Copper scrap in the wash?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

EventfulAnimal
Novice

Copper scrap in the wash?

Post by EventfulAnimal »

Hi all,

I'm making rum using an all stainless pot still. I don't have any copper packing (have ordered some but could be weeks away) so I'm thinking about just suspending a bunch of old copper scrap (mostly pipe bits) in the boiler during distillation. Any thoughts? Does it HAVE to be in the vapour stream?

Thanks in advance!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Copper scrap in the wash?

Post by Truckinbutch »

I use scrap 'boiling bits ' in the bottom of my propane fired boiler . Have always used them because of advice I got from old timers when I started here .
What works does not need to be fixed .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Only having copper in the vapor is not ideal.

This should answer your question. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0450.x/pdf
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I and a lot of other distillers run scrap copper in the boiler/wash.
I believe it helps, some will tell you different.
You will still need copper in the vapor path as well in my opinion.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Saltbush Bill wrote:I and a lot of other distillers run scrap copper in the boiler/wash.
I believe it helps, some will tell you different.
You will still need copper in the vapor path as well in my opinion.
I agree . SS boiler , thumper . All lines and condenser are copper .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Bagasso's experience in the thread that DerWo suggests is what i found with my very recent experiments. I figger he really saved my biscuits with that post and owe a debt of gratitude.

using an all SS still except 4 copper plates and i was getting awful smell. i added copper pipe to low wines for a week and it helped. then i added mesh in one of the plate sections (just loosely) and it helped more. Then i added scraps elbows to the 2nd plate and it helped to the point that i'm happy with the smell of the distillate finally.

lastly i added some pipe to the wash in the boiler and did not see a noticeable improvement over all the other copper already in place but i use it anyway. I don't put it in the active ferment.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

HDNB,
I think Bagasso would be happy to read your success in his thread. A few posts to him were a bit rough. When reading again this thread everything still sounds a bit like vodoo. Another positive report there would help.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg