PFA Packing in SS Valve

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

407driver
Novice

PFA Packing in SS Valve

Post by 407driver »

Hi,
I have been doing LOTS of reading both before and after registering on this site and I think I have a question that I cannot find any previous post or reference to.

A bit of background might be helpful. As I said in my first post I have a LM Column still over a keg boiler. It is all SS and copper EXCEPT two mini-1/4" needle valves and a couple of tubing couplings. The needle valves have a SS stem but a brass body. The couplings are all brass.

Quite frankly since I pickled the parts I don't think they are large enough to pose much of a lead issue but to err on the side of caution I have decided to replace them with SS parts. To that end I have been searching for the valves and couplings. The couplings are no problem. The valves I have found (HIGH Quality Swagelok Whitey Angle Valve SS-1VF4-A 1/4" ) have packing made of PFA.

Here is the question, will the tiny amount of PFA in the packing pose a problem?

Thanks Fellas!

407driver
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: PFA Packing in SS Valve

Post by der wo »

PFA is similar to PTFE. You don't have to replace it. But you should disassemble the valves as complete as possible and clean it from grease.
What material is the packing of your brass valves? Brass valves often have bad packing material, ss ones normally PTFE (or PFA).
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg