Started building

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Started building

Post by Lyonsie »

Well I've started building my still today I'd hoped to upload pictures (but it wouldn't even let me attach one file size too large) I'm not very tech savvy so that was me lost straight away.
Anyway I have 2 kegs which I plan on welding together with the bottom end of one being the top of the still. The top part of this keg was cut off today along with the Base collar to give a nice rounded top to the still.
The bottom end of the other was also removed to facilitate the welding. This keg too will be upside down on the finished still with the original ferrule used as a drain valve.
I never would have thought working with stainless steel could be so hard. My poor grinder. Other than that everything went very well and i am extremly pleased with how the two cut peices married up after cutting.
Anyway my question is this given how hard a material it is to work with is it worth the effort trying to remove the ferrule from the discarded top end. Or has anyone any tips on how to get them out. Thanks in advance
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Re: Started building

Post by Hound Dog »

For a couple of bucks you can buy a 2 inch ferrule.

As for pictures, open one up on your computer using Paint. There is a button up top for resizing. Click on it and choose the largest size to be 800 then save it. Yes, you have to use your computer, not a phone..... They are easy to resize.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

20161004_171337-240x427.jpg
20161004_191533-240x427.jpg
20161004_174507-240x427.jpg
20161004_183549-240x427.jpg
Whoop it only took me all bloody night to figure it out :lol: I'll post more pictures tomorrow now. I'm tech savvy now 8) also i hope this is in the right section as I'm only building the boiler at the minute, copper is fecking expensive here.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Cheers hound dog. just figured it. Fucking spent all night googleing things I hadn't a clue about. And finally went to the app store. The pictures are from my phone. There's apps for it. :think:

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

And that ferrule will be staying where it is too :D
Good night from Ireland

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Lyonsie wrote:Cheers hound dog. just figured it. Fucking spent all night googleing things I hadn't a clue about. And finally went to the app store. The pictures are from my phone. There's apps for it. :think:
Good job! Yea, I use a tablet for most stuff and have an app to resize on it but it's really easier on the old computer. Way to go with the boiler! For the bottom half are you flipping the other keg over so you still hand the 2 inch ferrule that can be center of the bottom for a drain?
Using Google Search

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

That's the plan alright. There's two elements and a window going in the bottom too. Lmao I hope I don't have to buy as many hole saws as I did grinding discs :D

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Get a tungsten carbide grinding bit. I bought a cheap set for my die grinder. Get your hole close and grind it out with the carbide bit. They eat stainless for lunch.
Using Google Search

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Cheers will do. I only watched a very interesting video yesterday about if you tight fitted ferrules it is possible to solder them yourself. I'll definitely be giving that a go. I'm trying to keep costs down to save up for the copper.
The only thing I want to pay to get welded is the top to the bottom

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

There is much info on this forum about soldering stainless also. I have done it with great success. Harris Staybrite 8 and liquid flux work great. :thumbup:
Using Google Search

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Lyonsie wrote:
20161004_171337-240x427.jpg
20161004_191533-240x427.jpg
20161004_174507-240x427.jpg
20161004_183549-240x427.jpg
Whoop it only took me all bloody night to figure it out :lol: I'll post more pictures tomorrow now. I'm tech savvy now 8) also i hope this is in the right section as I'm only building the boiler at the minute, copper is fecking expensive here.

looks good so far lad, only I reckon you cut the wrong end of the keg, if you cut the bottom and welded it bottom to bottom you would have had a 2" on each end, one for the column and one for the drain.
Copper is not that dear is you go to a scrappie, about 5€ per KG, if you are close to Dublin I can send you the address of two scrappies I get copper from
Don't be a dick
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Cheers Swedish pride. That's fantastic news I'm not to far from Dublin at all. I deliberately cut the top off that keg as I'm future proofing it. There is a four inch ferrule going on top. As I'm pretty sure I'll be building a reflux colum someday too. I want both the pot and reflux to be interchangeable on the one boiler.
Glad I did now me poor grinder went up in flames and died a horrible death this morning. :lol: :lol:

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Well got back at this today. The first two pictures show the bottom of the boiler and drain hole, the the third the top and the fourth the boiler as it stands.
I filled the top half with water today and it took 43 liters ( about 11.3 gallons) therefore at the minute if welded together it should hold about 86 liters or 23 gallons approx.
I originally set out to stop now and leave it that I could put a condenser column on top at some point in the future if I ever make one. Lol I'm fairly sure I will.
The temptation is there now but to get another keg and add a middle peice by chopping the top and bottom off it which should bring it up around the 30 gallon mark but then it's a pot still for life due to obvious height restrictions.
Has anybody got such a boiler?

I
Attachments
20161009_173752-240x427.jpg
20161009_173740-240x427.jpg
20161009_173730-240x427.jpg
20161009_170330-240x427.jpg

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Well I got back at this today I've changed it to a 30 gallon (approx) boiler and started building a thumper too as I'm waiting on my ferrules now. The bottom two pictures are of the thumper with the original ferrule again being used for drainage.

This is probably in the wrong forum now so if a mod would please move this to the construction forum I'd be very grateful
Attachments
20161011_162207-240x427.jpg
20161011_161938-240x427.jpg
20161011_152901-240x427.jpg
20161009_173752-240x427.jpg

okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

:thumbup: :idea: you got me thinking, mate!

Great idea putting two together :ebiggrin:

What do you plan on making?
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

It wasn't my idea, I seen it elsewhere. It's actually 3 kegs and just over 4 foot high, you can't really see in the picture but there is one in the middle with the top and the bottom cut off. It's going to be a whiskey still. lol to start with anyway. I've an awful feeling it might evolve a bit down the line :lol:

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Cough...!!! Looking a bit bigger than 30 gallons if using three kegs...!!! Cough...!!!
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

You would actually be surprised at the amount of volume you lose once you cut them. A keg holds 15.5 gallons. Well i've filled the top third of this still with water and it came to 11.5 gallons. (4 gallons gone by chopping only one end off) If you take the bottom half of the still as being the same (untested because I've no plug at the minute) but it will be there or thereabouts.That gives a total of 23 gallons.
Next you cut the top and bottom off another keg which would be 15.5 gallons - 8 gallons =7.5 gallons add that to 23 gallons. It's a 30 gallon still. When it's welded up and sealed I'll post exact capacity :D

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

You could give the diameter and length of the cylinder and know the capacity without filling it. Not that I as a lover of personal liberty care one way or the other. :ebiggrin:
Using Google Search

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

I'm that ocd I'm after getting outta bed and getting the tape measure out 48" top to bottom from floor. 15.2" inside diameter. Translates to 44" between ends of kegs tapering in, ie 32 to 33 gallons. Would this be correct?

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

I come up with 34.5 gallons. Are you sure you didn't misread the tape and it is 14 inces inside diamerter? :ewink: That would put you just over 29 gallons. :ewink: :?
Using Google Search

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Your measurements from the PM equate to 40 gallons... Dropping from 48" to 36" equates to 30 gallons... They are 15.5" kegs...
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Done with this petty shite. I said I'd cut it. Lovely to meet you too

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

That's what size they are. My build is fine :D
Attachments
20161012_030627-240x427.jpg

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Just keeping you honest like everyone else... Our forum, our rules... Just that simple...

Measuring tape looks photoshopped but whatever...
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

they are not 15.5G kegs, they are 50l kegs, that's 8l less per keg compared to us size, so before any cuts are made its a total of 24 l less than 3 US kegs or just a smidge over 2.5 US kegs... before cuts.
Hound Dog wrote:I come up with 34.5 gallons. Are you sure you didn't misread the tape and it is 14 inces inside diamerter? :ewink: That would put you just over 29 gallons. :ewink: :?
I agree there, you've missread the tape, must been 14"

Also there will be an overlapp of materials, so my scientific maths gives me 28.982134 G
Don't be a dick
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

I certainly did not get up out of bed and photoshop a tape :lol: . You are right it is slightly over but not by 10 gallons. As has been stated the kegs are different. Tri clamps won't fit on the original keg connections for example. Nothing is welded yet. It's a work in progress. Its going to be a 30 gallon boiler. I hope that clarifies things.

wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

:|
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

I'm a think the boiler is like 24.99 gallons with just the right amout of boiler headspace...

Keep her going its looking good...

happy stillin,

FS
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Cheers for the encouragement FS. I fully intend on doing just that. Although iv already ordered some, iv found a new source of ferrules and clamps ect that's literally only up the road from me.I E-mailed them yesterday so hopefully there will be lots more progress on the boiler within the week.
I'm going to start working on the condenser the minute I get paid