Seam types

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Seam types

Post by Bavis54 »

Hi I'm building a 20 gallon pot and I was hoping some u guys could gimme some help or tips n tricks on shaping, forming and bending copper, and the types of seams you use for bottom pan and frustrums. I've built a couple pots doing the type on pint o shines designs. They turned out good but I'm trying get better at doing flat lock seams . I know how to do vertical seam going up boiler but the bottom pan and frustrum seams are giving me issues, I've been using map gas to heat, and pliers and hammers to do bending, was hoping some one here can gimme some pointers and help. Thanks for ur time, any help be much appreciated.
Last edited by thecroweater on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: correct the thread title
semper fi
Bushman
Admin

Re: Sean types

Post by Bushman »

You might get some good building tips from this thread:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p7036644
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Re: Seam types

Post by Bavis54 »

Thanks bushman, that was a help, I hadn't thought of building plywood form to bend copper over, that was a great idea, the thought of building an adjustable jig was also good, that's exactly what I need- now when I bend my 90 degree for cap, and bottom pans I keep getting ruffles and can't seem to get them all worked out no matter how much I anneal, I'll try the form n see how goes.
semper fi
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Unfortunately Mash Rookie is not with us anymore but he was a master builder and craftsman. His knowledge on jigs, welding, working with glass, and his need for knowledge led to a lot of experiments and innovations that helped advance the knowledge on this forum. Glad you found the information useful I am sure he is smiling down on us today!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hi Bavis,

I'm on the "Woo Hoo" thread below and Funnily enough I've been looking at flat lock seams on you tube today. Mostly they seem to be using Electric or oxy acetylene powered soldering irons of around 600 Watts for soldering them which is not quite what I was looking for. I did think perhaps if I did an upstand on each edge, one twice the height of the other and soldered the two together first, then used pliers etc to fold the longer over the shorter and folded both flat, It may be possible to run solder down the whole thing with a good torch.

There's also a demo of putting the frustrum on a commercial kit still, which the guy just seems to form very basic shoulders on and then floods the whole thing with solder.

Sorry I can't help further atm but if you keep posting, perhaps we can learn together 8) - Oh and ruffles - personally at the moment I'm expecting the same problem and thinking I may just cut through them and overlap. We'll see.
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Pikey, I think I've seen the vids u mention. The roofing copper vids use that seam but I was looking to try using that type Seam on boiler where frustum mates to cylinder, or where bottom pan mates to cylinder . Far as ruffles go- on my last one I just kept heating and hammering til I got it where I could use rivets to pull the cylinder to frustrum, then solder. But on the thread mentioned above- if u look at pics M R took and cut slices all around frustum where it was to be bent, then used plywood form to fold it over. I don't know bout the cuts, but the form he used was brilliant idea. I gonna try this method.
semper fi
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Been thinking about this Bavis and I like the plywood too - I'm looking to fold a lip Out on a cylinder. So I was thinking about car wheel rims. Perhaps cut one in half and bodge it so the two halves, cut away as necessary, fit one inside the other, clamp the cylinder between and heat / hammer to form the lip. Then I was looking at an old steel shelf keeping the rain off a barrow of firewood and thought "I could just cut a circle out of that shelf, use a plywood sheet cut the same as a strengthener and hammer/ heat on that ! Three simplle legs cut to hold the former at the right height for the cylinder and maybe we're in business ! Have to take a bit of time doing it, so the metal stretches as needed.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Here's another thread on a copper pot built.. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=39358

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Thank you SB :thumbup: That Flange he formed is what I was talking about as my "Lip".

I see he formed one from a piece of flat strip and soldered it on after. That looks like the way to go. I can open up some 3/4 copper pipe and form the angle from that. It'll be thicker that my sheet and will reinforce the mating flanges very well. I want to be able to dismantle the top, for cleaning and for access to the calorifier and fill and empty ports if required. Plus, I can keep the header tank copper and lid to form my Thumper out of 8)

Big help mate - Thanks.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Search here and other distilling forums for posts by "Myles" , Hes done a lot copper still fabrication using seams of different types. He usually puts a few good photos in the posts so you can see the end results.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Glad to be of help.. had bookmark copper work some years back, with the intent to maybe a copper pot, but age has a way to slow things down and had forgotten about them until this thread..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Search here and other distilling forums for posts by "Myles" , Hes done a lot copper still fabrication using seams of different types. He usually puts a few good photos in the posts so you can see the end results.
Thanks for that - I'm starting to plough through them. Clearly a man of knowledge and good sense. 8)
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Hi guys, I really appreciate ur input and help, I looked at threads posted n it was great help, I jus got my boiler done, I used flat lock seam on vertical seam, once I had body done I bent 1/4 inch lip at top n bottom of boiler, then folded the bottom pan over lip for bottom , this leaves a great saddle for solder to flow into, for frustrum or cape I cut the piece, rolled it to get the incline and did same, folded it over the lip I made on body of boiler . Once u use this trick, it worked out sooooooo much easier n better for me, as long as u measure correctly there is absolutly no need for clekos or rivets. I've tried add pics but I can't get file small enough to add here. Still gotta figure out wat I doin wrong.
semper fi
BrewinNStilling
Novice

Post by BrewinNStilling »

Good deal.

I had the same question, and you've answered it.

See if you can't get those pics sorted, as I'd love to check out your work.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Here's a few more ideas and tips on copper pot built..

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=52669

Mars

– Albert Einstein