Any Flat Bottom kegs ??

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MrBee
Novice

Any Flat Bottom kegs ??

Post by MrBee »

Sorry if I missed the answer in my search but I got a bit tired of reading.

I use a copper pot still now and have been thinking of building a SS keg boiler. However I use a high end single burner portable electric stove top as my heat source and want to continue to use that. Are there any kegs that have a flat bottom that will sit better on the burner or am I gonna have to modify the bottom ? I would like to make build a boiler in the 7.7 gallon range.

Thanks

MrBee
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Any Flat Bottom kegs ??

Post by still_stirrin »

MrBee wrote:... been thinking of building a SS keg boiler... Are there any kegs that have a flat bottom that will sit better on the burner or am I gonna have to modify the bottom ?
I'm not aware of any "flat bottom" kegs in production.

Your options are: 1) a $$$ stainless steel stock pot (commercial kitchen type), or 2) retrofit a Standard Sanke keg with a Tri-clover ferrule for mounting an internal electric water heater element (recommended). Or, 3) continue to use the flat bottom copper boiler you're using now (no change required).

Personally, I wouldn't try to "modify" the bottom (or inverted keg's top) with the hopes that it would set on top of your (external) heating element (hotplate), because the internal element is so much more efficient and much, much easier to integrate into a keg boiler design. To do otherwise, is "unwise".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
MrBee
Novice

Re: Any Flat Bottom kegs ??

Post by MrBee »

Thanks StillStirrin

I kinda figured the best way would be to just go with the internal element. I can handle any of the mechanical stuff and cuttin and soldering but aint to good with the electrics for the controller thingy.
My brain swims every time i start reading about that stuff on here.

Guess i'll have to give it a go.

MrBee