family heritage

The long and storied history of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bama1981
Novice

family heritage

Post by Bama1981 »

My Paternal grandmother's brother(C) was a shiner in central Alabama during the early years of the 20th Century. During the depression years of the 1930's C supported the family with the sale of Jones Corner Juice. He was eventually caught(snitched on) and spent time in the Federal Pen. First offense was greeted with such a harsh penalty because the biggest shiner in Central Alabama was the Sheriff of Elmore County...Lester Holley. Holley was as crooked as the road from Titus to Weogufka. Everyone knew it, but the Sheriff's biggest customers were the wealthy of the area, so all was let slide. Not to be out done my mother's uncles were big shiner's with connections to customers south of Montgomery, Alabama... Most every Sunday during the summer Mom used to always get asked, by her uncles, if she wanted to go see her Aunt in Lapine. They gave her a car and even gas and spending money...Guess who was running the likker for the uncles..by the way, Mom was 15years old...With a family history like that it's mandatory that I learn to make corn likker.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: family heritage

Post by NZChris »

That sounds like a mighty fine reason to me, Bama :D Welcome to the forum.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Lots of our families started out thattaway . That means if we intend to carry on the family tradition it is even more incumbent on us to be the best that we can be . Be safe and welcome aboard . :wave:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Angel_Kefka
Bootlegger

Post by Angel_Kefka »

Definitely closer related than any I know of in my family. Have some a few generations back I'm sure, given the location and family. But I don't know any specifics.
rnw349
Bootlegger

Post by rnw349 »

That's an awesome story Bama. Be safe, and welcome to the forum.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Nice story, Bama.. :)
Welcome in..