Welded Element Boiler Fitting

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cat herder
Novice

Welded Element Boiler Fitting

Post by cat herder »

I'm ready to start putting my boiler together. I need to drill holes for the elements, but before I do that I need to know how big to drill them. Do I drill them the inner diameter of the fitting and have the fitting welded around that hole, or the outer diameter and have the fitting welded within that hole? In the end it should look something like the pic, but a larger fitting ( ignore the penny).
Attachments
a1jnuf.jpg
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Welded Element Boiler Fitting

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Use a 2 inch ferrule with a Stilldragon element cover. Never look back.
Blah, blah, blah,........
TxBrewing
Swill Maker

Post by TxBrewing »

There are lots of places to get element enclosures and instructions on how to prep the holes. I went with 1.5 inch TC but that is what my brewery uses so that is why

Look at Brewhardware. I am not affiliated with them, but shops there often. Bobby has some nice videos and tutorials on his YouTube page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I drilled to the o.d. Figured if you drill to the i.d. you would have to shape the fitting to the curve of the boiler.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
cat herder
Novice

Post by cat herder »

skow69 wrote:I drilled to the o.d. Figured if you drill to the i.d. you would have to shape the fitting to the curve of the boiler.
Thanks skow thats what I figured.
MrBee
Novice

Post by MrBee »

I'm waiting on the Still Dragon element cover to arrive. I really like the looks and build of theirs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
joeymac
Swill Maker

Post by joeymac »

I went with the Brewer's hardware 2" element housing and it's REALLY nice. This sucker looks like it's machined from solid bar with single point cut threads.

Best way to do round holes in kegs are greenlee cutouts/punches. Perfectly round and smooth quickly. Used a greenlee for my 2" ferrules on the side and a dremel to cutout my 4" top ferrule. But my ferrules were silver soldered onto the keg using Harris Stay-Brite 8 and liquid acid flux... not soldered.
Last edited by joeymac on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks" - God (Isaiah 5:22)
So evidently, God wants us to drink our whiskeys single barrel and our Bourbons neat.
Skipper1953
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skipper1953 »

I have one of each, Brewers Hardware and SD in 2". You can't go wrong with either one.