Help- No alcohol in my corn wash

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help- No alcohol in my corn wash

Post by Kegg_jam »

stevefzr wrote:If the still did manage to explode, then no one would probably even know.
Shit happens. Somebody would know.

okie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by okie »

The go big or go home guy. Wow. I would love a 200L barrel of single malt too. Hell, I might like 2 of them.

I think we have an engineer here that has a strong self image and confidence in his balls. I am glad he's not my neighbor. :clap:

I shiver every time my slip neighbor starts his gasoline powered boat up without running his bilge blowers.

Stevefzr, don't be so cavalier about your system. Listen to everyone here because they have your best interest in hand.
Never try to argue or reason with idiots and morons, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

EDIT: (IBTL) deleted my (3rd) off topic derailment attempt.

JB's right. :thumbdown:
Last edited by HDNB on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Why are we even discussing this. How the hell is this not locked yet? There's been like 5 rules violations,the worst of which is the unattended still.
Dude dont think it's a problem, cool. It's on him.

Please delete your browser history so the world don't know that a member of this site blew their still and stillin area up.
We wouldn't want the world thinking we condone irresponsible distillation of ping pong plonk.

Jb-tex
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

stevefzr wrote:
Tater wrote:This post is just a repeat post of op from another forum. Where he got pretty much the same response.Stop feeding the troll
I don't recall posting this in another forum. Which one?

I did taste it and it was sour, but I don't know what it would taste like if the enzymes had never converted the starch. I guess I'll do a small batch and measure the ph and SG before I mash it. I'll taste it as well. That'll tell me if I've had any enzyme reaction. There were a few little bubbles, but nothing like the rum which had a big head form in the fermenter which left a ring up the top. No evidence of a ring with the corn wash. To be honest, I didn't think I'd get a sensible SG with all the grain still in fermenter. Now I think about it, the addition of solids shouldn't make any difference. A boat won't higher or lower because of the amount of solids in a lake. Only the soluble components will make a difference.

I'm a bit confused why some people seem upset that that I went straight to distilling 400l of champagne for cognac and moved on to 800l of sugar and molasses wash to do rum. Why do you care? Even if it had failed, what's the problem? Maybe it's because I don't see distilling as a hobby? For me it's a means to a large supply of spirits. Once I have what I need, I'll stop distilling. My objective is to get a worthwhile product as economically (time and money) as possible, not to spend years refining my craft. I expect the majority of you fall into the latter category, but surely I'm not the only one of the former?
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewt ... =30&t=8784 troll is now banned
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

This whole concept makes no sense. If you take a 250 ml sample and distill off 125 ml of it, just measure the alcohol content of the 125 ml to see what you started with.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I have been watching this thread all along, I figured it was InglisHill again maybe through a proxy server. It's kind of funny when you read through, he was slowly checking all the boxes just to see how worked up people get. The new method of checking abv was kind of interesting but really why would someone who had a hydrometer not just check starting gravity and ending gravity and do the math rather than do that goofy time consuming method. The fact is if you don't know the starting gravity all you really need to know is the ending gravity and you get what you get.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

DeepSouth wrote:This whole concept makes no sense. If you take a 250 ml sample and distill off 125 ml of it, just measure the alcohol content of the 125 ml to see what you started with.
I think if you have just water and alcohol in the solutions then it works. But as soon as you have sugar or unfermentables in the wash then it doesn't work anymore.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I can't fault his volumes. If I'd got my arse into gear and fermented a drum of molasses when I first built my still, I'd be drinking 30 year old rum instead of 3 year old. I did think about it, barrels were cheap and easy to get at the time, and having a preheater made stripping quick and energy efficient. Now that the cheap stock food molasses available in NZ is stinky bagasse flavored crap, I'm kicking myself for not doing it.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

What stevefzr doesn't get about this whole topic is that once he has gone big and stopped distilling, or so he says, he has already tossed a red flag that potentially effects the rest of us once he is gone... This topic can go bye bye anytime as far as I'm concerned...

"I want to ferment and distill beyond what the forums consider in accordance with the rules and don't care if I raise suspicions for everyone else! Whatever! Whatever! I'll do what I want!" :problem:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Funny thing is that this post was locked at one point for about 5 hrs....

