Coming to America ... sooner

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Coming to America ... sooner

Post by Odin »

Hi guys,

My son and I will come to the States a bit sooner. Around May 31st. We will be joining Steve Ross's distilling class (18Vodka), since he will be using my equipment for that. Anyone near Chicago? Anyone out there who can tell us what we should see? We will arrive on Thursday and leave on Sunday afternoon ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Coming to America ... sooner

Post by heartcut »

Here's a guide to a few steak houses. David Burke's is absolutely amazing.
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magaz ... ak-houses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Inside the Loop there's lots of great blues, some of the best are folks you've never heard of.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by midwest shinner »

I'm near Chicago Odin, there's LOADS of great stuff to see and a few of us members in the area. It depends on what you're looking to do but there are some great breweries and distilleries in town. PM me if you've got any specific questions or anything. I've lived here my whole life so I'm pretty well acquainted with what's around. Or I'm sure Windy City or Jimbo could give some input as well...
There's whisky in the jar
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Are you still coming in July as well?
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

MW, I am thinking we should get together ... maybe on Thursday afternoon/evening?

GA, Yes we will be coming in July as well. That will be the mss and me. And we will be visiting you!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

If your son likes science, the Museum of Science & Industry is really cool, Sears Tower, Navy Pier (http://studenttravelplanningguide.com/n ... n-chicago/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow), Planetarium, Just out of Chicago if you make an appointment touring FermiLab where they split atoms was interesting for me. If the White Sox are in town a professional baseball game. If you like Greek food their Greek section has a ton a good restaurants.

Not from there but travel a lot. Also IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology) has one of the largest non commercial wind tunnels in the US.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks B! We will only be a few days. Thursday night, Friday and Sunday is when we will see things, meet people. The course is on Saturday.

Regards, Odin.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I think both you and your son would love the Museum of Science & Industry as it is right at the Great Lakes but it is huge and can easily spend hours there.
http://www.msichicago.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Also the Navy Pier I think your son would like as it is free unless you want to go on the rides, very popular place.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Hot Dogs, Pizza, and great people.
Did I mention Hot Dogs?
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

midwest shinner wrote:I'm near Chicago Odin...or Jimbo could give some input as well...
Hehehehehe. :silent:

tp
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeah Jimbo may be in Iceland now, but he still knows the city I'm sure. Anyway, what are the dates you're gonna be in town Odin? I just gotta make sure I'm not working that day. When we get together we'll make sure you guys have plenty of fun stuff to do with the rest of your free time here
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

woodshed wrote:Hot Dogs, Pizza, and great people.
Did I mention Hot Dogs?
Oh yes, we call em Chicago Dogs and build em big... I commute frequently from Iceland to Chi Town. :ewink:
chicago-dog.png
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I will arive on Thursday, May 28th. In the afternoon. But since Chi is like 7 hours behind our time, it will feel like midnight to us. Friday, we will stay in Chi as well. In the evening we will move towards Mishawaka for the course that's on Saturday the 31st. Sunday morning (June first) we will go to Chicago to see some more. Plain leaves Sunday at 18h00.

Odin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Odin wrote:I will arive on Thursday, May 28th. In the afternoon. But since Chi is like 7 hours behind our time, it will feel like midnight to us. Friday, we will stay in Chi as well. In the evening we will move towards Mishawaka for the course that's on Saturday the 31st. Sunday morning (June first) we will go to Chicago to see some more. Plain leaves Sunday at 18h00.

Odin.
Sounds like Thursday is the best/only chance for a get together. Midnight is a good time to party, drink some coffee and quitcherbitchin :mrgreen: . We'll load ya up on some good home cookin and likker. Windy's wife is a wicked good cook, and might be a few of us know a thing or 2 about good likker. :ewink:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Jimbo wrote:
woodshed wrote:Hot Dogs, Pizza, and great people.
Did I mention Hot Dogs?
Oh yes, we call em Chicago Dogs and build em big...
chicago-dog.png
Dude! Chi-dogs are their own food group!! Image

tp
midwest shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sounds great Odin, i mean realistically you could be here a week and hardly do and see half of what's around here, but I'm sure you'll have a good time. And eat well too, we've got anything you could ever want somewhere in the area
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Sounds great!

Odin.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Really looking forward to your visit.
Mama & I are already working on the menu ( I promise her cooking will not disappoint), between Jimbo, MS & I the tasty beverages will flow freely. :thumbup:
If their is anything I could do to help with the logistics of your trip please feel free to PM me.

Windy City
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Thanks! We will fly in by plane and already rented a car. Given the nature ... of homedistilling, I guess renting a cab would be a great idea!

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Windy, can you pm me your address, so I can book a hotel nearby?

Regards, Odin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

HAHAHA! Odins been down this path,..... cab, not rental car, and hotel nearby. Yes, both are very smart choices after a night of home distilled goodies. 8) I got dibs on the couch :lolno:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

What's the weather going to be like?

Odin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Warm/Hot. 26-32 day. 16-21 night.

But Chicago weather can be as unpredictable as the other gender, so no guarantees
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Centigrade?

"Unpredictable as the other gender"? Jimbo, you a married man for sure. And if that holds to be true, that Chicago weather is as unpredictable as the other gender, well, then ... it will probably be freezing!

:wtf:

Odin.

PS: I will take with me: Stroopwafels, Bols Old Stlye Genever (from 1575), some Dutch cigars. Should help us thru the cold weather.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Yes sir. I converted it already, dont convert it again and bring a goose down parka.

But if you did bring a goose down parka, then surely Murphy says it will be 40C just to make you look as foolish as possible walking off the airplane with it draped over your arm into a 50C jetway.

Yes sir to the married bit. 30 bliss filled years of unpredictability.

PS: I dont know what stroopwafels are but it sounds delightful. Bols and dutch cigars sounds great. Ill bring a mélange of inebriating refreshments. You may need to cover one eye to focus on anything by departure time.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

If you like cigars I will have some cubans to share.
Jimbo is right about our weather you may need shorts and a tank top or a parka all in the same hour :lol:
Right now they are calling for 15.5c but weather reports here are pretty useless.
Looking forward to your visit

Windy City
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Stroopwafels ...
Attachments
imgres.jpg
imgres.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Odin wrote:Stroopwafels ...
There are about the best food money can buy. I'm half Dutch, so I get these anytime I can. Sometimes the local supermarket has them. Otherwise I have to drive out out town to the closest Dutch food shop.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Odin that looks like across between a flute perf plate and a tasty treat. Now if we could first distill with it then eat it you will really be on to something :D

Windy City
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

:clap: :clap: :clap: