New Boiler up and running.

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

New Boiler up and running.

Post by Tabucowboy »

All,

My new boiler is up and running. Oh my gosh, the cost difference between propane and electric is drastic. It is costing me $2.40 US to do a spirit run now. As opposed to ~$15 US for when I was using gas.

Why did I not switch over Months ago? And it is so much faster 4-6 hours for a 8 gal spirit run instead of 8-12 hours on gas.

Thank you all for your help on how many ports to have on my keg, and how to build the controller.

Here is my nice pic now.
still2.jpg
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
rockcanyon
Novice

Re: New Boiler up and running.

Post by rockcanyon »

Surprising. My rig is only 5 gallons but so far I've done a corn gelatinizing batch, 3 stripping runs, and 1 spirit run, all off of a 20 pound propane bottle ($13.50 USD). And it's not quite empty yet. (And I'm pretty sure I did my vinegar run and sac run off this same bottle but can't remember for sure). I do put a foil wrap around my boiler but I don't think that can account for all the difference in my expense compared to yours. Just how expensive is gas in your area?
"A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest" - Paul Simon
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I use electric to run on and propane to mash on
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Tabucowboy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:32 am All,

My new boiler is up and running. Oh my gosh, the cost difference between propane and electric is drastic. It is costing me $2.40 US to do a spirit run now. As opposed to ~$15 US for when I was using gas.

Why did I not switch over Months ago? And it is so much faster 4-6 hours for a 8 gal spirit run instead of 8-12 hours on gas.

Thank you all for your help on how many ports to have on my keg, and how to build the controller.

Here is my nice pic now.

still2.jpg
You're using 15 bucks in propane for a spirit run? :crazy:
A single 20 pound tank, will (for me) heat 13 gallons of strike water, strip 20 gallons of beer, and spirit run 5 gallons of low wines in my un insulated 13 gallon boiler. Then it goes in the stack to get refilled, and usually takes just under 4 gallons to fill, so there is still about a half gallon left in the tank.
I have four 20 pound cylinders, and propane is currently 1.98 a gallon locally, but should begin to rise for winter.
I am considering electric though, just for the convenience, but converting is another $200 I'd have to throw at my set up that could buy a lot of grain.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

Rock -- Propane here is $20 for a 20# tank
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Tabucowboy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:58 pm Rock -- Propane here is $20 for a 20# tank
4 bucks a gallon, Id switch too!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Tabucowboy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:58 pm Rock -- Propane here is $20 for a 20# tank
were you getting them filled or trading them out at the big box store?

getting them filled should be less pricy. at $4.00/gal. I'd switch too. :evil:
be water my friend
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Our propane is dearer.

Geoff
The Baker
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

cob wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:33 pm

I only switch em out when the filling station wont fill em any more. Then a swap is cheaper than a new tank. I've only ever bought one tank, all my others are tanks I found abandoned or folks didnt want em because they were expired and the feed store wouldnt refill them.
rockcanyon
Novice

Post by rockcanyon »

cob wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:33 pm

I get them filled, much cheaper. Also, if you get it filled you get a full 20 pounds. However if you trade it out, you typically only get 15 pounds. It's a cheat but I guess they figure nobody reads the fine print on their signs and assumes they're getting a full tank. In this part of the US I've never seen a propane tank exchange that gives a full tank. I'd be curious to know if it's that way other places.
"A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest" - Paul Simon