Hole on top of keg, is it usable?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Roki
Novice

Hole on top of keg, is it usable?

Post by Roki »

Hello,

I'm gathering materials to make my first pot still. I'm in a small island and kegs in good conditions are not exactly easy to find.

I came across this 1/2 barrel keg:

half keg.jpg

The catch is it comes with a hole (apparently the brewery does that to all their discarded kegs so I know it's not stolen). Would it be worth it to use this as a boiler? I'm thinking I would have to find a SS piece/end cap and solder with silver. But I know soldering on SS is a little bit more complicated and honestly a little intimidating as I was only mentally prepared to solder on copper for my first build.

I was also thinking covering it with a small copper/SS end cap with flour paste as glue would technically suffice but knowing myself I think it's best for me to look for a permanent solution.

It also crossed my mind I could make use of it and find a way to install a thermometer there? But again I've read it's not the best spot to put it on if I wanted one.

Any thoughts on workarounds or procedures I should move forward with? Or should I just keep looking?
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hole on top of keg, is it usable?

Post by Bushman »

Yes, make it larger into a fill portal.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Should be fine. Plug it with paste. Later you can install a fill port and cap to make life easier.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Yummyrum »

Put a cork in it .... the hole in the keg I mean .
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm Put a cork in it .... the hole in the keg I mean.
LOL!

Your pilot hole has already been drilled for you. You don't have to add larger ferrules if doing so is a stretch. A 2" ferrule would prove beneficial in many ways. BobbyfromNJ has a solution that involves soldering instead of welding. Or, you could go the paste or cork route!
Keg port 1.jpg
Keg port 2.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Roki
Novice

Post by Roki »

Yummyrum wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm Put a cork in it .... the hole in the keg I mean .
:D

This might be a silly question. Would forcing a cork into it actually suffice by itself? Or would flour paste still be needed to seal edges?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Roki wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:30 pm
Yummyrum wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm Put a cork in it .... the hole in the keg I mean .
:D

This might be a silly question. Would forcing a cork into it actually suffice by itself? Or would flour paste still be needed to seal edges?
The hole doesn't appear to be perfectly circular, so you'll probably require paste. Give it a go with water and determine for sure what is required.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Roki »

Awesome, thanks so much for the answers! :D

Also one last thing, the guy offered welding the hole with argon. On all the reading I remember it talks about soldering, but not welding. Would using argon here be safe? Seems like a permanent solution and if it's safe I rather go that way.
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

You are breathing argon right now. No problem welding with it. Your buddy should shoot for a sanitary weld but there is no real health issue anyway.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Had another thought if the hole isn’t too large pfc tape around a temperature gauge.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Bushman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 pm Had another thought if the hole isn’t too large pfc tape around a temperature gauge.
After which put a good size piece of tape over the gauge so you won't be tempted to read it :wink: :lol:

Cross flow condenser

Post by Twisted Brick »

I would use a thermometer in my boiler to let me know how close I am to getting to takeoff.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:47 pm I would use a thermometer in my boiler to let me know how close I am to getting to takeoff.
:thumbup: That is the way I use it on my CM not as important on a pot still.
Roki
Novice

Post by Roki »

Bushman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 pm Had another thought if the hole isn’t too large pfc tape around a temperature gauge.
I thought only PTFE tape could be used near these things???? :oops:

This is what came up when I searched PFC. I appreciate all the suggestions people. Now I'm starting to feel my questions are too silly, getting ready to get flamed. :shifty:
Last edited by Roki on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Roki wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:33 pm Awesome, thanks so much for the answers! :D

Also one last thing, the guy offered welding the hole with argon. On all the reading I remember it talks about soldering, but not welding. Would using argon here be safe? Seems like a permanent solution and if it's safe I rather go that way.
i'm no expert, but i thought it was best to purge all 'hygenic' S/S welds with argon gas.
https://www.penflex.com/weld-purging-with-argon-gas/
Last edited by howie on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

howie wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:20 pm
Roki wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:33 pm Awesome, thanks so much for the answers! :D

i'm no expert, but i thought it was best to purge all 'hygenic' S/S welds with argon gas.
Yup, prevents the welds from sugaring. Perfectly safe, argon is an inert noble gas.

