Proper Ferrule Thickness for a Keg

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Proper Ferrule Thickness for a Keg

Post by Dewstiller »

Hi guys, :wave:

Did some digging but didn't find a topic about this, just wanted to quickly ask, when one is building a new Keg Still (just a run of the mill/standard keg) does the ferrules wall thickness matter?

For Example: Glacier Tanks has a good selection of different ferrules and has some specifically called "Tank Weld" ferrules, the walls are considerably thicker at .165 mm thick vs the standard .065 mm thick on a regular ferrule. The thicker ferrules are also about 44mm long vs. 28 mm long. 28 would seem to be enough at 1.10 inch length - giving just enough clearance for the weld and the clamp to properly function.

Thicker:
https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... -g200.html

Thinner:
https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp- ... -g200.html

The Thicker ferrules are about 2X as much money, do any of you guys that have built before think the extra cost is worth it or will the standard ferrules work fine? Ferrules would likely be TIG welded onto the keg vs. soldered. Thanks for any feedback.
HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Proper Ferrule Thickness for a Keg

Post by HomerD »

I used the thinner ferrules because I didn’t want all of the extra length. And it’s thick enough that you can tear the ferrule up before you will break the weld, if done properly.
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

I've bought 1", 2", 3", 4" and 6" ferrules from Glacier Tanks for my kegs and copper pipe. For 2" and 3" copper pipe ends I went with 21.5mm, which are ample for the job. For the keg itself, I went with the 28.6 mm for extra room for the ferrules. The 4" and especially the 6", the ferrule barrel thickness is significant, which creates a little more work for the welder trying to join it to a thin keg dome. I wouldn't go with tank weld ferrules just for this reason.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Thanks Homer and Twisted Brick. Very helpful! :)
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

The thicker glacier tanks tank ferrules aren’t necessary imo because the keg wall isn’t thicker. Pretty sure it’s all 15-16ga range so using the same thickness ferrule wall makes sense to me. The thinner ferrules are 16 ga.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

I measured the head thickness of one my kegs at .105 inch. Not sure if that helps. I am not sure if all are the same. They are made from 304 stainless.
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Thanks Pope I was thinking the same thing about the thickness being similar.

Thanks Jack, I think most of the modern day Kegs are 304 SS. Some information I read online indicates some older kegs from years ago pre-2000 might be thicker but I think all the newer ones are what you quoted.