Safe to use these?

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MmmPeace
Novice

Safe to use these?

Post by MmmPeace »

Hello, all. I have decided (after many many hours of scouring the forums) to build my own still rather than buy. I have 0 experience in solder and metal work but thanks to the wealth of info on here I think I can get this :thumbup: I just purchased the best torch kit I could at Home Depot as well as an all in one starter kit of sorts. It has flux, solder, brush and emery cloth. I just want to make sure before I use it that it is indeed safe. I know it is lead free solder but still I wonder. Thanks for the help, picture of what I bought below.
Attachments
solderFlux_noExif.jpg
Anything is possible, just takes a massive influx of time and cash.

Support the HDA - working to make Home Distilling legal.
https://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Safe to use these?

Post by Snackson »

Yep, water soluble flux and lead free solder are the way to go! Good luck with your build!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

If I may recommend... the Flux is safe, but you will have a bugger of a time cleaning out that paste Flux in the end. You will have wished you had grabbed some liquid Flux from Grainger. Ask me how I know :oops:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:If I may recommend... the Flux is safe, but you will have a bugger of a time cleaning out that paste Flux in the end. You will have wished you had grabbed some liquid Flux from Grainger. Ask me how I know :oops:
+1... I use Harris Stay-Clean liquid flux for all of my still related soldering these days because it takes far less effort to get things clean... A real time saver... Just used it to solder a copper patch over a hole in stainless steel today...
TxBrewing
Swill Maker

Post by TxBrewing »

Can you provide a link for the flux please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Opdog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Opdog »

Here is the Amazon link. It may be cheaper at Grainger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001HW8E ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Also consider some cheap hobby brushes to apply it in the tight corner. You can find them for under a dollar at hobby stores and Home Depot.

I've stopped fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

TxBrewing wrote:Can you provide a link for the flux please
I purchased a 4oz bottle and brushes at one of the two welding supply houses here in town... Looks very similar to what Opdog posted, only smaller... A little goes a long way... Over the years I've used a lot of makeshift flux alternatives, some decent and some total crap, but once I started using Stay-Clean I've never looked back... Heck, I even bought the paste but have yet to use it but have it on hand just in case it might work better for specific applications...
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

TxBrewing wrote:Can you provide a link for the flux please

Here's a little kit of solder and flux for small jobs. You could knock out a boiler and small pot still head with this.
TxBrewing
Swill Maker

Post by TxBrewing »

Ordered thanks