Push fit connectors

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cranky
Master of Distillation

Push fit connectors

Post by cranky »

Every now and then I see novices using or wanting information about using push fit connectors. Like this.
SHARKBITE.JPG
SHARKBITE.JPG (13.73 KiB) Viewed 6464 times
At Home Depot they are called SharkBite, at other places they are called something else. These connectors contain synthetics that cannot be used with alcohol and even come with a warning that they contain materials known by the state of California to cause cancer. So don't use these.
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Re: Push fit connectors

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Good info. I think a lot of the questions I've seen are about use of push-fit connectors for cooling. They're fine for that use.
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That's true they are safe for water cooling lines but every now and then someone tries to or asks about using these fittings in a distillate line so I thought this would be a good item for what not to use.
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

I love em. Yes, I use them for my cooling lines, transfer lines ect. Never had a leak even after my wife ran one over. My fault, I know every time I put some in her stall it's gonna get run over. I hang a tennis ball from the ceiling so she knows not to go any farther or she be driving through my office.
I'm goin the distance...
SEMO
Novice

Post by SEMO »

Everything in California is known to cause cancer especially the laws of the state of California! That not withstanding, it would appear that these devices would not withstand the alcohol exposure. They are made for use in high temp environments but like many plastics or synthetics they don't seem to be made of alcohol!
The Grand Pooh-Bah
Novice

Post by The Grand Pooh-Bah »

Sharkbite fittings were listed in California as unsafe because they were made of brass. Brass plumbing fittings had a small amount of lead. The formulation of the brass has since been changed and the lead has been removed.

With sharkbite fittings, none of the plastic comes in contact with the liquid, if you remove the center plastic stiffener, that is there for PEX piping installations. It is not needed with copper installations.

There is a high temperature o-ring in the middle of the connection that seals the pipe. They are used in domestic hot & cold water as well as hot water heating systems with temperatures as high as 180 F on a regular basis without any failure.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

It's not the temperature ,it's the synthetic o-ring coming in contact with high proof alcohol.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

The Grand Pooh-Bah wrote: There is a high temperature o-ring in the middle of the connection that seals the pipe. They are used in domestic hot & cold water as well as hot water heating systems with temperatures as high as 180 F on a regular basis without any failure.
This is why I put them under what not to use. Synthetics that are not intended for high temperature alcohol which are in contact with the vapor, not to mention still vapor often reaches temperatures in excess of 180F towards the end of a run.
trlabby
Novice

Post by trlabby »

So I read the mixed reviews here on the push connectors. What else would someone recommend using other than these bass ones I could not find all-copper connectors at lowes.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

trlabby wrote:So I read the mixed reviews here on the push connectors. What else would someone recommend using other than these bass ones I could not find all-copper connectors at lowes.
Push connectors as in hose barbs, garden hose quick disconnects, or pex style connectors...??? And are you referring to coolant line fittings or for connecting still components having vapor contact...???
trlabby
Novice

Post by trlabby »

:evil: The picture this tread is about isn't for garden hose connections it's for 3/8" copper tubing running between the arm to the doubler and the doubler to the worm. So yes it must be able to withstand temperature and alcohol vapor
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Push fit connectors

Post by UnSub »

Who uses these? I wanted to buy them to use a quick disconnects for cooling lines (because the market is sparse for 3/8"xBarb disconnect fittings.. Does anyone have personal experience with these or other quick disconnect fittings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

trlabby wrote::evil: The picture this tread is about isn't for garden hose connections it's for 3/8" copper tubing running between the arm to the doubler and the doubler to the worm. So yes it must be able to withstand temperature and alcohol vapor
Just get a union.
UnSub wrote:Who uses these? I wanted to buy them to use a quick disconnects for cooling lines (because the market is sparse for 3/8"xBarb disconnect fittings.. Does anyone have personal experience with these or other quick disconnect fittings?
I use them and they work great for the cooling lines
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by UnSub »

But do you use them as disconnects (repeatedly) or use as a one time coupling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I havent had one fail yet, and I disconnect the irrigation after every run.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I use these with 3/8 pex. Ya just push to connect, then retract the little blue button to disconnect.
They sell them on Amazon or SD
Attachments
Push connect
Push connect
41U1UzDxL7L.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
UnSub
Site Donor
Site Donor

Push fit connectors

Post by UnSub »

Perfect! Thanks

Just found them