propane burner advice

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Thatstink
Novice

propane burner advice

Post by Thatstink »

Hi guys. Just built a 4ft column and got a 50L pot on order. I now need a propane burner to heat it up. What size should I get.
Thatstink
Novice

Re: propane burner advice

Post by Thatstink »

Should have said its a 2 inch column.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

My 5 second search netted this one, amoung others. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 36&start=0
And another: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=26932

Try using the HDGoogle search...its a HUGE help.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

I use electric heating elements in all my still boilers because I personally don't care to have open flames anywhere around high strength alcohol, either liquid or vapors, but for my mash mixing pot, I use a single burner 30,000 BTU Camp Chef propane stove for a heat source. I never run it at "full-throttle" because it is very powerful, and would scorch the batch, but I like it because it has a nice large base for the pot to set on.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-SH-140 ... B0000ASCU9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
MashMixer2 (Custom).jpg
Flute_Still 007.JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Thatstink
Novice

Post by Thatstink »

I am really struggling with this one. Living in the uk puts another $100+ on shipping. Biggest burner I could find is 11kw. Trying to understand kw & btu is making me drink more of my stock.

Electric means I would have to change my RCD on fuse box. I plan to brew in garden as misses is OCD.

Have I got this right. For a 50l pot I need 52000btu and that's about 15kw ?? And will take 40 mins to boil.??
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

My 30,000 BTU burner = Just under 8.8 kW

1 BTU/hr = 0.00029307107 kW, ( or inversely, the power conversion of kW to BTU/hr is calculated as: P(kW) = P(BTU/hr)/3412.142 )

That said, I'm not sure that you would really need that many kW/hr, since, as you noted, 52,000 BTU's would necessitate a little over 15 kW of heat energy. I just don't think that you would probably need that much for a 50 L (13.25 Gal.) pot. FWIW, I have a 22 Gallon (83 L) mash mixing pot and I never run mine at more than about 15,000 BTU's, (or half the capacity of my burner,) because I don't want to risk scorching my grain near the bottom. It's not so much a problem when it's spinning, but when you shut down the mixer, it gets quite hot from the residual heat for a short time.

Didn't know that you were in the UK, and I'm sure that shipping charges would be quite high.
Last edited by Euphoria on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I think your over thinking it , you just need a 3 ring burner like this.
https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b9624 ... adde92.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

SB,
It's hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like it may be more than one would need as well. It would also need some kind of supporting platform to keep the pot upright. I wouldn't feel comfortable running a pot just on the burner itself, especially with a mixer running in it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Euphoria wrote:SB,
It's hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like it may be more than one would need as well. It would also need some kind of supporting platform to keep the pot upright. I wouldn't feel comfortable running a pot just on the burner itself, especially with a mixer running in it.
I run one Bayou Classic 60 k btu burner under my 15.5 keg with a 15.5 thumper . Have another cooking mash in a 30 gallon ss barrel .
I find no fault with either .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Saltbush Bill wrote:I think your over thinking it , you just need a 3 ring burner like this.
https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b9624 ... adde92.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Bill I have never seen those 3 ring burners outside of Australia/nz,

could you fill a shipping container and mail it to the states?? :wink:

I bought a 2 ring at the local Mexican store, but only 1 control not 3.

Thatstink find the threads here about wheel rim burners.
be water my friend
Thatstink
Novice

Post by Thatstink »

I guess UK residents don't use such powerful burners. I have found lots of cheap Chinese 7kw burners but only one dealer with a 3 ring 11kw. I might just go for that and do the car mount for it. Thanks for the link.

With so much heat all centred on the pan doesn't it burn.