Random East Coast Saturday

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Random East Coast Saturday

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Figured it was about time for another shiner weekend. Last weekend panickry helped me see a thumper run for the first time. It was awesome, running straight out to barrel strength in one slow run.

Jed, not to be out done, said "hold my whiskey glass" . Here is my current view.
img20171118_173045.jpg
I loaded up the car with 40 gallons of 7% booners and headed to Jed's today to run my first flute. We got 27 gallons in there, gonna strip that out loud and fast. In the morning, going to put in the other 13 gallons plus the strip. Run nice and steady. Hopefully come home with a few gallons to finish off my 5 gallon barrel refill :thumbup:

And most likely, I have a feeling a butcher's cut steak might be for dinner :lol:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I would be cautious about stripping booners for a plated still, might be light on. Maybe just run it in one run and take it of high, ya won't regret it :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

SCD, reminds me of the get together for runs with Mash Rookie. One Thanksgiving week we had his still and mine side by side doing comparison runs with his pates vs my packing. Probably not the best test as I had a 4" column vs his 3". But at the same time we cooked 10 turkeys in his ovens (he was a professional glass blower) and he loaded them in his van and fed the homeless.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

thecroweater wrote:I would be cautious about stripping booners for a plated still, might be light on. Maybe just run it in one run and take it of high, ya won't regret it :thumbup:
Yup. Wet just changed gears and decided to do the one and done. Clearing late heads now :thumbup:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I remember the turkey cook. Was not long after i joined up here. Is what in my eyes makeshim a legend not his builds.

Talked socd into 2 single runs unless he mucks 1st up :lol:

Stove is almost hot enuf for the steaks
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

dudes can i come
ny is the right place is in not shine
hehehe only 9 hours from here
doable :thumbup:
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Well, last night was ups and downs. You know how you can get your dog to juggle and recite Shakespeare every damn day, and the minute someone comes over, all he does is sleep and lick his nuts? Well, that was basically the flute last night. I guess you can say things went as planned, but not as expected.

So we get the column perfectly bala......

Wait. I forgot part of the story here. First we got the column heated up, plates loaded, then put them on a simmer, and had to tend to dinner.

img20171119_065705.jpg

Well not tonight's dinner! Some other night's dinner. If you make your own whiskey, might as well raise your own beef and milk 'em if ya got 'em.
img20171119_065548.jpg

Here's Bessie, all loaded up.
img20171119_065749.jpg
Hey, I got a question for ya.

What does a shiner's cat eat? Sweetfeed of course!

Ever see a cow fight a kitten to the bottom of the trough pile?
img20171119_065824.jpg
Now ya have. Damn thing eats the pellets and leaves the grain for the cow. Or Jed.

Oh. And speaking of dinner.
img20171119_070737.jpg
Now, where was my story. Oh yes, we had just loaded the plates, and put her in a full mild reflux for a while...
img20171119_065508.jpg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

So I have 40 gallons, Jed has a boiler that will fill 27 gallons. . My thought, being a die hard pot stiller, is to run 27 gallons hard and dirty, put that into the remaining 13 gallons, and so a slow, or regular flute run, this morning. This plan was especially true when the heads started coming of at 92%. Yikes... my poor bourbon flavor.

But wait.

As the late has came in, the flavor started punching me in the mouth. Full corn flavor, at 87%? The heads were gone, this thing is spitting like a dream. Alight, so then and there Jed convinced me to just go ahead with a one and done right then and there. We were approaching hearts, why not? Afterall, might as well run a flute like a flute. Boom.... switching to small jars.

Well wouldn't you know as soon as we make new plans, the witch fought us the rest of the night? Flooded plates, dry plates. 90% abv, 50 % abv. We bent her backwards and forwards, upside down, and every way imaginable. It was a rollercoaster. So much so that Jed, who rallied for the 2 one and dones, said "screw this", flipped all 6500 wats back on, killed the reflux, and sent the tails up damn near ahead of the hearts!

So, put my 5 gallons of low wines into the rest of the mash for the night, put her to bed, and hope she wakes up on the right a side of the bed this morning! Breakfast, then we wake her up.

She might need her coffee :lol:
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Woo-wee! Tell you what. Bringing her breakfast in bed sure started the day of right. She is purring nicely for us this morning.
img20171119_113447.jpg

The heads came off at 92%, nice and slow take off. After we cleared those, settling in at a gallon an hour, 84% hearts.
img20171119_113414.jpg
And the flavor, yee-ha! Corny goodness :thumbup:
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

How's it goin' down there boys? Cows, pigs, and whiskey - wish I was able to make it. Sure could have used the vacation. Oh well, I look forward to gettin' my piggie later tonight.