A little history, and pictures of Copper Stills

The long and storied history of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jerry Walstad
Novice

A little history, and pictures of Copper Stills

Post by Jerry Walstad »

So I was told I'm the grand daddy to Uncle Jessie's Simple Sour Mash recipe. Well then my father was the great-grand daddy, and my grandfather was the great-great-grand daddy. My recipe has been in my family for over 100 years!

I really haven't used the internet before, and I'm surprised and proud to see my recipe "still" going strong.

I was told I should put a little of my story here, so here goes.

In 1972 I was arrested in Battle Ground, Washington with 240 gallons of bootleg whiskey (there's a lot more to that story!) and after my arrest I decided to "go straight" and put my energy into getting alcohol legalized.

Back in the 1970s I pioneered the modern alcohol industry, in fact I had a big blowout argument with Washington's then Governor Dixy Lee Ray, including accusing of her of "discriminating against her own Washingtonians, by not allowing them to make a legal fuel alternative, as we were in an energy crisis at the time. This ended with her yelling at me over the phone "Fine, you show up with as many stills as you can and I'll put them in the Capital building!"

In 1980, after taking the Governor up on her offer, myself and my stills were inside the Capital building. There was a Highway Patrolman stationed in the main entrance of the Capital building, he stated "I never thought there would ever be a moonshine still in the Capital without someone being in prison!" So we even took a picture of him with his grumpy face and disposition next to our still and proceeded with our exhibition.

After that the Governor was instrumental in getting the old laws changed (up until that time we had been using alcohol laws from 1954). She invited many national dignitaries for me to show cause to legalize alcohol making as a fuel for the general public. The response was tremendous in our favor, and we were even promoted internationally by the Governor and her staff.
Of course there's a lot more to tell, but I don't want to write a novel here. If you'd like to read more, the About page on my website has more of my story.

If interested, I could do a short series with more of my history, the history of our stills etc.

Jerry (J.W.) Walstad
likker liker
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: A little history, and pictures of Copper Stills

Post by likker liker »

I remember hearing about you being arrested and later the work you did to change the laws here in Washington
I truly enjoy reading this short history about you, Thanks
Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider »

I met Dixie Lee several times, she used to live on Fox Island and her dogs were constantly chasing deer down on the beach. Do you have the photo of the State Trooper posing by the stills?

Maybe some of the work you did years ago helped to get Washington State into the lead for craft distilling.

I tried to purchase a Craft Distiller license from the state three years ago, but they won't sell the state permit until you have your federal permit.

Legally, I can't make shine here at home, but I can grow and smoke dope until my head explodes. Doesn't seem right.

Thanks for sharing a piece of your story, I would like to hear the Battle Ground details if you ever are inclined to share.

Thanks.
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...
Jerry Walstad
Novice

Post by Jerry Walstad »

No I'm afraid I don't have the picture anymore, it was a Polaroid I took, and they tend to fade and die out over time, or get lost. It wasn't like the days of today, where you could put them digitally on a computer. That was not even a thing that was dreamed up yet!

Sorry.

Over the years before I retired, we sold over 6,000 stills worldwide, and a lot of them were sold throughout the Pacific Northwest. Our emphasis at the time though was as a source of alternative energy fuel, not as a beverage. However it's the same product, and in fact the Walstad family Sour Mash Recipe I used for bootlegging was the same recipe I put in the manuals I sold with the stills for making ethanol fuel.

Jerry
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Such an interesting story :clap: I hope you continue to contribute here . I think you have the capacity to liven many conversations . You could also gain a reserved seat on the Liar's Bench with your potential for good stories .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Thank you for your devotion to our craft ..Your son does some beautiful work.
Refreshing to hear from folks with heritage thats not afraid to talk about it ..
Carry on sir. :D
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I also met then Governor Dixie Lee Ray, when she came to our town to give a talk at our local Engineers meeting. If I remember correctly she had a Doctoral Degree in Nuclear Physics. I love the story and can just imagine those stills in the Capital Building as it is a very impressive place to visit.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Bushman wrote:I also met then Governor Dixie Lee Ray, when she came to our town to give a talk at our local Engineers meeting. If I remember correctly she had a Doctoral Degree in Nuclear Physics. I love the story and can just imagine those stills in the Capital Building as it is a very impressive place to visit.
Indeed. It is a very beautiful structure.

I was born and raised in the PNW, and love this hobby. That is a very good story Jerry, I really enjoy it. Hope to see you at the liar's bench in the future. :thumbup:

Edit, what happened to the pictures?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Ad was removed from post and placed in classifieds with pics http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p7323702
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

So sour mash is from Washington?

So I'm tole