Galvanized steel?

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

chemistiller
Novice

Galvanized steel?

Post by chemistiller »

I know zinc is a hard metal but don't know much about its reactivity to the alcohols and ketones and everything produced in a run.

I know it would be an awkward inefficient use of all that heavy steel, because you could go much with thinner walls, but fence posts are everywhere people are always replacing them, and some of them are thick enough to look like reflux column to me.

Anyone see a flaw in my logic? do galvanized steel fence posts belong in the What not to Use category?

Most chain-link fence is galvanized (coated with zinc)

Metal fence posts for chain link fence are usually also galvanized steel

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8069654_kind-m ... fence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Re: Galvanized steel?

Post by ga flatwoods »

Sure, even use it on your aluminum pot for essential oils not to be consumed or applied to the human body. CERTAINLY NOT for use on a copper or stainless pot that will be used for medicinal production of alcohol or essential oils.
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Copper or Stainless are the only approved metals.
Check out the new distillers reading lounge before you build or make anything. It will save you from wasting your time and effort by having to do it twice.

Good Luck
Windy City
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
chemistiller
Novice

Post by chemistiller »

Thanks for the opinions, next time hold the attitude please

Ive never seen any other type of steel mentioned anywhere, I know the forum wont support anything but ss and copper, but I was thinking someone might have a specific reason not to use it.

When I started way back I didn't know not to use aluminum, i guess i shouldn't have told anyone I made a mistake once, and I'm sorry my side goal w/ oils seems trivial to you, I guess I shouldn't have discussed that either. I feel very attacked here

why am i letting myself get so upset here its just the internet, i will take the advice on not using them, i probably wasn't going to anyway (look where I put the thread) I was just curious. There are many other materials not to use and why in here, I thought this one would be a useful discussion Sorry (the sorry should be read in a slightly sarcastic tone)
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Don't feel attacked. It's just the tone that gets used here sometimes, like it matters to anyone whether or not something is "approved" by HD.

But I would take away that - based on years of usage & study by forum members - there is a strong consensus that SS and Copper are the only metals recommended for use. I think it's also true that since the consensus is so strong, discussion of "why" this is the case won't really be tolerated. There's plenty of background materials in the forums for anyone curious about the question. Things just don't need to be rehashed daily. It's not personal. There are just a ton of naive repetitive questions that are best handled with the search button (e.g. use of plastics, glass thumpers...)
Last edited by Bob Loblaw on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

If you really need a reason, and don't want to do any independent research, it's because hot alcohol vapor causes zinc to deteriorate and it will taint your spirits, potentially to a toxic level... We have rules for a reason, and part of that reason is to keep people who don't know any better safe... How do I know what I know and you don't...??? Because I make sure I know enough to keep myself, and others, safe... I've even seen a zinc component completely deteriorated to failure on someone elses still... Now you know...

Get used to the attitude and get a thick skin... You'll need it in this hobby... Johnny Law ain't gonna treat you like a prissy schoolgirl if you get caught running a still, no matter what it's made of...

Copper or stainless for good reason... :eugeek:

Posted the same time as Bob Loblaw...
chemistiller
Novice

Post by chemistiller »

rad14701 wrote:If you really need a reason, and don't want to do any independent research, it's because hot alcohol vapor causes zinc to deteriorate and it will taint your spirits, potentially to a toxic level... We have rules for a reason, and part of that reason is to keep people who don't know any better safe... How do I know what I know and you don't...??? Because I make sure I know enough to keep myself, and others, safe... I've even seen a zinc component completely deteriorated to failure on someone elses still... Now you know...

Thank you, I just figured if it seemed like a good idea to me, others might have the same idea. I guess I just should have looked up reactivity of zinc w/ ethanol (independent research, right) and posted that info,

but I just thought if there was known problems it would carry more weight coming from one of you, and if there were not it would warrant more research on my part. I guess I was kind of setting myself up the way I worded the thread, but I figured I'd be guided into understanding, not chastised for my lack there of.

