Just for copper

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

diesel1975
Novice

Just for copper

Post by diesel1975 »

Just for copper solderless bonding. I need to do a attatched elbow on my plastic bucket flakestand which I don't want to melt. This product is a polymer which advertises a outstanding chemical resistance. Is there anybody that has used it before, has it would not be at the heat source just at the outlet of my condenser.POLYETHYLENE
GLYCOL
DIMETHACRYLATE is the main ingrediant,90-93%
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: Just for copper

Post by corene1 »

I am thinking you want a bulkhead fitting. They are threaded pieces that you can solder your worm to the they have a flange on one side with treads and a nut with seal on both sides. As you tighten the nut it compresses the seal so no leaks on the bucket. Probably find them in the McMaster carr catalog ora plumbing supply store.
fitting.jpg
diesel1975
Novice

Post by diesel1975 »

No just an elbow at the outlet of my flakestand so I can measure my abv distillate with my parrot
Attachments
NEW STILL.JPG
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

So are you trying to attach the parrot to the still or does your output stream flicker back and forth too much to stay in the parrots collection cup?
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

i might be misunderstanding you but i have a 45 degree elbow that i slip onto the copper tube coming out of the flakestand. Friction keeps it in place as there is no pressure on the line.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

diesel1975 wrote:Just for copper solderless bonding. I need to do a attatched elbow on my plastic bucket flakestand which I don't want to melt. This product is a polymer which advertises a outstanding chemical resistance. Is there anybody that has used it before, has it would not be at the heat source just at the outlet of my condenser.POLYETHYLENE
GLYCOL
DIMETHACRYLATE is the main ingrediant,90-93%
so the question that you are so elegantly dancing around is

"can I use this POLYETHYLENE plastic glue to attach a fitting to the output of my worm ?"

by nature of the fact that you posted in the what not to use thread I suspect you already

know the answer to the question you didn't ask. accurate assessment ?
be water my friend
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I have used that Just For Copper crap. Don't do it. It won't hold anything for any time. It's just crappy epoxy. No magic there.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

If the output is moving around too much to hit the collection cup of the parrot there's no need for an elbow,just make you a coonpecker out of twisted copper wire and leave it poking out of the end of the worm with a slight curve...the output will come off in a steady stream with a minimum of flickering around
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

jb-texshine wrote:If the output is moving around too much to hit the collection cup of the parrot there's no need for an elbow,just make you a coonpecker out of twisted copper wire and leave it poking out of the end of the worm with a slight curve...the output will come off in a steady stream with a minimum of flickering around
ya the coonpecker works to, ive used JB weld stick (the stuff you kneed together) to seal the worm to a plastic flake stand. it holds up pretty good and since it is only touching coolant water it should be safe.
Hank Reardon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hank Reardon »

corene1 wrote:I am thinking you want a bulkhead fitting. They are threaded pieces that you can solder your worm to the they have a flange on one side with treads and a nut with seal on both sides. As you tighten the nut it compresses the seal so no leaks on the bucket. Probably find them in the McMaster carr catalog ora plumbing supply store.
fitting.jpg
+1
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

To seal copper to plastic, poly butyl tape works good, too. It's used to seal windows and skylights in RVs. It's cheap, easy to apply, seals well, stays flexible, self adhesive, and works under water.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Silicon mastic - the sort they use for making glass fishtanks.
diesel1975
Novice

Post by diesel1975 »

There's no coon pecker for this guy. Somebody's watching to many moonshiner's episodes. Lol. Thanks for all your guys insights though.