Deo Vendice

Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Just doing a little fishing myself. :mrgreen:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

:thumbup:
May they choke on your worm.

Deo Vendice

Stinkehinke
Novice

Post by Stinkehinke »

Lyres bar. Gotta love numb nuts.one of my favs
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Numb nuts here.

Is this where I point out that I called troll on page 1, and bailed out on page 2? While the dime droppers and name callers were trying to suck up to the troll and defend this bullshit?

Numb nuts out.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

My nuts went numb once... herniated disc. Surgery fixed it. For you though,i suggest a warmer climate. :lol: lol

Deo Vendice

Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

skow69 wrote:Numb nuts here.

Is this where I point out that I called troll on page 1, and bailed out on page 2? While the dime droppers and name callers were trying to suck up to the troll and defend this bullshit?

Numb nuts out.
I once had a vasectomy. A completely different numbness. How it goes.
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

My nuts were so numb...

(How numb were they?)

They were so numb I got kicked in the crotch and didn't even know until my pecker slapped against my shoulder.

Bada bing.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

skow69 wrote:My nuts were so numb...

(How numb were they?)

They were so numb I got kicked in the crotch and didn't even know until my pecker slapped against my shoulder.

Bada bing.
Skow, I don't know you well enough to give you a hard time. But, how did you get your shoulder down to your femoral? That had to hurt. :D
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Hank Reardon wrote:
skow69 wrote:My nuts were so numb...

(How numb were they?)

Bada bing.
Skow, I don't know you well enough to give you a hard time. But, how did you get your shoulder down to your femoral? That had to hurt. :D
Ask Marilyn Manson...

Deo Vendice

apdb
Swill Maker
Location: big ole'island on the West Coast Canada, soon to be underwater when the big one hits

Post by apdb »

remove a couple ribs... for the sake of art :wtf:
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

apdb wrote:remove a couple ribs... for the sake of art :wtf:
This Art dude must be one charming bastard...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I wonder if he falls off the couch like my dog does...

Deo Vendice

goudekim
Novice

Post by goudekim »

The problem with boiling the sample and noting how much water is added back is that both alcohol and water are lost. And no matter how much you boil off there is still some alcohol left. So you never know exactly how much ethanol there was. Check your chemistry about vapor pressure.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

goudekim wrote:The problem with boiling the sample and noting how much water is added back is that both alcohol and water are lost. And no matter how much you boil off there is still some alcohol left. So you never know exactly how much ethanol there was. Check your chemistry about vapor pressure.
If your sample is a wash (not more than 15% alcohol), after distilling off 50% of the sample, there will be almost no alcohol. Even if you only distill 35% off almost all the alcohol ist distilled over. This is the most accurate way to control the abv of a wash, except lab analysis of course. "Almost all" means, that the difference between all and almost all will not be visible on a alcoholmeter.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

The OP lost me at "ping pong balls".

tp
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

der wo wrote:
goudekim wrote:The problem with boiling the sample and noting how much water is added back is that both alcohol and water are lost. And no matter how much you boil off there is still some alcohol left. So you never know exactly how much ethanol there was. Check your chemistry about vapor pressure.
If your sample is a wash (not more than 15% alcohol), after distilling off 50% of the sample, there will be almost no alcohol. Even if you only distill 35% off almost all the alcohol ist distilled over. This is the most accurate way to control the abv of a wash, except lab analysis of course. "Almost all" means, that the difference between all and almost all will not be visible on a alcoholmeter.
OMG! My wash finished at 1.000. Boiled off, added back. Checked sg. Guess what it was.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Sooner or later people will realise this was a troll post and let it die a peacful death.

Deo Vendice

der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

jb-texshine wrote:Sooner or later people will realise this was a troll post and let it die a peacful death.
I didn't answer to the OP, I answered to goudekim.
skow69 wrote:OMG! My wash finished at 1.000. Boiled off, added back. Checked sg. Guess what it was.
Depends on the starting gravity. FG 1.000 means, that there is not everything fermented. Perhaps after boiling out all the alcohol and filling it up again with water it has 1.010?
Anyway, I wrote about measuring the distillate with an alcoholmeter, not the backset with a hydrometer, after distilling 50% of the volume. Probably I did not answer exactly to what goudekim wrote.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg