My new keg boiler

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Devon
Bootlegger

My new keg boiler

Post by Devon »

Just collected my new beer keg boiler, slightly bigger than planned but it's looking pretty smart.

4" ferrule at the top for the column, but for now with an adapter on top to allow me to use my 2" boka column

A 2" inch ferrule offset at the top for a sight glass / fill port

I have two 2" ferrules at the side to allow for 2x 2.5kw elements

And I've had legs added to allow for me to put a bottom drain in so I can make draining the boiler an easy and smooth process.
Image1461451965.307086.jpg
Image1461452035.761460.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Re: My new keg boiler

Post by Bushman »

Nice, I am thinking about adding that fill port on my set-up at times it would be very handy.
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

I just didn't want the hassle of disconnecting everything when I wanted to fill it. Now it's just fill and go, the same for draining, attach a hose to the drain open the tap and just leave it, easy
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Devon wrote:I just didn't want the hassle of disconnecting everything when I wanted to fill it. Now it's just fill and go, the same for draining, attach a hose to the drain open the tap and just leave it, easy
I love my drain port, also like the 4" ferrule at the top as my arm just fits in so once drained it's easy to reach in and wipe clean anything left in the bottom.
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

That's a second positive to the 4" I mainly used that size to allow for future expansion but ease of cleaning comes as a plus. My column has a flush system at the top so I can use that to clean the Column out in situ. Drain port will help me to collect backseat too
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I also collect my backset that way in a 2 quart pitchers so I can regulate the amount for future generations.
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

Nice idea, I will start to do that.
varocketry
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by varocketry »

I'm still stuck on not having access to a TIG welder.
-Just need something else to build. -
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

I was at that place for age. Just made loads of calls and visits to places an eventually i found someone
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

varocketry wrote:I'm still stuck on not having access to a TIG welder.
I did mine with just solder, can be done, a PITA for sure, but better than not having one
Don't be a dick
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

I found the issue was getting the holes cut
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

varocketry wrote:I'm still stuck on not having access to a TIG welder.
We were talking about stainless welding with stick on another thread. Shadylane made a boiler out of a double basin stainless sink, used stainless stick to weld together. I'm currently a welding student (almost done, CWB certified though), asked my instructor about the problem of sugaring on the inside of a joint as I had heard of a product called solarflux. It'll stop the sugaring on the inside of the joint. I guess with a keg it would be getting it on the inside, although i'm sure imaginative ways could be thought of. Your shielding gasses from the flux coating on the stick should keep the weld side covered.

The only thing i could see being an issue with a keg is how thin they are. May want some preheating on the thicker ferrule but i've never done it, so maybe ask around. I was hoping corene would chime in the other thread about stainless stick welding, or another more experienced welder. Maybe somebody can here on how difficult it would be.

I have access to a TIG, luckily.
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Devon wrote:That's a second positive to the 4" I mainly used that size to allow for future expansion but ease of cleaning comes as a plus. My column has a flush system at the top so I can use that to clean the Column out in situ. Drain port will help me to collect backseat too

Devon, how is the flush system set up? I have heard a few mention one and I would love to drop one in my keg.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

There's just a pipe going in the top and points down. So j just turn a valve and it washes the column.
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by markieb »

:clap: looks like a bit of lab equipment there devon :-) looks great im from devon too lol
where did you get your elements from did you have to import them?do you have them run from a dimmer switch or a controller unit?uk side the info is a bit thin on the ground love your stuff been following since i came here :oops: STALKER ALERT :lol:
Devon
Bootlegger

Post by Devon »

Hey,

The elements came from angel homebrew and I swap them out to run in my brewery when needed as they were £80 an element. I built an independent controller for the elements, one is directly plugged into the power and the other goes into a controller inbuilt in an old ammo can.

I built the boiler so it's future proof and those tri clamps really don make things professional