Everlasting gasket using original?

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

spiff
Swill Maker

Everlasting gasket using original?

Post by spiff »

I'm still waiting to get a piece back on my stlll but when I do I'm going to start running it right away, getting cleaning runs out the way, ect. Its a Mile Hi unit that has these silicon gaskets. I see these are frowned upon... how bad are they? Will I taste something in my results?

I'll be stocking up on PTFE tape and can make my own gaskets if I have to, but has anyone just tried wrapping these silicon ones? Any pros or cons to this? I"m guessing the tape won't wrap so nicely around something so rubbery but should still be possible if doing a taut wrap.
thecroweater
retired

Re: Everlasting gasket using original?

Post by thecroweater »

yes plenty of ppl wrap these gaskets no issue :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

Sweet! Thanks!
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Used to make my own everlasting gaskets.. then I found Glacier Tanks. They have PTFE from 3/4' up to 12" and not too expensive. The price was worth the hassle of the wrap (I did a lot wraps.... A LOT).

http://www.glaciertanks.com/TriClamp_Ga ... skets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Just my opinion,,,YMMV.
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

Thanks... yeah.. i just found these on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Teflon-Gasket-San ... sket+sheet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Kinda expensive at 3.5 bucks a pop but look like they'd last forever. I am seeing people question the viability of the PTFE pipe wrap.. that it might be too thin allow some leaching to occur. Screw it.. buying a set.. I can be the guinea pig here I suppose.
rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

I used these guys for all my gaskets http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 53722.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and most of my SS parts for my flute. I agree about the wrapping of silicone not worth it and by the time i would have wrapped it enough for my liking it would have payed for a ptfe gasket.
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Crap would be 2 or 3 cents worth per gasket other options are great if they are soft enough to compress and seal . If not well you have created one danger to avoid what? Some possible leaching yet some dude posts using cardboard or whatever and its a non issue. I don't care enough to argue about it but let's keep it factual hey :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

rumBum2 wrote:I used these guys for all my gaskets http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 53722.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and most of my SS parts for my flute. I agree about the wrapping of silicone not worth it and by the time i would have wrapped it enough for my liking it would have payed for a ptfe gasket.
Says they are not a secure location for using credit card! Do you trust them?
BamaBoyinAZ
Novice

Post by BamaBoyinAZ »

You can order these from mcmaster Carr as well. They are a couple dollars a piece. I got 6 a while back. A little more expensive than Ali, but they are a much more reputable source. Search for sanitary fittings on their main site search and you should find them no problem.