Prohibition - Must See TV

The long and storied history of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Prohibition - Must See TV

Post by Braz »

This coming Sunday night (10/2/11) PBS is showing the Ken Burns documentary, "Prohibition." It continues Monday and Tuesday. If you know Burns' work at all you know this will be good. Here's a link to the show's website just to give you a teaser. http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Only problem is that it will spill over into the time slot of my new favorite show "Boardwalk Empire" (HBO) but I DVR that one as a matter of course anyway. Boardwalk Empire is also a prohibition era show. See a theme here?

And, As long as we are on the subject, if you are interested in prohibition era history at all you need to find the book "Last Call" by Daniel Okrent. Fantastic read, full of stuff you never knew before.
Braz
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Prohibition - Must See TV

Post by LWTCS »

Thanks Braz.
Yeah I luv that HBO show.
Every time I see one of them boys sippin down a neat whiskey,,,,,I think of you fellers..........And I get thirsty.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

Thanks for the heads up. Im gonna DVR this one for sure. Love the ken burns docs on "The war" Kick ass. :thumbup:
-Control Freak-
AKA MulekickerHDbrownNose
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

My wife and I watched this last night (while sipping on our favorite cocktail). As my wife stated, "prohibition was about so much more than just alcohol. At that time in history it was more of a social revolution with many irons in the fire and the anti-booze element created the biggest stir." Another comment I found ammusing was when my wife sarcastically says, 'feminism's finest hour'. I couldn't help but laugh.

We enjoyed it from a historical standpoint.
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

Well, now I now why they call(ed) them 'teatotalers', , , , -hey-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
nwvapors
Novice

Post by nwvapors »

I really enjoyed the story of George Remus, damn that guy ran it all from possession to distribution and profited at every step. Am I remembering correctly a million dollars a month, in the 20's? Holy shiznet. :esurprised:
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

I never really knew much about pre prohibition alcohol history. There was alot of that. Its crazy, all the shit they tried to brainwash people with :?
-Control Freak-
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

I saw some of it last night but I was so tired that I kept falling asleep and eventually turned it off. But I really enjoyed the parts I did see and will definitely take another look when I get the chance. The Feds smashing all those full barrels brought tears to me eyes ...
I do all my own stunts
MuleKicker
retired

Post by MuleKicker »

blind drunk wrote: The Feds smashing all those full barrels brought tears to me eyes ...

You and me both :cry:
-Control Freak-
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Damn, I wished I had known about it before leaving on vacation so I could of DVR'd it to watch when I get home :(
USACelt
Bootlegger

Post by USACelt »

Found it a great bit of American history, more than just the drink.
Ní uasal aon uasal ach sinne bheith íseal: Éirímis.(Séamas Ó Lorcáin)

The great appear great because we are on our knees: Let us rise.(Big Jim Larkin)
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I am resurrecting this thread as I was scrolling through for something to read, and this popped out at me. The reason is I just watched it on Canadian Netflix. I know the programming is different for US and Canada, but maybe it's on both. If not, US just need a Canadian proxy. Interesting documentary. Wife even enjoyed the 3 episode series.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Thanks for the heads up . My family lived through that (most of them) sometimes profit and sometimes loss . If I can get it on US Netflix I will watch it all .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

If you don't have it, look up how to watch netflix using a VPN. We use an American VPN (there are free ones) so we can watch American netflix on occasion. Not sure in the US about legality, but it's a legal "grey" area here.