Have a good laugh - Poteen in Ireland in 1923

The long and storied history of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Have a good laugh - Poteen in Ireland in 1923

Post by Jimy Dee »

This is an extract from a Garda (Police) Station in Ireland from 1923. Believe it or not it is historically correct.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Inspection Minute by headquarter officer E.O. Cugain L/ Commissioner at Corofin Station on 11/5/1923.

Visited station in conjunction with divisional tour. Sergeant McLennon and station party present.

When I entered the station the Sergeant sat glowing at me and refused to call the party to attention. I called the party to attention and Guard O’Neill tried to run and fell into the fireplace. I asked the Sergeant to account for the state of affairs and he replied in such a manner as would do more justice to the worst corner boy in the slums of London. I searched the barracks and found that a seizure of poteen – 5 gallons – made yesterday was almost drank by the station party. The barrack servant sat on the keg with the baton in her hand protecting the remainder and refused to remove herself. She also had possession of books and records and refused to let me examine same.

This is a disgraceful state of affairs and I returned immediately to Tuam and had all the parties suspended. On leaving the station Garda Burke caught me by the uniform and would not let me go until I promised to refund a fine of £5 imposed on him and have the record of same erased. I examined the barrack and the WC was filled with the station records used apparently by the station party on their visits there. On returning to the front door I found the Sergeant attending to a call of nature and he started to argue with me with his person exposed. I heard a noise issuing from the cell and when I went to investigate I found three young women in there – names and statements taken. They explained that when passing the barracks they were forcefully taken in by the Sergeant, a Garda Burke and Garda O’Toole for a purpose better imagined than described.

(signed) E.O’Cugain L/Commisioner.

P.S. As I was leaving the barrack a local trader approached me and demanded that I make the party pay some of their account due for the past eight months accounting to £70. I hope that the divisional officer will see that all of these men will be retained in the force until they earn enough to discharge same.

Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Have a good laugh - Poteen in Ireland in 1923

Post by Shine0n »

Ahh the good ole days :thumbup:
Funny stuff Jimy Dee
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Have a good laugh - Poteen in Ireland in 1923

Post by Swedish Pride »

Hahahaha, the rare old times :D