INNER TUBE

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

diesel1975
Novice

INNER TUBE

Post by diesel1975 »

Just saw a thread on here from master distiller saying that inner tube is no good in vapour path for a seal between keg and copper column. Was is wrong with butyl rubber anyway. This is approved from rainer distillers. As per mossrubber.com chemical resistance chart butyl rubber and ethyl alcohol have an E RATING resistance.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: INNER TUBE

Post by jb-texshine »

Rubber will break down and leach in time in contact with hitemp alcohol vapors.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

diesel1975 wrote:As per mossrubber.com chemical resistance chart butyl rubber and ethyl alcohol have an E RATING resistance.
"Note: all data based on 70°F unless other wise noted"
So how do you know it is safe at boiling temp?
For ethyl acetate (foreshots) it has a G rating, at room temp. The rating will be much worse at boiling temp.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I wouldn't ever want my liquor to taste like a "hundred miles of highway". Forget rubbers of all sorts. Stick with teflon ONLY.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

No mate seen first hand what happens to rubber used as a boiler still, it will most definitely break down, stain and adhere to the metal and naturally contaminate your distillate as it contains compounds that will carry though the vapour. I don't know if they are particularly harmful but I can see them enhancing the flavour in any positive way :sick:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Of course the people selling it say it's safe... That's what the tobacco companies said for years...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
ericrichards420
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ericrichards420 »

still_stirrin wrote:I wouldn't ever want my liquor to taste like a "hundred miles of highway". Forget rubbers of all sorts. Stick with teflon ONLY.
ss
yeah, what he said. I only use ptfe gaskets and a little teflon tape.
papapro
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by papapro »

I would not use it the rubber tube smels like diesel fuel I would use silicon instead of course food rated theflon is the best.
Yes I am a Novice with 40+ years of doing this hobby
distilling is like sex the slower the better and everyone is happy
fermenting is opposit to sex the faster the better
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The use of inner tube is not subject to debate... It is not an acceptable material here in these forums, plain and simple... If that is a problem then find a forum where it is acceptable and go hang out there... This isn't the biggest and best home distillation forum by just letting members post information about whatever materials they want... Just because some other site or still manufacturer uses it doesn't make it acceptable here and it's not the only questionable practice by Ranier, but that's beyond the scope of this topic...

Ask yourself a few questions before attempting to reply before this topic ends up getting locked...

Do you know exactly what every component of that inner tube is...???
Is that inner tube food safe...???
Would you let a baby gnaw on a piece as a chew toy when teething...???
Do you know the exact MSDS of the exact piece of inner tube some other novice might decide to use...???

If you can't confidently and accurately answer every one of those questions, let it go...!!!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Mikey-moo wrote:Of course the people selling it say it's safe... That's what the tobacco companies said for years...
I used to listen to a classical hour on the radio, on night shift.
The sponsor was Phillip Morris and the slogan,"You've nothing to lose but your smoker's cough".
True!
And I have had a smoker's cough most of my life, though I gave up maybe twenty years ago.
But then I did not change to Phillip Morris.....

Geoff
The Baker
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

as long as were on the what not to use thread silicon is not acceptable here either.
papapro wrote:I would not use it the rubber tube smels like diesel fuel I would use silicon instead of course food rated theflon is the best.
be water my friend
_DrPhil_
Novice

Post by _DrPhil_ »

The best thing you can use to seal up joints if you are not using tri clover clamps is X-Treme Tape. Its food grade. Its stands up to the heat, it really works well. I get mine from MoCap. http://www.mocap.com/silicone-tape.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
TPE-X_-_tape-silicone-xtreme-tape_app3.png
TPE-X_-_tape-silicone-xtreme-tape_app3.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

_DrPhil_ wrote:The best thing you can use to seal up joints if you are not using tri clover clamps is X-Treme Tape. Its food grade. Its stands up to the heat, it really works well. I get mine from MoCap. http://www.mocap.com/silicone-tape.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ah, here we go again... "Food Grade" does not equate to "Alcohol Safe"... Please post an MSDS that proves what you are implying, otherwise this remains yet another item that belongs in "What Not To Use"...
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

_DrPhil_ wrote:The best thing you can use to seal up joints if you are not using tri clover clamps is X-Treme Tape. Its food grade. Its stands up to the heat, it really works well. I get mine from MoCap. http://www.mocap.com/silicone-tape.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The spec sheet on their own page rates the performance against solvents as good. Not excellent. And against hydrocarbons as only good-fair. I wouldn't use this if you paid me.

Nothing touches ptfe tape... which is cheap as chips. Why risk your health with anything else? Except maybe flour paste...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
mulligan
Bootlegger

Post by mulligan »

You guys make me laugh. Thiamine (vitamin b) will reduce how quickly alcohols including ethanol kill us, but I laugh at how avoiding silicone contact to ethanol is advised, while we're clearly shortening life expectancy ourselves by drinking alcohol anyway.

The relative reduction of heads and tails that most of us do will reduce the shortening of our life expectancy even if drank from plastic glasses is better than those who drink commercially produced alcohol in similar quantities out of glass. The contact with plastic is brief in both examples.

NB I am referring to contact, not storage. Storage in plastics where chemical reactions and leaching would definitely take place is definitely bad.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Mulligan your point is understood by most if not all but why not promote the safest known pactices. Some materials are likely OK in brief contact and some are not, so for this very reason only those shown to be consistently shaft and reliable are promoted. I have personally seen some plastics fail with in a minute, one discoloured on contact and began to dissolve another crazy cracked. Now I'm not saying out of the many thousands of plastics there are not one or two suitable compounds but let's be sensible. As for inner tubes you have to be taking the piss surely
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin