How To Store Copper Pot

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

How To Store Copper Pot

Post by olecajun »

I did a search but then again I ain't that great of searcher. Can you tell me what post to search for keeping a copper pot clean when not in use ? Don't want that patina showing up. I am not talking about first runs or cleaning runs. But when your not running it is it app to get that patina in it if not used often ? If it sits for months ? This is the first copper pot for me. I don't mind readin if I can find it. Thanks for input. Probably a bit of a dumb question but I had to ask a head of time.
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: How To Store Copper Pot

Post by NZChris »

Do whatever you have to to keep it dry.
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

I hope it will be that easy. I have plenty of shop.So I guess if not gonna run for a while rinse & dry it out and cover the opening and it should be good. Just didn't want any blue drink when I start it up again. :mrgreen:
BDF
Swill Maker

Post by BDF »

Second post in the reading lounge about 'Cleaning a New Still' mentions copper laquer you can put on the outside after cleaning/polishing with steel wool and a buffing wheel to prevent oxidation:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p6848914
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Thanks. I wasn't worried about the outside, not wanting a show piece, just was wondering if there was a certain way to store it so it would not get the blue patina inside and need a scrubbing and vinegar run before using the next time. Don't need any blue hue in hooch. :mrgreen:
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I have stored copper still columns for over a year with no issues.. gave the items a hot vinegar soak, followed by a good hot rinse, air dried.. before using gave it the same again.. good as new..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Sounds like a plan to me. Just needed a little input from ya'll to know what to expect.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

olecajun your post sounds a little like you have confused the terms

patina and copper sulfate, patina is good, copper sulfate not so much. (the dreaded green stuff)
be water my friend
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

StillerBoy wrote:I have stored copper still columns for over a year with no issues.. gave the items a hot vinegar soak, followed by a good hot rinse, air dried.. before using gave it the same again.. good as new..

Mars
Unless they are completely dismantled, I can't think of a good reason to soak a copper column in any type of acid before long term storage, rinsed, or not. I'd rather leave them coated in the last run's fusel oils and do any clean up just before using them.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote: Unless they are completely dismantled, I can't think of a good reason to soak a copper column in any type of acid before long term storage, rinsed, or not. I'd rather leave them coated in the last run's fusel oils and do any clean up just before using them.
+1