Cross flow condenser

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Roki wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:33 pmWould using argon here be safe? Seems like a permanent solution and if it's safe I rather go that way.
:thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Roki wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:08 pm
I thought only PTFE tape could be used near these things???? :oops:

This is what came up when I searched PFC. I appreciate all the suggestions people. Now I'm starting to feel my questions are too silly, getting ready to get flamed. :shifty:
Typo you are right!
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

If you got a welder it seems silly to have him plug a hole. It'll take him less time to weld on a fitting of your choice than it would for him to make and weld on a patch.
Roki
Novice

Post by Roki »

zapata wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:40 pm If you got a welder it seems silly to have him plug a hole. It'll take him less time to weld on a fitting of your choice than it would for him to make and weld on a patch.
Yeah, after spending the last 6 hours reading on soldering/welding and feeling a little bit more confident I think I'll end up taking the hole, plugging it with paste on the meantime, and when I get more comfortable soldering or adapting modifications just make something out of it. I think the thermometer solution will be used to keep track of the most data I can during my first several runs.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:24 pm
Yummyrum wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm Put a cork in it .... the hole in the keg I mean.
LOL!

Your pilot hole has already been drilled for you. You don't have to add larger ferrules if doing so is a stretch. A 2" ferrule would prove beneficial in many ways. BobbyfromNJ has a solution that involves soldering instead of welding. Or, you could go the paste or cork route!
Keg port 2.jpg
I love that big looking glass. All that keg needs is a a couple of 2 inch ferrules on the bottom for a heater element, and a drain. Sometimes I wish I had electric so I could heat water on my workbench and dump straight into my Brute, rather than transfering 5 gallons at a time with a 6 gallon pot. Shure would make mashing easier.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Roki wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:36 am I'm gathering materials to make my first pot still.
Roki wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:50 pm I think the thermometer solution will be used to keep track of the most data I can during my first several runs.
Thermometer gazing will just confuse hell out of you and achieve about Zero learning.
Spend your time with your new pot still getting acquainted with the relationships between more/less heat input and the flow of product leaving the condenser.
At the same time fill a heap of small jars with the resulting product and cover them with cloth/ coffee filters to keep bugs n dust out. While your doing that rub samples hard between your fingers, feel it and smell it......does it squeak and scrunch when you rub......does it feel oily / slippery. At the same time does it smell like nail polish......or wet cardboard/dog.....or is it smelling good? All of these things should keep you busy and teach you much more than staring at a thermometer. Do you want to be able to run a still without a thermometer or would you rather be someone who needs to rely on gadgets to be able to run a still?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

For the time being use a flour DOUGH.
That hole is a bit big for paste.
Flour, some salt to help condition the gluten, some olive oil for ease of handling and work it a fair bit.

Geoff
The Baker
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The Baker wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:50 pm For the time being use a flour DOUGH.
That hole is a bit big for paste.
Flour, some salt to help condition the gluten, some olive oil for ease of handling and work it a fair bit.

Geoff
You can tell you were a baker :ebiggrin:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

80E9A6FA-58E0-493F-B47B-281DD73E7504.jpeg
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
3illmesmart
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 3illmesmart »

If you put in a fitting for a thermometer, take out thermometer and put in a bleed valve for end of run.
Roki
Novice

Post by Roki »

Hey everyone! I bought the keg the other day thanks for all the help :D
Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:24 pm

I watched the video and now I have a quick question on this.

It seems to me the soldering solution though very convenient would only work with welding spuds. With the added inconvenience that I'd have to screw/unscrew a male thread cap when needed.

If I wanted the more convenient and elegant triclamp alternative I would need a ferrule which would only work with welding. Am I correct with my statements?

Or is there a way that I'm not seeing where soldering a ferrule to the keg is a thing?
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

took me a few tries to get this soldered on without leaks, but that was operator error. I soldered on one of these to my keg. Also got a bit to drill the hole here. The radius face solder flange needed a lot of cleaning. Also tossed the silicone gasket for PFTE.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ ... solder.htm
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Roki wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:31 pm Hey everyone! I bought the keg the other day thanks for all the help :D

It seems to me the soldering solution though very convenient would only work with welding spuds. With the added inconvenience that I'd have to screw/unscrew a male thread cap when needed.

If I wanted the more convenient and elegant triclamp alternative I would need a ferrule which would only work with welding. Am I correct with my statements?

Or is there a way that I'm not seeing where soldering a ferrule to the keg is a thing?
soldering is completely viable for connecting tri-clamp fittings to kegs, keep reading

here, and ignore the net.
be water my friend
Roki
Novice

Post by Roki »

FLOB wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:01 pm took me a few tries to get this soldered on without leaks, but that was operator error. I soldered on one of these to my keg. Also got a bit to drill the hole here. The radius face solder flange needed a lot of cleaning. Also tossed the silicone gasket for PFTE.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ ... solder.htm
That's very nice, I can see now how that would work.

For bigger diameters, let's go big and say 4" on top of the keg for example, the soldering would get waaay trickier due to the keg's curvature I'm imagining, would it still be possible?