How to check your still for leaks irish style.

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kareltje
Distiller

Re: How to check your still for leaks irish style.

Post by Kareltje »

I don't see any problems with the galvanized bucket: zinc is not toxic and is already for a very long time used in utensils for kitchen, garden and farm. It might slightly dissolve in a sour mash, but the contact time is short and it does not vaporize in distilling.
The wood of the cap does not need be a problem either. The so called submarine fermenter and still used by moonshiners was build of wood and iron and a lot of shine is aged in wood. The zinc or galvanized rings are at the outside and as said: zinc is not toxic.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

oh so the irony of it all, to use a less poisonous means to produce poison! :crazy: :lol:

Never mind anyway, what ever way we do it, recon it's got to be safer than swinging about in a tree with a Chainsaw in your hand :thumbup:
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

stillvodka wrote:oh so the irony of it all, to use a less poisonous means to produce poison! :crazy: :lol:

Never mind anyway, what ever way we do it, recon it's got to be safer than swinging about in a tree with a Chainsaw in your hand :thumbup:
Was that the voice of experience talking :lol:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Kareltje wrote:I don't see any problems with the galvanized bucket: zinc is not toxic and is already for a very long time used in utensils for kitchen, garden and farm. It might slightly dissolve in a sour mash, but the contact time is short and it does not vaporize in distilling.
The wood of the cap does not need be a problem either. The so called submarine fermenter and still used by moonshiners was build of wood and iron and a lot of shine is aged in wood. The zinc or galvanized rings are at the outside and as said: zinc is not toxic.
Since when is Zinc not toxic...??? You don't see stills made with galvanized pipe or sheet metal for good reason... Believe what you want in your corner of the planet but where I come from Zinc is not an approved material for contact with alcohol... Try Googling "Zinc toxicity" or "Zinc poisoning" before commenting further on Zinc...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_toxicity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

shadylane wrote:
stillvodka wrote:oh so the irony of it all, to use a less poisonous means to produce poison! :crazy: :lol:

Was that the voice of experience talking :lol:
I was watching some tree surgeons in my neighbours garden pruning these very large fur trees, they were hanging in these trees on ropes, with chainsaws hanging on clips from their waist :esurprised: not the job I would be wanting to do for a living, doing this every day, chances something nasty bound to happen :(
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Thank you.

I had not seen this among my previous search, but it sums up what I already found in a nice and concise manner.
spiff
Swill Maker

Post by spiff »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

taboo subject apparently though
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Taboos are for people who can not or do not want to think for themselves.
That is why I hardly can stop myself from tickling every now and then. :mrgreen: :twisted:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

you guys are too funny :lol: do it do things that way, no but I have no need to mess with singlings any more. I do still ladle my beer (some shithead stole my drill pump) as said the 2 gallon pale would stir things up. A piece of glass is a safer option than a flame but as stated it should be impossible to draw the flame into the kettle. These are not normally some piss tin kitchen still,
what he's doing is pretty standard for what it is :ewink:
As for dipperin from the bucket yaz ever tried to tip a full pale into a funnel by ya self :lolno:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Theres fuck all wrong with swinging out of a tree with a chainsaw until yo come across a wasps nest.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

spiff wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

Everything about home distillation of Alcohol is a Taboo subject :lol: unless you live in say NZ, but where I come from, you just don't talk about it, If I talk to friends about me making my own Alcohol , they are listening intently with their eyes shut and fingers stuffed in their ears :lol:
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

spiff wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

"Sigh"
Yep stiff don't eat ya still :roll: be really neat if you could just contribute something constructive and on topic just once.
Bit over this thread shitting with the anti copper crusade, its getting old champ.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

The men that walk around in the woods around my house or hang in a tree with a chainsaw told me they have the best job in the world!

And I have emptied a large pan or a bucket in a funnel several times.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Kareltje wrote:The men that walk around in the woods around my house or hang in a tree with a chainsaw told me they have the best job in the world!

And I have emptied a large pan or a bucket in a funnel several times.
Yes sure, that's fine then, just don't go chasing those Rabbits, especially if They're white :thumbup:
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Found the full video for anybody thats interested. Its best off left here though. :lol:

https://youtu.be/gIsngy2xwhw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
mulligan
Bootlegger

Post by mulligan »

Looks like the video editor is to blame. During most of the collection scenes there's a different container and a cotton/muslin filtering cloth. I suspect the collecting in pail was only supposed to be shown as a demonstration of how clear the output was.
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

This is hilarious, when I first got my set up? the guy I got it from told me to check for leaks this way.
First time I found what was thankfully only a small one? Was the last time I'd did it.
Easier to just add some packing if in doubt.