Would that be a nice boiler?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jeanto
Novice

Would that be a nice boiler?

Post by jeanto »

Hello,

I found this morning a waterboiler in the trash. It's a 8 gallons / 30L stainless steel pot with an integrated heater 3500W. It can heat up liquid up to 97°C.
Looks like that:

Since I am gathering information to build a boka alambic, I was wondering if this would be an adequate boiler?
Do you think it is too small? Or do you forsee any other problem?
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Would that be a nice boiler?

Post by Swedish Pride »

lots of folks have a water urn like that, a few mods and it should be able to do a good job for you.
Don't be a dick
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I think for starters it is too large, maybe. Although the first times you should only run half filled, so the actual size is 15 l.
But I agree with Swedish Pride.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Kareltje wrote:I think for starters it is too large, maybe. Although the first times you should only run half filled, so the actual size is 15 l.
But I agree with Swedish Pride.
Why do you think it's too large? Most people here have started out with kegs at 15.5 gallons. Eight gallons is not a bad size as we recommend the smallest size to run is 5 gallons. We make that recommendation because one of the toughest things to do when getting started is making good cuts. Having said that we do have members that have made very good liquor in smaller set ups. BigBob is one example so it can be done smaller just not as easy.
jeanto
Novice

Post by jeanto »

thx for the quick answer.
I guess I could figure that myself but ... I ask.
If I understand correctly the max 97°C boiling point will not be a problem since I will never have to reach this T°! correct?

One more thing, there is 2 dots of resin and a sealing line to waterproof the heating element. I don't knwo what it is, not silicon. It's black and hard. My guess would be some sort of epoxy. it's in the bottom of the tank so in contact with the mash but not the ethanol vapor. What do you think about that?
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

It looks like it has a lot of potential and I think 8 gallons is a really nice size.

However, it should really be modified to bring it up to standards established in the required reading here.

Such as no synthetics like any of the plastic or 'epoxied' parts, gaskets of unknown composition, and things like that.
jeanto
Novice

Post by jeanto »

@Kegg_jam what reading are you refering to?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

jeanto wrote:@Kegg_jam what reading are you refering to?
Read the entire parent site three times and then crankys spoonfeeding topic and all of the topics linked within... That's for starters... Reading the parent site just once won't let things gel properly in the gray matter which is why three readings is suggested... You need to know what you need to know before you need to know it...
jeanto
Novice

Post by jeanto »

I am reading (takes long) and I uderstood plastic is a no go.
Really I have no clue how I will get rid of these epoxy seams... I discovered them after a carefull examination. The bottom of the tank is also not welded, it looks like glued!!!
What a disappointement...
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

rad14701 wrote:... You need to know what you need to know before you need to know it...
Ain't that the truth!
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

jeanto wrote:Hello,

I found this morning a waterboiler in the trash...
,,,I was wondering if this would be an adequate boiler?...Or do you foresee any other problem?
Hmmmm.....why do you suppose it was in the trash? Possibly, a leaker? Or, possibly the heat element is "tango uniform"???

Regardless, a heater like that would require removal of plastics and rubbers, including silicone seals (most likely the drain valve has a rubber/silicone seal in it). I like the sight glass on the side...as long as it too doesn't have a composite seal in it. The thermometer in the liquid chamber works as long as it is fully immersed in liquid...so think ahead about your wash and what the level may fall to as you boil off your alcohols. This is most worthy in a low wines run where the liquid may be as high as 40%ABV.

And finally, those heaters (in the water boiler urns) are thermostatically controlled. You'd have to reconfigure the control circuit to provide heat instead of temperature control.

How would you plan to seal the lid in the urn?

Though provoking comments, I hope....
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Unless you are well above sea level, you will have to bypass the 97C thermal switch, as the wash will have about 2% ethanol left in it that you might as well have, especially for flavored products.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Nice find and worth any required mods! I need to try more dumpster diving....
jeanto
Novice

Post by jeanto »

Dumpster diving is a must! I already found some crazy shit in my trash... a copper water boiler, a fridge, a sawdust vaccumcleaner... people trash things without thinking or things that require minimum fixing. So I did run the boiler, with water, sweet run, everything is fine. I am planing to adapt the top of the found copper waterboiler I found in the trash. A clean cut and it will nicely sit on top of the boiler with a flour joint. But that's for later.

- Regarding T°control. I will look into that! Any specific post to advice on the forum? I notice that there is 2 temperature sensor and I don't know yet why?

- regarding the epoxy / silicon seal:
I will change or remove the tap
After a carefull look, the heating element is welded not glued as I originally thought but the welding somehow looks oxidized, a bit whitish.
It also happen under the tank on other welding spot. I never saw such a reaction on stainless steel welding. Any idea?

Second, it's a weird design! The bottom is a U forced into a cylinder. The bottom is welded from under. see picture.
So it has a sort of a black epoxy coating to protect the weld from inside! I am sure it was not added later since it is between both layer of stainless steel.
My idea was to sand it off as much as I can. I think I would ruin everything trying to make a clean welding from the top. Any idea?
Attachments
weird epoxy seal
weird epoxy seal
Untitled-1.jpg (4.91 KiB) Viewed 3115 times
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I like to choose my battles if I can. you let opportunity choose a battle for you. that works sometimes.

if you had a keg every bit of work you do would be towards actually having a still that works.

as it stands the work you do to that coffee pot to make it a boiler will only get you to the point of having a boiler.

I understand the constraints of money, and the joy of a good score or a freebe, and yes it can be done.

would it be a nice boiler? not really compared to a keg.
jeanto wrote: I am gathering information to build a boka alambic
what is a boka alembic?
be water my friend
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

I'm with cob. Get a keg and save the aggravation.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Just use the copper water boiler you found!
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
jeanto
Novice

Post by jeanto »

Hound Dog wrote:Just use the copper water boiler you found!
Yes but this stainless tanks look nice and it looks really practical! but if it is too much work I will follow you advice.

@cob That's wise, just very hard to find a kegs around here and I thought I just add to adapt a nice top and tweak the t° controller which was pretty easy. So i plan to investigate a bit further about this black traces and decide what's the best option.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I found an old stainless urn.
Turned out to be copper lightly chrome plated.
Geoff
The Baker