Pressure Cookers

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

W Pappy
Distiller

Pressure Cookers

Post by W Pappy »

Don't use a pressure cooker for a boiler or thumper the gaskets will leach chemicals into your product.Use a stock pot instead and make a gasket or use flour paste.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Re: Pressure Cookers

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Not only that. But they are quite often made from aluminium. Which will also leech into product.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
hotraux
Novice

Post by hotraux »

Good afternoon,

I have a stainless pressure cooker that I was thinking of using as a boiler. It has a rubber gasket, but I was thinking of wrapping the gasket with Teflon tape. Have you ever heard of that working? Thanks in advance for any response.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

hotraux wrote:Good afternoon,

I have a stainless pressure cooker that I was thinking of using as a boiler. It has a rubber gasket, but I was thinking of wrapping the gasket with Teflon tape. Have you ever heard of that working? Thanks in advance for any response.
Personally, I don't consider wrapping a rubber gasket in PTFE tape as an effective way to avoid possible contamination... I'd use cardboard or hemp twine or rope, depending on the gap that needs to be bridged... You can coat that with flour paste or attempt wrapping with PTFE tape...

I'm still confused at to why so many people think a pressure cooker is any better than a simple and inexpensive stock pot... There shouldn't be any pressure in your boiler anyway... Let's get over the pressure cooker idea already, once and for all...!!! C'mon folks...!!!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:Not only that. But they are quite often made from aluminium. Which will also leech into product.
This shouldn't be a concern.

While pitting of the aluminum from the boiling acidic wash. Is a mechanical concern.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I guess a stainless steel pressure cooker could be easily converted to use as a still, but I think the biggest problem would be size. I don't know that I've heard of one of more than about 5 gallons. Most are quite a bit smaller than that.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Prairiepiss wrote:
Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:Not only that. But they are quite often made from aluminium. Which will also leech into product.

While pitting of the aluminum from the boiling acidic wash. Is a mechanical concern.
I'm confused :-/ or am I not reading your reply right? Why would aluminium leeching into the product not be a concern?? I was under the impression that that is the reason for not using aluminium.

whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

The dissolved aluminium sits in your boiler charge, but ists heavy enough to stay there rather than up the column and into your glass! Same reason we can use fetilizer, epsom salts, and a dozen other things you wouldnt wish to drink into a wash, and run without a second thought.
An alu boiler is fine, but will slowly erode over the years.
My first rig had a ss pot, and alu lid because thats what i had lying around!
After several months of use, I found it to be a pita to seal well cos of the pitting around the edges, and regularly had to tighten the tank connector to the column as the metal got ever so slightly thinner.
Once you have used it for so long, its easy to become a bit blasé, and when your boiler suddenly ruptures in mid run, it may not come as such a welcome surprise!
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I can almost remember something about aluminum and Alzheimer's, but I'm not so sure anymore... :think: :twisted:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

rad14701 wrote:I can almost remember something about aluminum and Alzheimer's, but I'm not so sure anymore... :think: :twisted:
That was a bad rap given to aluminium from a tainted study. That like many other things gets blown out of proportion. To the point that everyone thinks it to be true. Much like moonshine making you go blind. Because all the methanol in it. Just more misinformation the public has never gotten past. And would rather beleave the bad info then take the time to find the correct info.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Tokoroa_Shiner wrote:
Prairiepiss wrote:

I'm confused :-/ or am I not reading your reply right? Why would aluminium leeching into the product not be a concern??
I was under the impression that that is the reason for not using aluminium.
As I just posted. It's not a health safety problem. Although many keep on quoting the misinformation they read somewhere. And don't take the time to find the correct information. It's been posted here many many times. That aluminum breaks down over time. Causing pitting in the aluminum.

This is also exaggerated by the galvenetric reaction from and acid and other materials in the still. That are to far apart on the galvanic scale. As in copper and aluminum. If the two of them are are in contact and a liquid is present. There will be an increase in galvanic corrosion. And the metals don't even need to touch each other. If they are bridged with a liquid. Acidic wash makes the effect happen even faster. This effect will also induce voltage into the dissimilar metals. Just like a battery. How much voltage? Depends on many things. But is what causes some if the galvanic corrosion.

I have a nice thick aluminium steamer downstairs. That is worthless now. It has pits in it to the point that it will not hold a liquid. And I didn't notice it till after I had already filled it and started cooking in it. It was only after that that I noticed it dripping the liquid out onto the gas burner I was using. Good thing I was just cooking up some molasses for a rum wash. I did a thread on it. Where you cam see it. I ended up finding around 4 to 6 holes in it.

Not all aluminium pots are the same. Many different grades of aluminium out there. Some may hold out longer then others. While some won't last long at all. But even the best out there will still have the same reactions as the cheaper ones. It just may take a little longer for it to fail. So when will it fail? Murphy's law says it will fail when you are least expecting it. Or when you really don't want it to. So that would suggest its gona fail when you have it full of 40% ABV. And you happen to go to the restroom. To come back to a flaming pile of melted aluminum.

Making it a mechanical safety hazard. You would consume more aluminum taking an antiacid or drinking a pop or beer from an aluminium can. Then you would drinking a spirit distilled in an aluminium still.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Ok. Thanks for that clarification PP. I now know that I have been giving improper advise and reasons about the use if aluminium in a still. I apologise for this will now be able to state the correct reasons.

