmotivator!