still set up

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mcG
Novice

still set up

Post by mcG »

hi,my home made still set up consists of a 11 gal s/s keg,the copper tube is 10 mm and 8 mm the thumper is 1 litre s/s,the heat is lpg,i have ran it a few times with vinegar and water,it runs with no problems, i will be doing 5 gal batches of sugar wash, the thumper does not over fill, and when you cut the heat siphons back to the boiler,i can run it with or without the thumper so i think it should be ok,as pot stills go,well i think so for now
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: still set up

Post by greggn »

> the thumper is 1 litre s/s

I'm afraid you'll find that thumper to be quite undersized. As a general rule-of-thumb a thumper should be 1/3 - 1/2 the size of your boiler.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

so i have read,however,it runs ok,so i will need to to see what alcohol is like when it comes out
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Post by goinbroke2 »

mcG wrote:hi,my home made still set up consists of a 11 gal s/s keg,the copper tube is 10 mm and 8 mm the thumper is 1 litre s/s,the heat is lpg,i have ran it a few times with vinegar and water,it runs with no problems, i will be doing 5 gal batches of sugar wash, the thumper does not over fill, and when you cut the heat siphons back to the boiler,i can run it with or without the thumper so i think it should be ok,as pot stills go,well i think so for now
So you have a 11 gal still and 10mm line? What are you, Canadian mixing measurements like that? LOL!

As said, the thumper is too small but all that will happen is less abv jump than if it was bigger. As far as the liquid syphoning back into the boiler when you cut the heat, you need to be able to "break the seal" immediately when you cut power. I have several connections on my set up to make it easier to break down and clean, the added benefit is that as soon as I cut the power, I crack one of the copper couplings in the 1/2" line just after the hogs head. This allows everything to drain into the parrot instead of syphoning back. If your still was copper sheeting instead of a heavy wall SS keg, you might collapse your still from the vacuum created in it.
Next is the copper tube, 10mm and 8mm? That's what, 7/16's and 1/4" tube? To me that's WAY to small, borderline dangerously small. Lines that small mean you have to go really slow so you don't over pressure your still. I'm running 15Gal and I use 1/2" after a 2" hogshead and I think that really is the minimum you should run on any still. Think of it this way, the larger line means slower vapour speed which means easier cooling/faster running.

just keep in mind, this is only an opinion and everyone is free to do what they want, but I would consider upgrading the tube size if I were you.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

thanks for that info,however,i'm just fooling around with designs at the moment,this one seems to work fine,i don't think the siphoning back is a problem,but i may make some tweaks later on,but its fun finding out,PS i can turn the heat down so that the spirit stops running,and break the seal and then cut the heat,also there is very little pressure if any in an open system
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

greggn wrote:> the thumper is 1 litre s/s

I'm afraid you'll find that thumper to be quite undersized. As a general rule-of-thumb a thumper should be 1/3 - 1/2 the size of your boiler.
i find that the small bore pipe,work with the small thumper,who would think eh
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

mcG wrote:
greggn wrote:> the thumper is 1 litre s/s

i find that the small bore pipe,work with the small thumper,who would think eh
You might find it works, but some people also find that drunk driving works just as well as sober driving. Doesn't mean it's safe.

Your vapor line is pretty small, meaning if a few pieces of grain get into the boiler it could boil over and potentially block the line and then your building pressure in the still = boom.

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

i only use sugar wash,and unless someone has a solid case for it not being safe,well i can assume its safe
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I read this in your I I intro:
mcG wrote:...hope to get your help,because i will need it
You seem to not want to heed the good advice you're being given.
Good luck with your journey.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

sorry but i think i'm getting unknown advice,i have ran water and vinegar and it works,so it should work with wash,but if it blows up i will let you know,if you haven't run with small pipes then you don't know,it just a hunch
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

i think the main issue here is that we want you to be safe. there a lot of experienced guys here. does your still work, yes. do you need to be careful, most definitely yes. the size lines you have are undersized. for about 5 bucks you can add a pressure relief valve. won't fix the piping size issue, but is another layer of protection.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

mcG wrote:but if it blows up i will let you know

You so sure that you'll have the opportunity? What's the consequence of taking advice from the group you sought out vs not? The risk doesn't seem to out weigh the reward.

But, I ain't here to tell you want to do, only tell you what I know. You only get out of it what you put in.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

nuntius01 wrote:i think the main issue here is that we want you to be safe. there a lot of experienced guys here. does your still work, yes. do you need to be careful, most definitely yes. the size lines you have are undersized. for about 5 bucks you can add a pressure relief valve. won't fix the piping size issue, but is another layer of protection.
but there's no pressure in there,there's more pressure when boiling water and vinegar than heating a wash
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

mcG wrote:i only use sugar wash,and unless someone has a solid case for it not being safe,well i can assume its safe
You come on the forums looking for help, and the first bit of help people try to give you, you ignore it. Would you drive your car on the freeway with 4 bald tires and no brakes? Just because you don't die before you get to the first offramp you think your safe to drive across the country...

Sent from my E6560C using Tapatalk
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

mcG wrote:
nuntius01 wrote:i think the main issue here is that we want you to be safe. there a lot of experienced guys here. does your still work, yes. do you need to be careful, most definitely yes. the size lines you have are undersized. for about 5 bucks you can add a pressure relief valve. won't fix the piping size issue, but is another layer of protection.
but there's no pressure in there,there's more pressure when boiling water and vinegar than heating a wash
ok, without getting to technical. doesn't really matter what you're heating up. i could pull out my fluid dynamics text book but bottom line is you are creating a vapor. that vapor passes through your rig. you created "pinch points" that can cause back pressure. especially if they get blocked with fluid or other matter. your thumper has really narrow piping that may not allow for air to act as your relief. again, i would rather err on the side of caution here. use the wealth of knowledge that we have here. no one is going to purposefully try to lead you the wrong way. bottom line everyone here wants to make this as safe as we can for everyone.

heck, i've had still catch me on a couple of things, like my grist mill i'm working on. i'll never admit he was right though :D . might go to his head.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

mcG wrote:sorry but i think i'm getting unknown advice
you are getting rock solid advice, and you are choosing to ignore that advice,

or worse yet choosing to argue with those very knowledgeable people trying to help you.

it is on you to open your eyes and learn something.
be water my friend
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

If you think you are getting "unknown" advise why even ask. Buddy there is thousands of years of combined experience here, why not take advantage of that.
You are not always going to get the answer you want to hear but the fact is you setup sounds dodgy as all hell. A one litre thumper fed by a 42 litre boiler is bloody ridiculous and an 8 mm line has about 100% chance of causing a pressure build up. Get your affairs in order if you are going to persist with it.
Edit posted same time as the above two.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

ok guy's lets rewind a bit,i said in the intro,i could use your help,but not yet as i have not come across a problem yet,but when i do,i will be sure to let you's know,i have ran the still hard with boiling water,there has been no leaks and nothing has popped,so i feel confident that when i run it with wash,it will be fine,ok the first time i run,i wont be using the thumper,i will dump the first pint and a half,that will be the fore shots,some heads and the pipe cleaning,i will run it twice, the rest i will collect in 125ml amounts,i will check these out and keep what i like,the rest can go to the next batch,if i do have a big problem i will say so,so no one try's it in future,thanks
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I think at this point it is clear to everyone that you are doing your own thing, and that it is against better judgement. No need to post an update, we have already made it clear that no one should try this in the future, regardless of your results.

We'll be looking for the first problem that you do want our help on. We'll be here for you, no worries. Be safe. Read alot.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

thecroweater wrote:If you think you are getting "unknown" advise why even ask. Buddy there is thousands of years of combined experience here, why not take advantage of that.
You are not always going to get the answer you want to hear but the fact is you setup sounds dodgy as all hell. A one litre thumper fed by a 42 litre boiler is bloody ridiculous and an 8 mm line has about 100% chance of causing a pressure build up. Get your affairs in order if you are going to persist with it.
Edit posted same time as the above two.
i hope your not a betting man
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:I think at this point it is clear to everyone that you are doing your own thing, and that it is against better judgement. No need to post an update, we have already made it clear that no one should try this in the future, regardless of your results.

We'll be looking for the first problem that you do want our help on. We'll be here for you, no worries. Be safe. Read alot.
Awesome post. You really do deserve that new jacket :)
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i get unfermentables built up in my column and lyne and condensor that bakes on and i have to scrub off SS from time to time. My gear has a much larger ID than 1/4 inch tube.
so who knows... maybe in the small tubes nothing ever bakes on, no stray baked on shit in the boiler ever falls off. never accidentally leave a scrap of paper towel or rag in the boiler. hell,nobody ever does that.

prolly never have a problem, but if you do, really how big could the problem get? Likely not much worse than silver trails.

nuthin to worry about for you. maybe your widow, but you'll be fine. :thumbup:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

This thread reminds me of the "Glass Carboy or glass wine jug as pot still?" thread over in the safety forum. I highly recommend reading it.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

My condenser line is a bit undersized and the tube is pretty small, too. Haven't measured it lately but it could well be about the same as mcG's. It is on a twenty litre stock pot but was designed for a six or so litre pot, I changed it when I got sick of emptying and re-filling the pot...
Anyway it does work fine, just need to blow through it before use; one time it was a bit slow to start and then a bug came shooting out....

Geoff

P. S. Re-checked, mine is half-inch Outside Diameter, that's 12.7 mm. Dunno if mcG's is inside or outside but mine may be a bit bigger.
But do make sure the tube is clear before you use the condenser; before that bug shot out there was steam coming from under the lid.... G.
Last edited by The Baker on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Baker
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

The Baker wrote:My condenser line is a bit undersized and the tube is pretty small, too. Haven't measured it lately but it could well be about the same as mcG's. It is on a twenty litre stock pot but was designed for a six or so litre pot, I changed it when I got sick of emptying and re-filling the pot...
Anyway it does work fine, just need to blow through it before use; one time it was a bit slow to start and then a bug came shooting out....

Geoff
at last a man with vision
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

The Baker wrote:My condenser line is a bit undersized and the tube is pretty small, too. Haven't measured it lately but it could well be about the same as mcG's. It is on a twenty litre stock pot but was designed for a six or so litre pot, I changed it when I got sick of emptying and re-filling the pot...

Geoff
Yes smaller line are easier to stop up then larger. Its all about moving steam with alcohol in it.Hopefully with none of the mash in it.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I added a postscript to my original post before those replies...

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I don't mind a small bet every now and then, last bet I had was a game played at the mcG , luckily I didn't bet my life on it :wink:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
mcG
Novice

Post by mcG »

i'm glad i tried it first before posting,or i might have got worried for a second,or two
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

thecroweater wrote:I don't mind a small bet every now and then, last bet I had was a game played at the mcG , luckily I didn't bet my life on it :wink:
You obviously didn't back the Kiwis then........ Although they are doing OK in India.