JB weld steel stick

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ky boy
Novice

JB weld steel stick

Post by ky boy »

NEED HELP! Hey just wondering if anybody has ever used the jb weld steel stick. Having trouble sealing compression fitting to my stock pot lid. Dont want to have to keep putting flour paste and replying when doing multiple runs. They say its safe to use on engine manifolds and exhaust pipes.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: JB weld steel stick

Post by Swedish Pride »

keep going with the flour paste mate, JB weld isn't safe to use.

How is the compression fitting connected to the lid, is it like a bulkhedfitting?
Would a few (or loads) of wraps of PTFE tape sort the issue?
Don't be a dick
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

ky boy wrote:NEED HELP! Hey just wondering if anybody has ever used the jb weld steel stick. Having trouble sealing compression fitting to my stock pot lid. Dont want to have to keep putting flour paste and replying when doing multiple runs. They say its safe to use on engine manifolds and exhaust pipes.
Would you run your whiskey though an engine manifold or exhaust pipe? :shock:
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
ky boy
Novice

Post by ky boy »

Yea it is threaded and for the most part will tighten up just not enough for vapor not escape. Wasn't sure if it was ok to use the ptfe I have it just hadnt used it yet. Thanks
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

go for it, its used by most here in some aspect or an other
Don't be a dick
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Start readn ....Read hard, real hard.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

ky boy wrote:NEED HELP! Hey just wondering if anybody has ever used the jb weld steel stick. Having trouble sealing compression fitting to my stock pot lid. Dont want to have to keep putting flour paste and replying when doing multiple runs. They say its safe to use on engine manifolds and exhaust pipes.
I'm pretty sure you have this solved by now, but just in case, my guess is your compression coupling is screwed to a fitting in the lid. The most common reason this happens is the copper tubing must go to the bottom of the fitting. If you set the coupling by screwing it down tight on a regular union the tubing is not sticking through far enough.

The jb weld you may have seen on pot stills to have gotten this idea was most likely around the handles as the rivet holes often leak on a stockpot still. Keep in mind that JB weld is on the OUTSIDE of the still, by sealing the actual connection for the worm to the lid there would be the chance the JB weld could get in the stream. This could slowly poision you.

If you use a step up bit, you can screw the fitting in so tight it doesn't leak, no welding needed. The fix on the coupling is easier than jb weld, simply cut it off and reset the tubing through a new compression coupling to the proper depth.

The stockpot that was handed down to me had a brass fitting where the worm connects if yours does change that to stainless. Use stainless compression fittings 3/8

I have a ten gallon pot that I hope to get started on soon. If your fitting is leaking where it comes out of the stockpot lid you will need to braze it with the orange rod. If you have a tig welder even better.

A thread for proper stockpot builds needs to be made if it's not already, I say this as damn near everyone I've seen through the years has those vcheap brass compression fittings that contain lead, use stainless it's not much more money or at least use the lead free brass compression fittings. I don't even trust those, use stainless.

I never fooled with the stockpot till recently as I help my cousin with a larger copper still. On my first run on the passed down 5 gallon stockpot I detected a metallic taste in the final product which I immediately recognized as brass.
" Once you taste brass, you never forget it." I changed all the fittings to stainless for less than 20 bucks tossed that damn 5 gallon bucket worm and built a larger worm out of a blue food grade barrel.

This 5 gallon stockpot will worry the hell outta you. Not enough room for good cuts, a 25 gallon copper still is a pleasure to run. But hey sitting inside is bringing out the experimenter in me, I've tried throwing everything in a mash latley.Lol! Grandma is still looking for her oatmeal!!!
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."