vegas jan 2016

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
HDNB
Site Mod

vegas jan 2016

Post by HDNB »

couple of us be taggin' up first week of January (4-10) in Vegas. Neutral territory, a bar or something for some eats, meets and greets.

if you are in town for CES (consumer electronic show) (or maybe a week early for the Adult Video Awards) reach out with a PM.

I'm a tourista there at this time too...so nothing fancy like BBQ or still sessions, just a hotel with half clothed servers.

remember... what happens in vegas...is likely going to cost a lot of money....
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: vegas jan 2016

Post by woodshed »

Great time of year for us to get away and we just happen to have a timeshare in Vegas. I will pass it by the SOH.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

AWESOME!!

The weather is so much nicer after that drop thru AZ/NV border...what do they call that? the Virgin river valley or something like that?

now i drink for evil.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Virgin river it is. As climbers we know it as the VRG, or the gorge.
Great climbing above one of the busiest highways in the nation.
Gonna do some climbing out at Red Rocks if we come out.
You up for it HDNB?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you have no idea how hard it is to drag 240lbs out of an armchair, nevermind up a cliff!!

I'd definitely be willing to *try*....but it does not matter what kind of shape you're in at my mass. I'd like to think i'm not bad shape for my age...but thats a lot of weight to lift. I can out-work most 20 yr. olds...but gravity still sucks!!!

i'll need at least double reduction gearing and a helmet! (rocks in my head are getting softer on the mohs scale)

now i drink for evil.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Gravity is a bitch. At least when your climbing.
We could even share our fellowship up in the condo. Well, if 40 people show up that might be a problem. So we will have to move down to the pool. :crazy:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

woodshed wrote:Virgin river it is. As climbers we know it as the VRG, or the gorge.
Great climbing above one of the busiest highways in the nation.
Gonna do some climbing out at Red Rocks if we come out.
You up for it HDNB?
Hey Woodshed I'd be up for a little Red Rock climbing in January - I think that Sour Mash (.10a) might be fun
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

If I'm not traveling I will see you guys here. I'm right down the road from red rock. I go hiking there all the time.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Oldvine Zin wrote: I think that Sour Mash (.10a) might be fun
That will be perfect! you fellas will need someone with a good telephoto lens to stay behind and take pictures...any guesses who that will be??

how did this go from drinks at a resort to mountaineering 5.10 in 6 posts? I'm tired already :tired:

now i drink for evil.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Asked my wife if she wanted to go to Vegas in Jan. She's kinda interested so I'm a definite maybe. :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Full on winter in Michigan that time of year.
Cheap flights out of Chicago.
I'm a definite maybe, too.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Last time hdnb was sweating up a storm here.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

in all fairness, that bartender was trying to melt people into candles with those radient heaters!

people who get winter are always laughing at the desert people in January...it's mid 60's into 70's and they are wearing t-shirts and shorts and all the Nevadian's are bundled up in downfill, toques and mitts....

the ones stamping their feet and blowing on their fingers are especially entertaining! :lol:

now i drink for evil.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

HDNB wrote:
Oldvine Zin wrote: I think that Sour Mash (.10a) might be fun
how did this go from drinks at a resort to mountaineering 5.10 in 6 posts? I'm tired already :tired:
At least the name of the climb is relevant to drinking :wink:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

HDNB wrote:in all fairness, that bartender was trying to melt people into candles with those radient heaters!

people who get winter are always laughing at the desert people in January...it's mid 60's into 70's and they are wearing t-shirts and shorts and all the Nevadian's are bundled up in downfill, toques and mitts....

the ones stamping their feet and blowing on their fingers are especially entertaining! :lol:
What is a nevadian? It does get coldish here around that time it is usually in the 30s or so. All I wear year round is my Canadian tuxedo, jeans and a long sleeve denim shirt.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Got the thumbs up from the wife.
We have private meeting rooms available at the resort.
Maybe we could get one.

Sour Mash is a great climb by the way. Gotta move fast on that climb in January or get caught in the dark on the way out. Not a short approach.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

a Nevadite? Nevadtonian?

Woodshed that's awesome, this resort is in vegas? or out by the rocks? This whole rock climbing thing sounds more like a spectator sport for me. i did a bit of research, it sounds like i'm a "1" climber, and only if there is beer at the top. I could do a 2 on my ATV, after a couple of beer... To do a 3, i'm going to need a dirt bike, some good boots and shot of smoke shine. I think i'll be leaving those 4's and 5's to you pros.

i'm actually working the CES with a few other people, so it's not a whole week off for me... but there will be lots of spare time. I'm good to go anywhere there...there is great eats and beverages every 15 feet on the strip, so whatever works!

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

wait...I got it! a Nevadan.

i've only ever seen 30* twice in town, the first week of January... since 1990. an i bin out pretty early...

now i drink for evil.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Deb is somewhat interested. Neither of us are 'Vegas' types, in fact I've never been there, but it fairly close and I would love to see y'all ! So I'm working on it, just need dates.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Just off the strip. Grand Desert Resort. Between Planet Hollywood and the Hard Rock.
They offer a shuttle to the strip as well.

Bigbob, we only go to Vegas for the shows and the climbing.
The shows include just walking the strip at night. :crazy:
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

HDNB wrote:wait...I got it! a Nevadan.

i've only ever seen 30* twice in town, the first week of January... since 1990. an i bin out pretty early...
Ding ding ding we got us a winner. It's only that warm because you're on the strip, its a heat island. Out by me its colder. I get snow a couple times a year.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Red Rocks is beautiful when it snows. Calico Basin looks like yummy frosted cakes after a dusting.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

It is real pretty. I like real early spring though, for all the waterfalls.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

BB, no such thing as non-vegas types. they got everything. PFshine, drinking, sub machine guns, nascar training, music, magic, helicopters, drinking, more food than is imaginable,hoover dam, cars, virgin river gorge, girls, jousting matches, drinking, shows, i've even heard that some people gamble there!

i'm there from january 4-9 inclusive. the bad news is CES means spendy hotel rooms...but they are still hurting a bit so not too spendy.

Geez, PF i get snow a couple times a day for about 6 months. I had ice on the hot tub lid....3 weeks ago!

now i drink for evil.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I'll keep working on the wife.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

this will help, Big

http://www.thunderfromdownunder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

now i drink for evil.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I have done the Nascar experience. Just one day but damn they make you feel like a rockstar. Next September we are going to renew our vows at the KISS chapel. Ace Frehley will do the honors. Love Vegas.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

If you stay further from the strip its a ton cheaper. If my place was bigger I would invite everyone over to stay. But I got room for one if ya need it.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Hmmm. And here I am 4 hours away.

Btw. The only climbing I do is into bed. :eh:

tp
robb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robb »

Man, late again but that would be a great winter break. Meet old friends and make new. Love to watch climbers. 10 hr drive, used to be 5 but I sold my convertible. Probably couldn't be out till late 5th. Are you going to center around Woodshed's condo or HDNB's place? I think I am getting excited. I would like to watch Bigbob walk down the strip. Although I wouldn't recommend lingering at the corners. I think I am a real possible.