Stainless pot clamps

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Stainless pot clamps

Post by Hilltop »

Does anyone know a link to stainless can cooker type hinges? These would be more useful on large stockpot still than clamps, the problem is I can't find where to purchase them.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Stainless pot clamps

Post by shadylane »

Not sure I'm reading the question right. :oops: :lol:
But something like this might work to clamp the lid on a SS pot
https://www.amazon.com/Vestil-LID-STL-L ... D7BF831RRT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Do you mean a pressure cooker used for canning ? If you do, these have a rotating lid lock...same as a rotating bolt on a semiauto rifle...they turn and lock tight, I've not seen one with a hinge type lock. I have an old cooker that has the wing-nut type lugs...
Cooker.jpg
Cooker.jpg (24.4 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
These you may have to "jerry rig"
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Post by Cu29er »

The links below are the type of clamping system I use on my stainless steel cook pot when I need the lid on tight. You don't need the wood round. In fact I made mine out of rectangular trim strips I had around. Drilled an offset hole so they could fit tighter and rotate the part covering the top so the diagonal is over the lid (basically offset the drill hole so the wood can reach further).
I found it's better to have taller wood both sides, with tight fit on the bolt-head side and loose fit on the wing nut side so it will slide even when 'steamed'. Maple or Poplar seem to be good choices for these.

Carriage bolts work best so you can tighten easily. I put six on the pot at the beginning and then have two spares to fill in if any lid leaks occur.

https://circuitsandstrings.files.wordpr ... hoto-3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://thecraftsmanspath.com/TCP_blog/w ... e_back.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Are you wanting something like this.
PC140009.JPG
These are from McMaster Carr part number is.
PC140001.JPG
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

Thing that the OP is looking up this alley. Good luck, Sir.

https://www.google.com/search?q=over+ce ... 94&bih=487" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

corene1 wrote:Are you wanting something like this.
PC140009.JPG
These are from McMaster Carr part number is.
PC140001.JPG
Something like the top picture, thanks. I have a large 20 gallon I believe stainless stockpot that's the thicker stainless I want to make into a still. It would be an upgrade from my 5 gallon hand-me-down. I use hand clamps on my small still but am looking for clamps I can weld on.

Not sure if I can find a bowl that large so I may use the lid itself, what's the the pros and cons of the flat lid? Would 1/2 inch tubing suffice or should I weld say a 1 inch copper pipe column. I'm sure the larger pipe will catch more vapor but is it enough to matter? My 5 gallon has 3/8 copper tubing.

The cycling of the hotplate is annoying, my hope is the thicker stainless will allow me to use propane. The pot is on hand and free, its not a keg but I think I will like the easy cleaning aspect of the pot. With that much of a larger size I think the welded clamps would be a safer option, wouldn't want to be on the news, ya know?

Shine on

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Ouch! These McMaster Carr Stainless clamps are 18 bucks a piece. Here's the link if anyone else is hunting them

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/2941/=18g1zlg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I'm gonna keep searching for a slightly cheaper but similar alternative. The problem with these hand clamps is they have a way of disappearing.Welding some on would eliminate that problem. You would be suprised to see the things kids and wives can do with these clamps!!! Lol! :ebiggrin:

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

These may work if they are indeed stainless

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PZYFNWG/re ... 8265821164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

You have to watch some of the Chinese so called stainless! As your Tungstun will soon tell you it's not the hard way.

On another topic the master Chemist-Distiller at work informed me today to not mix copper and stainless, something to do with the electralasis " forgive my misspelling" between the two metals. Now this is the first I've ever heard of this anyone else? Most all Stainless stills I've seen have copper worms or columns. Bending stainless tubing sho ain't easy.

They act like this guy is a genius at " Rupont" so his comment got my attention.
He makes a premo plum liquer.

Forgive my rambling, I'm bored and thinking