Taste the old backset

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Taste the old backset

Post by bilgriss »

Mashed a couple of mostly malt batches over the weekend, and started by heating water with about 10% backset. Not necessary when mashing malted barley, but I do like the flavor contribution and I seem to get a little more yield when mxing in some other grains (I added a little corn and rolled oats).

The bucket had been sitting for about a year, and it looked and smelled pretty good, so I dipped a finger or two into the old backset and took a taste. It's something I have often done, and didn't give it another thought.

About the time I was mixing in the grain for batch number two, I suddenly realized I had an urgent need and ran to the bathroom where I pretty near evacuated my entire insides. A couple hours later I felt fine again.

So, I guess I'll be a little more reluctant to judge backset by tasting in the future. Something grew in there that didn't work for me. Worked great in the mash though.

I'll be taking suggestions for a proper naming for this batch of whisky.......... Ready ..... Set ...... Go!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Taste the old backset

Post by acfixer69 »

I would never dip my finger in anything that old a year old and not expect the same or worst results. But I have that's how I now no what not to do. :lol:
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Here we go, I can see this thread going the proverbial drain in a hurry...
LOL.
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Mud Butt Whiskey
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Un-duplicateable flying monkey shit whiskey
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

What length of time between tasting and diarrhea? A preformed toxin typically takes 6 hours to cause symptoms, and a live infection 24 hours. Maybe it was your breakfast rather than the backset.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

It would have been about four hours, I think. Breakfast had been a very safe cereal and coffee. Yes, sometimes you just gotta stick the finger in to find out what's going to happen. But next time, I might think twice.

Hillbilly Popstar, I like the name, but "Un-duplicatable"? I still have some of the backset if I were to feel so inclined (I don't).

Mud Butt or some derivative thereof seems about right. It'll be a couple/few weeks before I have a sense of what it's really like. Batch 3 in the mash process is going on top of a yeast cake left from a Porter I just kegged.
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

You could call it "The Inca Two-Step"
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I've got a half gallon of heavy peat backset I sure as shit am not tasting it but it smells pleasant for what it is.it's about 6 months old. Any suggestions for the use of it? I do have a 55 pound run coming next weekend (breiss 2 row barley malt) should I try it on my bulk run or shit I have a rum run to make as well thatd be some funky rum
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
metalsmith
Bootlegger

Post by metalsmith »

acfixer69 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:44 pm I would never dip my finger in anything that old a year old and not expect the same or worst results. But I have that's how I now no what not to do. :lol:
My Dad told me to leave anything under 21 alone.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I heard 16 will get you 20
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass »

bilgriss wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:26 pm Yes, sometimes you just gotta stick the finger in to find out what's going to happen. But next time, I might think twice.
Even without context, this is great advice.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

acfixer69 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:44 pm I would never dip my finger in anything that old a year old and not expect the same or worst results. But I have that's how I now no what not to do. :lol:
careful fella. you only get to do that another couple or three times before you have to learn from it!
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Spirit run this morning. The three stripping runs went off like clockwork. MuddButt is going to age for a while on some toasted and charred oak leftover from a batch of Honey Bear that I recently proofed down and bottled.

As for all the advisement and legal advice; my finger will remain where it should be, or at least get a second thought (or first) before future action. Thanks.
PaulmyFinger
Novice

Post by PaulmyFinger »

I know this is old but it just keeps giving. I like Special #2
freebase
Novice

Post by freebase »

I was curious about backset today also.
...had a very high corn mash (1º/strip/spirit run) backset left over.
let it cool overnight (covered), bottled it, & left it to use next day.

Surprisingly, It had already started 'fermenting' by the next morning.

Basically, the still run/boiling knocked off any residual yeast/fermentation potential.
...but the cooling rest allowed a bacteria to populate the liquid.
The container was not the same shape when under that amount of pressure.

Motto : Use backset whilst still hot (protected/effectively over-pasteurised) from the still run.
Any other scenario,there is a good chance of an Olympic dash...
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’m making a seafood miso noodle soup tonight and use a bottle of wine to make the soup broth. Cooking off the alcohol during the process and realize that what’s left in the pot is backset “and stuff”.

Enjoy your backset I sure do!

Cheers,
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Nearly two years after my initial incident, I found about a gallon and a half of this magical backset under some stuff in the basement. I'm going to use a gallon to start off some Uncle Jesse.

The backset was covered by a bright white cap of some sort of growth, which looked very much like a kombucha scoby on the underside.

The previously ofensive aroma was gone. I could't actually smell this at all cool. Heating fora 15 minute boil before trusting it with anything, I was greeted with a very pleasant aroma. What is evaporating is a very nice smell of malt with just a hint of backset and funk. Very interesting, like the most pleasant aspects of the backset after distillation without the intensity and tails aroma.

I had to do a Google search to find this thread, but I thought it was worth an update. If I live I'll let you know the outcome later.