Escaped boil

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gwizard
Novice

Escaped boil

Post by gwizard »

So decided to do a batch of DWG yesterday.

Preheated water to boil, stirred in sugar and wheat germ, set timer for 90m and walked away. There was 16L in the boiler (35L capacity).
After an hour I come back and see an awful mess all around with pieces of wheat germ and sticky caramel all around. I have no idea why this little quantity managed to escape, and I did spent an hour pondering that while trying to scrub off caramelized sugar off everything.

Lesson learned, don't leave it alone and set temp for 97 instead of rolling boil.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Escaped boil

Post by Deplorable »

You learned a valuable lesson. One I learned years ago making beer from LME. That protein break will sneek up on ya when you turn your back on the boiler.
Stick mess is right.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
gwizard
Novice

Post by gwizard »

In this hobby, every time you do something there is a valuable lesson to be learned :D
For example, I have no idea what you mean by protein break and how that affects boil, but now that you told me, I will go and google it and learn something new, so thank you for that.

Btw, that particular batch is just refusing to go quietly. Not only I've lost 12 gravity points on that escaped sugar, but it actually puked into the airlock after a night of silence. Never had that reaction before and its not the first time I do this recipe. Had to put a tube in water type of airlock and now its happily bubbling away. I wonder why its so foamy all of a sudden...
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

gwizard wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:53 pm I wonder why its so foamy all of a sudden...
How are you controlling the ferment temperature ?

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
gwizard
Novice

Post by gwizard »

Inkbird temp controller + heating belt.
I've modded all my fermenters with a termowell.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

gwizard wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:53 pm In this hobby, every time you do something there is a valuable lesson to be learned :D
For example, I have no idea what you mean by protein break and how that affects boil, but now that you told me, I will go and google it and learn something new, so thank you for that.

Btw, that particular batch is just refusing to go quietly. Not only I've lost 12 gravity points on that escaped sugar, but it actually puked into the airlock after a night of silence. Never had that reaction before and its not the first time I do this recipe. Had to put a tube in water type of airlock and now its happily bubbling away. I wonder why its so foamy all of a sudden...
Yeah, DWWG needs a fair bit of headroom in my experience as well. One thing, if you have a slow cooker, there is a post in the original thread (I think) that said slow-cooking the wheat germ overnight was equally effective with no mess and no stirring.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.