Pico distiller

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pico distiller

Postby Opdog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:58 pm

This came up in my google news feed today. http://coolmaterial.com/food-drink/pico ... distiller/
With a 5 liter capacity, I can’t believe that you could get a decent product out of this t. The several reviews I just read from CES 2018 seem to indicate that it works and the product isn’t terrible, but how do you make cuts on 500ml of product?

Is anyone at CES that can give us the lowdown on this thing? It appears to have a lot of plastic parts, but the bits that are in contact with the higher concentrations of alcohol look to be copper and glass, but that is only based on what I suspect surmised from the stock photos I found.

Edit:
Here is the manufacturers site: https://www.picobrew.com/Store/products ... ill.cshtml
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pico distiller

Postby RedwoodHillBilly » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 pm

From the website:
"The patent-pending design substantially reduces the dangers inherent in distilling spirits by automatically separating the methanol from the heads."

If you believe this, I've got a bridge (Brooklyn) for sale that will make you a millionaire overnight. :P
John Barleycorn must die.
"and little Sir John in the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last.
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox, nor so loudly to blow his horn
and the tinker he can't mend kettle nor pots without a little barleycorn."
RedwoodHillBilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Shine0n » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 pm

I could see this being good for hops oils or for other essential oils but under no circumstances being used to distill likker.

I don't know how to extract oils but if you're not using high proof to do it I see nothing wrong with it.

For 250 though I could build 2 more of my setups 15.5×15.5
Shine0n
Master Distiller

Postby cede » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:05 pm

We talked about this piece of crap a few days back: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69297

Patent deposit does not implies that the apparatus works in anyway. It's just to protect an idea.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby ExpatLad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 am

"I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.I aim with my eye." - Roland of Gilead
Swill Maker

Postby raketemensch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 am

Obviously these tiny things are horrible for cuts, but I have to admit it'd be awesome to have something on my desk that I could use to make gins from already-cut neutrals while I work...
raketemensch
Master Distiller

Return to What Not To Use/Do