Floaters

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BamaBill
Novice

Floaters

Post by BamaBill »

My buddy up in Indiana has been telling me he has what appears to be white lint floating in his spirits. He can filter it out. Says it looks like lint? It has happened to him twice, different recipes. Sorry I don't have much more to go on.
I asked him to join and post himself but I should be impressed he can even use a cell phone.
Any ideas?
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Floaters

Post by der wo »

To late tails cut?
Single run?
Worm?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

My guess would be oils from tails .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

I dunno guys. He runs a keg and a 1/6th keg thumper and liebig. It's not clouding up like late cuts, he just has had floaters... twice. Once in a rum and once on a sweet potato mash.
My thoughts was he had dust in his rig, piping or jars but he says it's all washed after each use and rinsed before a new run. Haven't seen em myself.
Thanks for input.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I've seen this stuff before. Like the guys said...it's coagulated oils from the tails. It came over late while still warm and then when it finally cooled in the collection jar, it nucleated and stuck together with other molecules, forming those light fluffs of white stuff sorta floating around in the distillate. A coffee filter will get it out for your buddy.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

still_stirrin wrote:I've seen this stuff before. Like the guys said...it's coagulated oils from the tails. It came over late while still warm and then when it finally cooled in the collection jar, it nucleated and stuck together with other molecules, forming those light fluffs of white stuff sorta floating around in the distillate. A coffee filter will get it out for your buddy.
ss
I'll buy it and pass it along. Learn something every day.. Thanks guys.