Replacing a 5 litre boiler with a 10 litre boiler

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rod
Swill Maker

Replacing a 5 litre boiler with a 10 litre boiler

Post by Rod »

I have an old 5 litre STILL SPIRITS reflux still which has served me well over the 10 years

I have only a small place to run my still and would like to replace the 5 litre boiler with a 10 litre boiler

my still spirits boiler works well , but I only make about 22 litres at a time , tossing about 2 litres of trub

the still bit runs well with marbles , a recent change

the current boiler is meant to run with an internal bare element with no adjustment , , but I put a thermostat into the power feed and can control the heat

I have looked on the internet and found this

https://www.crazysales.com.au/online-10 ... OCEALw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

make neutral , mainly for gin and a couple of mixers , like panty dropper

the lid looks like it may seal , the current lid on the old has a large ring with a clamp to prevent leakage

whats ya thinking , be nice :)
The Friendly Spirit
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Replacing a 5 litre boiler with a 10 litre boiler

Post by still_stirrin »

It has bakelite fittings and most probably rubber gaskets...not acceptable for hot alcohol vapors. I'd pass.

Get a 16 liter stainless stock pot and make a boiler. And a modified hotplate (thermostat replaced with a power controller) will work well to heat it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
thecroweater
retired

Re: Replacing a 5 litre boiler with a 10 litre boiler

Post by thecroweater »

you can get 25 litre boilers from any HBS or online bit if ya check eBay, Gumtree etc you van sometimes get them with or without stills pretty cheap. I got a little 5 litre one from an old ultra pure still so I'm well aware of its limitations. One day I may modify a lid to take a pots till for macerated gin but I was done doing cuts on that thing after a very short time. It was fun but it took dedication to run any mount :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin