Up date new design to my 3 gallon pot still

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mississippidistiller
Novice

Up date new design to my 3 gallon pot still

Post by Mississippidistiller »

This is an update to my 3 gallon still I added 2 thump kegs that are a half gallon each. The first line is for purifying the alcohol and the second is for infusing flavor.
Attachments
rps20160906_105135.jpg
rad14701
retired

Re: Up date new design to my 3 gallon pot still

Post by rad14701 »

Mississippidistiller, we don't consider canning jars to be safe or effective thumpers... Not to mention that they are overfilled, mainly because they are too small... You can, and should, do better... Your thumper should be at least 25% the volume of your boiler, minimum, with 30% - 50% better yet... And your flake stand (worm in a bucket) is also too small to be effective throughout a run... If you are interested in the hobby you might as well do things right... Maybe slowing down and doing some more research would be of help to you... In addition, if that hot plate hasn't been modified it probably cycles, causing inconsistent heat input... No need making multiple mistakes that could have been avoided had you done ample research... We want you to be safe and successful and you're not headed down that road right now as I see it...
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I do not know what we consider, but I am curious: did it work?
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

Kareltje wrote:I do not know what we consider, but I am curious: did it work?
We consider that mixing Nitric acid with Glycerin could be dangerous. We hope that folks here are not dumb enough to try it just to see if it works.

+1 Rad
Mississippidistiller
Novice

Yes it works if u heat glass up slowly there is little to no risk of breaking and I made the lids outta copper so that rat guy need to get off my ass. And they did get full because I had my flame to high and turned my back for a second and the still puked.
Mississippidistiller
Novice

rad14701 wrote:Mississippidistiller, we don't consider canning jars to be safe or effective thumpers... Not to mention that they are overfilled, mainly because they are too small... You can, and should, do better... Your thumper should be at least 25% the volume of your boiler, minimum, with 30% - 50% better yet... And your flake stand (worm in a bucket) is also too small to be effective throughout a run... If you are interested in the hobby you might as well do things right... Maybe slowing down and doing some more research would be of help to you... In addition, if that hot plate hasn't been modified it probably cycles, causing inconsistent heat input... No need making multiple mistakes that could have been avoided had you done ample research... We want you to be safe and successful and you're not headed down that road right now as I see it...
Dude I don't bash the way you do things there is never really just one way of doing things now if I was using hazardous materials I could understanding your concern.

Now this is the second post of mine that I have commented on bashing my shit I been doing this for a while and I know whats safe to use and what's not. I have my main still that I use this is just a little fun project I built outta my scrap copper I had laying around now them glass jars can and do work if u heat the glass slowly and cool slowly.

I made copper lids for them jars dude so like I said earlyer get up off my ass and stop telling me that the worm is to small I told u on my last post that I use a 10 gallon reserve and a recirculating pump. Just because something ant your way don't mean its the wrong way.

Now I would love to have a discussion with you to talk about things to maybe try to show you that I know what I'm doing. I didn't join this forum to get in a pissing contest about who's right about a certain way of doing things.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

You stated correctly: COULD be dangerous.
One also needs sulfuric acid. I tried! Almost lost my hair!

I can partly agree with Rads comment. For example: the thumpers are too small as is shown by the overfilling of them. Judging by the photo I would find thumpers with at least twice the volume for the next run. Or cut down powerinflux to slow down the whole process.

But this guy build a system and tried it. And instead of hearing what we (??) have (??) to think about it, I would rather hear what the user found out about it.
I think it needs some further development, but I am curious about Mississippiddissttillirs :) own experiences.

If he survived this experiment. :twisted:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Mississippidistiller wrote:...it works if u heat glass up slowly there is little to no risk of breaking...
There is ALWAYS risk of untempered glass to break. Thermal shock will occur in a second if the glass is hot and hit with cold (water). When that happens...and it WILL eventually...you'll have hot vapors everywhere. And possibly even hot liquids too.

Borosillicate glass is designed (and manufactured) to tolerate high temperature swings. Mason jars are not.

Here's the deal...if you must use Mason jars....just don't bring them here to this site. We have rules and that glass breaks the rules. With that...what you do on your own is your deal....but don't advocate it here where the safety of others is jeopardized.

And, if you can't tolerate the admonishment, go somewhere else.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Mississippidistiller wrote:
Yes it works if u heat glass up slowly there is little to no risk of breaking and I made the lids outta copper so that rat guy need to get off my ass. And they did get full because I had my flame to high and turned my back for a second and the still puked.
The heating up of the glass is less a problem than most people think, PRESUMED you do it slowly. I once sterilised (1 to 20 litres) bottles by giving them a bottom of cold water, putting them on a wooden shelf and pouring boiling water in them. Bit by bit, after each portion swirling around vigourously. Until I could not stand the heat of the glass. Never broke one.
And in your case: even if one breaks, there is hardly a risk of fire: you use electric power and work in the open air.

Edit: after reading still_stirring: go on believing what you want. I rest my Kees.
Last edited by Kareltje on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Chill out, Mississippidistiller... We have rules here and you are not following them... What you do is all on you but when you post here in these public forums you are at the mercy of the membership... You are NOT being singled out here for using glass jars because it is common knowledge here in these forums, as well as most other distilling forums, that they are unsafe and too small, contrary to your opinion... The facts remain the facts, whether you accept them or not... Our forum, our rules... Had you done the research that we consider mandatory we wouldn't be having this conversation... Get over the attitude and listen to members rather than being defensive...
Mississippidistiller
Novice

Kareltje wrote:You stated correctly: COULD be dangerous.
One also needs sulfuric acid. I tried! Almost lost my hair!

I can partly agree with Rads comment. For example: the thumpers are too small as is shown by the overfilling of them. Judging by the photo I would find thumpers with at least twice the volume for the next run. Or cut down powerinflux to slow down the whole process.

But this guy build a system and tried it. And instead of hearing what we (??) have (??) to think about it, I would rather hear what the user found out about it.
I think it needs some further development, but I am curious about Mississippiddissttillirs :) own experiences.

If he survived this experiment. :twisted:
All it was meant to be was an experiment these guys on here are quick to jump to conclusions about things stating what could happen hell anything could happen in this hobby I never once stated that this was the way to do things and didn't tell anyone to do what I do. Like I told rat I been distilling for years and I have never posted a picture of my main rig which I promise would make these guys O so happy
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

looks like this has reached its end.Topic been moved to correct forum.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper