The Still Room 1903

The long and storied history of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

The Still Room 1903

Post by Rastus »

found a recent addition in the Gutenberg Project.

involves a lot of topics related to housewifery including making beer wine and distilled spirits, also distilling oils etc.

a lot of fun graphics and old illustrations...

for what its worth:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/49449/49 ... 9449-h.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Rastus
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Re: The Still Room 1903

Post by DAD300 »

Very nice...thank you.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

yessir,

love this site it has a few other books more specific to our hobby, but i am constantly downloading books from here.

it reminds me of pawing through the old books my grandparents used to have.

regards
But he loved her Still
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Thanks for posting, great book, great drawings.

From the bit on distilling:

"There is no occupation that comes nearer to the work of gods than this occupation of distilling. By the application of fire, the purest of the elements, we separate from gross, substantial bodies those subtle essences which alone gave them distinction and charm. The distiller can but smile at the impotence of those who are unable to conceive the possibility of a post-physical human existence, for, day by day, as he stands before his stills, he sees the miracle performed whereby the spiritual, the essential, is separated and continues to exist apart from the material body in which it previously dwelt.

The work is worthy of fine natures, and should be undertaken with a mind full of reverence."
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

it is poetry indeed. and truly "Spiritual"
But he loved her Still
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

Wow! Amazing stuff. Love those old illustrations of the alchemists at work. Thanks for sharing this.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Of all the newfangled types of micro distilleries popping up, imagine the fun you could have labeling for this distilling technique:

DISTILLING BY HEAT OF FERMENTING MANURE.
(From Peter Morwyng’s “Treasure of Enonymus,” 1559.)

I can see it now, "Rastus's All Bullshit Bourbon"

flavors you will NEVER Believe were possible, and thats no BS! :lol:
But he loved her Still
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Awesome read. I loved the foxfire series, and can already see this fits right in. Just started and found it interesting. Had to find a pdf though. No eReader.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

Moose... these are available for free in many formats here is a link there is a few options and 2 pages look at the bottom of the list and there is a folder that says "more files"

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
But he loved her Still
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Thanks Rastus. I did find pdf. A quick glance through some things and I was reminded of watching my grandparents make a lot of things...especially a big barrel of sauerkraut...Been doing a bit of that myself on smaller scale. Seems anything fermented and/or preserved goes hand in hand with this hobby, and old ways of doing things.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

yessir,

It is amazing how fun and interesting the old ways are and how useful they can be... so many of our kids would be totally lost if thrown back into a life without say, electricity.... and much of our modern conveniences.

i had most of the foxfire books also in the 70s and 80's still have a few of them what a great work they compiled when they did that...

i just bought a hard copy of a set of books i saw on the same site, called Hawkins Electrical guide. what fun i love how he explains electricity, using things like steam engines for analogies.

it is a series of 10 they have 4 i think, i saw a whole set on ebay for 23 $ but they wont ship to me, but i got it covered from amazon.

fun:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/ ... city&go=Go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
But he loved her Still