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Deterioration is the main concern... I was only joking about the memory thing - I think...!!! I've had cheap aluminum pots pit and corrode to the point of failure so I avoid them regardless of the Alzheimer's issue, which gets more peoples attention than potential failure...
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

The biggest health concern is the leaching of chems from gaskets that are not up to par.That's why I decided to pick on pressure cookers lol hoping a newbie may see this if he or she thought about using one.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

rad14701 wrote:Deterioration is the main concern... I was only joking about the memory thing - I think...!!! I've had cheap aluminum pots pit and corrode to the point of failure so I avoid them regardless of the Alzheimer's issue, which gets more peoples attention than potential failure...
What were we talking about?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Prairiepiss wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Deterioration is the main concern... I was only joking about the memory thing - I think...!!! I've had cheap aluminum pots pit and corrode to the point of failure so I avoid them regardless of the Alzheimer's issue, which gets more peoples attention than potential failure...
What were we talking about?
The fact that more people pay attention to the Alzheimer's issue more often that the deterioration issue... Many would take the stance that they would use the aluminum until failure, which I adamantly disagree with... I've had an aluminum pot fail through everyday kitchen use and surely wouldn't ever consider aluminum anywhere in a still... But, just to stir the pot, there are new studies out that are leaning towards aluminum and Alzheimer's so the jury is still out even after all these years... And as far as studies go, the results depend on how statistics are skewed to suit ones intended outcome... Personally, I don't care because I no longer use aluminum...
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I think aluminum is a bad choice for either cooking or distillation. There's the mechanical failure issue with stilling - and, I'll never be completely convinced that none of it makes it over into the finished product.

As far as cooking goes, I learned my lesson cooking Thanksgiving dinner several years ago. I used an aluminum pan to make sauteed spiced apples. The apples came out grey instead of the expected light brown. The apples and the pan both went into the trash and I have avoided aluminum ever since. I don't need scientific evidence - grey apples just ain't right.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Aluminum gives poisonous ethanol a metallic taste.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

shadylane wrote:Aluminum gives poisonous ethanol a metallic taste.
Come to think of it the old soda in glass bottles did taste better than the plastic bottles or alu cans.
toadfrog
Novice

Post by toadfrog »

Amongst many other things I do I work in health care for veterans . After lengthy study I have come to the conclusion that copper , cast iron , stainless steel and glass are the only materials to use for cooking any thing . The exception in this case is cast iron is not good for likker . Just my 2 cents worth here .
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

shadylane wrote:Aluminum gives poisonous ethanol a metallic taste.
LOL! You hit it out of the park Shady! :clap: Most of the time everyone forgets that the pure clean ethanol we all strive for is a toxin in its own rights.

"Material Safety Data Sheet Ethyl Alcohol 190 Proof MSDS

TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Classified PROVEN for human [Ethyl alcohol 200 Proof]. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Classified Development toxin [PROVEN] [Ethyl alcohol 200 Proof]. Classified Reproductive system/toxin/female, Reproductive system/toxin/male [POSSIBLE] [Ethyl alcohol 200 Proof]. The substance is toxic to blood, the reproductive system, liver, upper respiratory tract, skin, central nervous"

My liver was especially bad this week. It underwent punishment last night and will have a followup session tonight. Let's see if it will learn its lesson......
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Just a science question, can an aluminum pot be copper clad by electrolysis and would it hold up to distilling uses?
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

sltm1 wrote:Just a science question, can an aluminum pot be copper clad by electrolysis and would it hold up to distilling uses?
Yes, and yes. But for the cost of that you may as well just get all copper in the first place.

rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

Not to beat a dead horse here.. but can one safely use the pressure cooker for only the cleaning and rinsing runs to save on setting up the stainless still with flour paste?
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

rumBum2 wrote:Not to beat a dead horse here.. but can one safely use the pressure cooker for only the cleaning and rinsing runs to save on setting up the stainless still with flour paste?
We do not and will not recommend it for the reasons listed above. On HD safety is our number one priority!
Ludwig404
Novice

Post by Ludwig404 »

Can anyone provide a link to some sort of respected authority on the subject of pressure cooker gaskets leaching dangerous chemicals into the distillation process? Assuming one intended to use a stainless steel pressure cooker with a gasket that has been FDA approved for use with acidic thinks like fruits and tomatoes, is there any real authority that says "danger, danger, do not use to make spirits!"?
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

It's not the acid that's the problem for the gasket. It's the hot solvents in contact with the rubber.

Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Well, take the advice from experienced folks out here...DO NOT use any kind of rubber, plastics or the like in your still.,!
Companys who are making pressurecookers or the like, tested their materials for temperature and H2O ..not ethyl alcohol , metanol or any other compound produced by your still.
Take a quick look on Google and compare rubber/plastic materials to solvents (thats what alcohol is).

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =35&t=5090 See number 8..
This is not written to make your life hard...but to make your life longer..so stop asking for links that proves rubber and plastics don't belong in the productline of a still..it has been discussed over and over again and the answer is still NO!
Not writing this to bring you down...i just want to prevent you from any harm that could be done with unsafe materials.
Here are a couple of bad design ideas.. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7128902

Edit :Tokoroa shiner seems to post simuntaniusly.. :ewink:
Ludwig404
Novice

Post by Ludwig404 »

OK, understood, topic closed.
myles
retired

Post by myles »

I am reopening this. Not so much because of the aluminium issue but because of the pressure cooker.

When you can find one a pressure cooker is better than a stock pot for one main reason. The lid is far stronger and more suitable for holding the weight of a packed column. If you are using a packed column. If it is a pot still it is not such an issue.

Many stock pot lids are so flimsy they are fairly useless and need to be replaced or reinforced. Compare the manway on a bigger still to a pressure canner and the closure mechanisms are simmilar.

All of the above is based on 1 simple pre condition. For some reason (storage, distilling on grain?) You need access to the inside of the boiler. If you don't then do yourself a favour.

Save your hard earned cash and invest in a keg or milk can boiler instead.