I still think bringing up my prior mistakes as if I was still making them (i.e. aluminum boiler) along w/ the sarcasm was immature. Never the less I feel you summed up this thread real quick and I appreciate it
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

I still think bringing up my prior mistakes as if I was still making them (i.e. aluminum boiler) along w/ the sarcasm was immature.

Referring to me? Who said I was being sarcastic? :lolno:
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Galvinized steel reacts with any trace of copper salts producing copper metal dust, carbon and iron salts.

Stainless possesses a layer of chromium oxide. This is almost inert with very few exceptions.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

rad14701 wrote:If you really need a reason, and don't want to do any independent research, it's because hot alcohol vapor causes zinc to deteriorate and it will taint your spirits, potentially to a toxic level... We have rules for a reason, and part of that reason is to keep people who don't know any better safe... How do I know what I know and you don't...??? Because I make sure I know enough to keep myself, and others, safe... I've even seen a zinc component completely deteriorated to failure on someone elses still... Now you know...

Get used to the attitude and get a thick skin... You'll need it in this hobby... Johnny Law ain't gonna treat you like a prissy schoolgirl if you get caught running a still, no matter what it's made of...

Copper or stainless for good reason... :eugeek:

Posted the same time as Bob Loblaw...
I guess their are a lot of kids that have to put their hands on the burner to figure out if it's hot or not. No matter what mam and pap say! :ewink:
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
ManicPenguin
Novice

Post by ManicPenguin »

chemistiller wrote:I know zinc is a hard metal but don't know much about its reactivity to the alcohols and ketones and everything produced in a run.

I know it would be an awkward inefficient use of all that heavy steel, because you could go much with thinner walls, but fence posts are everywhere people are always replacing them, and some of them are thick enough to look like reflux column to me.

Anyone see a flaw in my logic? do galvanized steel fence posts belong in the What not to Use category?
sorry, I just had to post something.

Zinc is NOT a hard metal. Also, Zinc is generally VERY reactive, particularly to salt, acids, AND bases. It even will oxidize in pure water (PH 7.0).

Zinc is used as a lead substitute in bullets due to its density and softness. It is a heavy metal, not as toxic as lead (not even close) but it is still a toxic metal. Zinc toxicity is well below the tasting point with chronic (ongoing) exposure. Also, like lead, Zinc can accumulate in the body.

Now, here is why people think Zinc is hard, non-corroding, and safe:

#1: People think Zinc is a hard metal because they usually only encounter it when it is plating something....which is usually harder than the zinc. Imagine coating a steel pipe with a .3mm layer of plastic, it would feel hard like steel, but it is just a soft substance that is so thin that it feels hard due to the substrate.

#2: Zinc corrodes, but like aluminum it is a self-protecting corrosion. A layer of oxidation forms over the zinc and as long as that layer of oxidation remains intact, the underlying metal is preserved. In a still you will run the risk of leaching the metal every time you stir a galvanized pot, or adjust a pipe fitting, or when the flow of alc is sufficient to erode the oxide.

#3: Zinc is not even safe for cold water pipes. Steel water pipe is only galvanized on the outside, another coating is put on the inside of the pipe. As a soft, heavy-metal it can be stupid toxic.

Please please please do not use the Zinc pipes. treat Zinc like it is lead.
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

Even using galvinized steel in smokers is a no no, I would stay away.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

AW, NAH MAN...I've eatin jerk chicken cook under a piece of galvin roofin! All O.k....
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
dakotasnake
Rumrunner

Post by dakotasnake »

iv seen galvinized steel detereate with apple cider viniger in no time, theres no way in hell id want it in contact with my likker. while some zinc is good for the body, studies have shone that to much can cause mental illness, sickness or even death.
today marks the dawn of a new error.
Arash
Novice

Post by Arash »

is there any kind of information about health concerns of using galvanized boilers for distilling rubbing alcohol? does anybody know if it's safe to cook the wash in a galvanized pot to distill high purity alcohol to be used just as hand sanitizer?
People are in shortage of sanitizers here in Iran and situation is worse than any other countries but the government keeps the casualties toll under wraps.
any help is much appreciated