what to use to store low wines after stripping run

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Samogonka
Novice

what to use to store low wines after stripping run

Post by Samogonka »

Hi guys, I have a 25 liter mash ready to be stripped, today I bought a 3 gallon gla carboy, would that be enough to hold the stripping I collect, what do you use for storing stripping run low wine and also I got a rubber stopper for the carboy to plug at neck, is that safe to use? Or not what to use, reason I would be saying the low wine is I have another mash going 25 l which won't be ready to strip for the week or so.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: what to use to store low wines after stripping run

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

If you get more than 3 gallons from 6 gallons, then I need to come hang out with you.

A good average is 20% collection from your strip. So, from 25 liters, a little over a gallon.

Probably be about perfect to run 3 strips for a spirit, though 2 is good.

This ain't a night with the baby sitter. Get rid of that rubber. Lamb skin might be approved, though.

Just throw a towel over the opening.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Put the stopper in the carboy. It is not touching it so it will be fine.
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Samogonka wrote:Hi guys, I have a 25 liter mash ready to be stripped, today I bought a 3 gallon gla carboy, would that be enough to hold the stripping I collect, what do you use for storing stripping run low wine and also I got a rubber stopper for the carboy to plug at neck, is that safe to use? Or not what to use, reason I would be saying the low wine is I have another mash going 25 l which won't be ready to strip for the week or so.

We use SS Fuji cans from Italy. Glass breaks, these cans do not break.
Don't use them for anything else, just hooch.

B
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Samogonka wrote:Hi guys, I have a 25 liter mash ready to be stripped, today I bought a 3 gallon gla carboy, would that be enough to hold the stripping I collect, what do you use for storing stripping run low wine and also I got a rubber stopper for the carboy to plug at neck, is that safe to use? Or not what to use, reason I would be saying the low wine is I have another mash going 25 l which won't be ready to strip for the week or so.

Carboy? use a condum.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

BoomTown wrote:

Carboy? use a condum.
Unlubricated
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
BoomTown wrote:

Carboy? use a condum.
Unlubricated
+++
Samogonka
Novice

Post by Samogonka »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:If you get more than 3 gallons from 6 gallons, then I need to come hang out with you.

A good average is 20% collection from your strip. So, from 25 liters, a little over a gallon.

Probably be about perfect to run 3 strips for a spirit, though 2 is good.

This ain't a night with the baby sitter. Get rid of that rubber. Lamb skin might be approved, though.

Just throw a towel over the opening.
What % alcohol do you guys collect, as in abv for stripping runs? Do I just water it down after?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I collect till the collected volume measures 25-30%. This enables me , with my cuts, to get a keep cut of 62-68%.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

We cut by value and taste. Fiends = any thing above 170p from our pot still. Heads trend down to 165 -160 depending on taste. Hearts last till 100, regardless. Tails are below that, detected by taste...

you'll find your own sweet spots...
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:
BoomTown wrote:

Carboy? use a condum.
Unlubricated
New, unused... :shifty:
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

ga flatwoods wrote:Put the stopper in the carboy. It is not touching it so it will be fine.
Be careful with that, I had an earthquake and lost 5 gallons of really nice booze in a glass carboy.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Samogonka
Novice

Post by Samogonka »

rubber duck wrote:
ga flatwoods wrote:Put the stopper in the carboy. It is not touching it so it will be fine.
Be careful with that, I had an earthquake and lost 5 gallons of really nice booze in a glass carboy.
When what do you use for storage?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I use a couple cases of quart mason jars, will keep several gallons.
I also use a 5 gal glass carboy in a milk crate. 4" square piece of alum foil makes a nice cap, keeps the bugs out, and is reusable.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

if i had a small keg I'd use that, I don't so I strip in to gallon jugs that sit with a cork in em until i do a run
Don't be a dick
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

50 l ferment of DWWG I use a 3 gal carboy to collect 3 strips on my 5 gal pot and end up with about 9 l ( little over 2 gal) of 35-40 % abv low wines. I run my strips a little slow but thats me.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
Wooday
Swill Maker

Post by Wooday »

Currently I strip into a 3 gallon glass carboy with wax paper over the top. It's protected by a milk crate.

I can get 5.15 gallon sanke kegs for the same price as a glass carboy so that will be my next upgrade when the 15 gallon boiler starts running.
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

I started saving 2 litre pop bottles. I've found that they come in quite handy for all sorts of things. They bounce when they fall too.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

Slinky Pickle wrote:I started saving 2 litre pop bottles. I've found that they come in quite handy for all sorts of things. They bounce when they fall too.
BoomTown wrote:Carboy? use a condum.
plastic jugs, rubber stoppers and condoms. WTF happened to rule #8
be water my friend
Slinky Pickle
Novice

Post by Slinky Pickle »

cob wrote: WTF happened to rule #8
I agree whole heartedly with rule #8 but I will let science and testing tell me whether I can safely store full strength ethanol at room temperature in HDPE bottles. In order to keep the peace though, I will not speak of it again. :shh:
Last edited by Slinky Pickle on Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frodo
Distiller
Location: hiding behind a pine tree. bout 100 miles east of new orleans

Post by frodo »

I use 4x4 gause folded over the top held on with white medical tape of a gallon glass jug
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I use a spare keg... that way when I get ready to run it all I have to do is put the stillhead on it and go.
Jb-tex
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

I use a SS keg. 15 gallons.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I make ferments up to 15 liter a time, have a boiler of 10 ltr, so that is 2 or 3 stripping runs, depending on the pukeness.
I usually strip till about 5 %ABV and then I get about 1/3 of the volume of the wash.
I collect this in glas bottles, in 5 ltr if I have one available or in smaller bottles if I need to. With labels, of course, stating date, kind and %.
I try not to use rubber or plastic stoppers, as these dissolve a tiny bit in the vapour, even if they do not touch the fluid. An upside down drinking glass or something will do.

Until now I did not make cuts, but I think I might throw away the head of the stripping runs in the future.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

I just use mason jars. They're cheap and easy to wash. For my final product I use quart bottles from hobby lobby with corks. I sometimes etch my personal made-up distillery logo into the glass.
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

BoomTown wrote:

Carboy? use a condum.

Always use a condom on turbos.... It won't "blow out" :clap:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Slinky Pickle wrote:
cob wrote: WTF happened to rule #8
I agree whole heartedly with rule #8 but I will let science and testing tell me whether I can safely store full strength ethanol at room temperature in HDPE bottles. In order to keep the peace though, I will not speak of it again. :shh:
Lol, soda pobottles are not hdpe! Try PET... look up pet alcohol resistance.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
DjRick
Novice

Post by DjRick »

Hi all! I am into my 2nd run, ever. My first was honey mead, distilled, and currently aging (dis not turn out bad).
Currently, I did three 5gal rum washes, stripped them all, storing in 1/2gal glass milk jugs with cheese cloth and a rubber band to hold the cloth. I have a 5gal copper still, with a thumper. I am educating myself as I'm running my still (hands on, with something to read as I go seems to be my method of learning, right, wrong, or otherwise).
My question: (being a little efficient) I thought I would use my backset that was still 180F in my boiler to dilute the 140p rum for my spirit run (thinking that it would help keep flavor, saved time rehearing since I just completed my stripping run). I have a good drip coming out, my boiler is at 200F, head 198F, and thumper is 184F, and my variable heater controller is only at 2 (0 to 10), and my flow is 200ml/30mins.
My plan is to operate this spirit run and collect my 400ml jars until it is complete, then after letting them air out for a day, start logging what my senses are telling me. Could you all please advise me on how I am doing? Thanks a bunch!