TTB Letter

Got letter from TTB? Post all letters here. Include where ya bought your equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TTB Letter

Postby fly4awhiteguy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:12 am

I have been reading these forums for a while now but have never been active until now. Within the last 3 years I purchased a boiler from Brewhaus. Last year I recieved an email from them stating that they are turning the customer information over to the TTB for certain items including the one that I purchased. Recently I received an actual letter from the TTB via USPS. It was a generic letter stating that they had records showing where I purchased a still or an item that could be used to make a still and reciting the relevant laws. It also had a press release attached about some busts in FL. I haven't been active in doing anything for a couple of years, but that made me a bit nervous.
fly4awhiteguy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: TTB Letter

Postby MGofPickens » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:33 am

I just received this letter today. Has me a little worried, which I'm sure was their intent.
3" pot still w/ 13 gallon boiler.
42" CM reflux column
MGofPickens
Novice

Postby Prairiepiss » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:20 pm

If you do a search. You will find that many others are getting letters. And also posting threads about it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Prairiepiss
Master Distiller

Postby demodenny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:53 pm

If you looked closely the letter is completely generic right down to the name and address label they printed and taped into the envelope window.. I can see a room full of folks printing, cutting and taping long sheets of listed names in costco envelopes as they roll off the printer then stuffing them with flyer like mass printed scare flyers.. Didn't even address me personally on the actual letter itself.. I would be curious to know if Florida is the only state where it is not legal to actually own a still weather you use it or not..
demodenny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby still livin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:34 pm

fly4awhiteguy wrote:I have been reading these forums for a while now but have neverer been active until now. Within the last 3 yearsfor I purchased a boiler from Brewhaus. Last year I recieved an email from them stating that they are turning the customer information over to the TTB for certain items including the one that I purchased. Recently I received an actual letter from the TTB via USPS. It was a generic letter stating that they had records showing where I purchased a still or an item that could be used to make a still and reciting the relevant laws. It also had a press release attached about some busts in FL. I haven't been active in doing anything for a couple of years, but that made me a bit nervous.

I was just curious, I thought you were only reported for buying a tower or condenser from the online suppliers? Are we being reported for everything from these websites?
still livin
Novice

Postby demodenny » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:16 pm

The letter specificity states, "and/or equipment or material that may be used in the manufacture of a still."
demodenny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Bob Loblaw » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:49 pm

still livin wrote:I was just curious, I thought you were only reported for buying a tower or condenser from the online suppliers? Are we being reported for everything from these websites?

Been covered a few times before. complete stills, towers, and boilers are reported. not supplies
Easiest way to avoid being on a TTB list is to not purchase a boiler, full column, or condensor from a retailer. Build your own.
Bob Loblaw
Swill Maker

Postby rad14701 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Bob Loblaw wrote:
still livin wrote:I was just curious, I thought you were only reported for buying a tower or condenser from the online suppliers? Are we being reported for everything from these websites?

Been covered a few times before. complete stills, towers, and boilers are reported. not supplies

Condensers, as well...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby mimsey11 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:15 pm

demodenny wrote:If you looked closely the letter is completely generic right down to the name and address label they printed and taped into the envelope window.. I can see a room full of folks printing, cutting and taping long sheets of listed names in costco envelopes as they roll off the printer then stuffing them with flyer like mass printed scare flyers.. Didn't even address me personally on the actual letter itself.. I would be curious to know if Florida is the only state where it is not legal to actually own a still weather you use it or not..

I live in Illinois, and it's illegal to own a still here, unless it has something to the effect of water distillation purposes only.
mimsey11
Novice

Return to Letters From TTB.