Grandaddy and Uncle Elmer 1956

The long and storied history of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Grandaddy and Uncle Elmer 1956

Post by Truckinbutch »

Like I've tole y'all before , Grandady was a crusty old store keeper in Carroll County ,VA . Widowed when my Momma was 7 . Reared 6 children . Had a very small clapboard house divided into 4 rooms with a porch in front and a stoop in back . 3 path deal . 1 to the well , 1 to the backhouse , 1 to the wood shed . Wood cook stove and 1 wood stove in the parlor/Grandady's bedroom .Poplar plank walls with wall paper to divide rooms . He didn't mind his 4 sons being involved in the likker trade except when they started gettin too deep into the product and acted out .
Uncle Elmer was kinda bad for that . Wanted to fight in a terrible way right about when he was so whaggled that he just couldn't .
We were there , me and Momma and Daddy for a week visit and sleepin in the back bedroom off the kitchen . Summer of 1956 . Visitin family and gettin back to spend evenings with Grandaddy after he closed the store across the road .
That store was 115 yards from Grandaddy's parlor/bedroom . That's another story for another time .
Every room had a single 40 watt light in center ceiling and a pull string tied off to a conveint location . Bed time was early . Grandaddy opened the store at before daybreak to accommodate the folks going out to work and closed about dusk dark in the evening . He'd visit after that in the parlor until he thought it was bed time . Then everybody that was stayin had to go to bed .
Uncle Elmer had got into the likker pretty early in the day with 3 other loafers on the liars bench on the store porch . That lead to the fight . Uncle Elmer against the other 3 . Took Daddy , Uncle Avis , and Granddaddy
to separate them before those 3 fellers could carve on Uncle Elmer with their Barlow pocket knives , which they was fixin to do . Sent them on their separate ways .
Uncle Elmer was some pissed and went off drinkin for the rest of the day . Didn't show at the house until just after we had gone to bed . Rantin and ravin he was pacin back and forth in the kitchen . Railed at Grandaddy that he shouldn't have pulled him off those boys , he could have whipped all of them .
Momma ,Daddy , and I are already in the back corner bedroom stretched out to sleep 3 to the bed and can hear all that is happening quite well .
Grandaddy ,"Oh yes , Elmer , you are such a hell of a man that you could have whipped half a dozen of them . Now it's time to go to bed , Elmer ."
Elmer , "Half a dozen hell ! I coulda whipped 6 if you sob' hada left me "
BAM ! And Daddy shoved Mom and me off the edge into the shelter between the bed and the wall because Grandaddy had just fired his .38 through a wall at Uncle Elmer because he had run out of patience .
"Elmer , I got the range now and I've heard enough . It's bed time . If you move again I will not miss ."

Uncle Elmer stayed right there on that kitchen floor until the next morning when Grandaddy told him he could get up for breakfast .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: Grandaddy and Uncle Elmer 1956

Post by pounsfos »

hahaha If only you could do that these days.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Ahhhh, quality family time.

S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
pale horse
Novice

Post by pale horse »

Great story sounds like my family on the farm during deer hunting in minn my grandfathers farm is three miles out of kensington but was raised 25 miles north west of bemidji minn.
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ranger_ric »

Now THAT my friends is a hellofa BedTime story !!! Thanks TB
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Paintin pictures, thanks TB:thumbup:
Cheers to granddaddys, past and present.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Nutmegmooner
Swill Maker

Post by Nutmegmooner »

Just wonderful!
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Great! Thanks.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

TB further demonstrates his writing skills in the HD Novella. Give it a read if you haven't already. It's turning into an epic novel. TB has many other excellent writings scattered around the forums - much of it in the Liars Bench thread. The man knows how to spin a yarn.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else: