PNW Meetup 2015 (Proof)

This forum is for posting announcements for upcoming meetings or events.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Forum rules
Members need to be aware that as all meetings and events are beyond the control of the administration team here and as such homedistiller and it administration and moderators are not responsible for any action and or occurrence at any meeting or event. Members choose to participate at their own risk and responsibility
For security reasons do not post personal information including names exact addresses,phone numbers and detailed itineraries, this sort of information can be communicated via private message, emails or by phone call
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: PNW Meetup 2015 (Proof)

Post by woodshed »

No doubt. You are at one of the coolest meetings going on and this is what you choose to bring up?
I was sayin the same thing cranky in a more colorful way. Beside, everyone knows that when a statement starts with " I don't wanna go there" the exact opposite is true.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I'm back home now, I have to get up for work in the morning and did something to my foot and couldn't really stand. So as usual I left a bit early. After the short ride home (My wife wants everybody to know that it didn't really take her 2 hours to drive us home :moresarcasm: ) I was barely able to hobble into the house. I'm sitting on the bed with an ice pack on it. :( It didn't hurt that much before we left bears but man it didn't feel good after the ride home.

It was real nice to meet everyone and taste what they make. It was a real nice variety on the table. I intended to actually sit down and take notes of each and every one, I even bought some note pads but when the time came to sample, which was actually about an hour before I arrived, It was a very overwhelming and amazing experience with the good people and good conversation it simply got away from me and didn't happen. Everything by MCH was very good although I don't know if I tried it all, I think something that really stood out to me was one by Red Rim that tasted like eating straight out of a feed bag I personally liked it. I will post more as time allows and thoughts come to mind but I have to go tend to the garden and then it will be bed time. Good night everyone. :D
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

woodshed wrote:No doubt. You are at one of the coolest meetings going on and this is what you choose to bring up?
I was sayin the same thing cranky in a more colorful way. Beside, everyone knows that when a statement starts with " I don't wanna go there" the exact opposite is true.
Sorry again Shed, I didn't bring it up, you did and for the record when I say "I don't want to go there" I mean what I say, not the exact opposite. this isn't the place for that argument and I will not respond to further attempts to drag this thread down to that.

Although this weekend probably doesn't compare to S3 it has been a very amazing and overwhelming experience but I am tired and sore and need a little time to absorb it all.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Just want to thank the PNW's for setting this up. Had a great time both at Proof and at BBQ. Cranky thanks for keeping this event going and for your spirits, they where great! Bearriver, thanks for the use of your house and for getting this thing rolling. All the rest of you guys, it was great to put a face to the names! To the rest of the forum, I think going to two of this events now, that home distillers are really turning out some high class spirit. It was ALL GOOD!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

This is a great discussion, but the wrong thread. "The Moonshine Rant" is a good place to continue.

The BBQ was a wonderful experience. I will give a full report after I am able to collect my thoughts properly. But, I will say this... These are the best house guests we have ever had. Everyone was so generous and wonderful to speak with, I feel very lucky to have had them here. Each person brought unique conversation which I enjoyed every bit as much as the spirits available.

I want to say more but will wait until I have floated back down to earth. Thank you everyone, and HD, for making tonight possible. Each contribution added up to an amazing evening I will not ever forget.

:clap:
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

After I heard about Bigbob's ribs it was not a disappointment, I only wished I could have brought some home to my wife. Thanks Cranky and Bearriver for organizing and hosting the event. It was nice to visit with the members that did not make it to Proof and again getting together with those I met last night.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

One thing I forgot to mention...... Meeting the Norse God Odin was AWESOME!!!!!!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Short message since internet is a b*tch. Party was great! Ribs were awesome, drinks were interesting, company was amazing. Loved to meet you all, guys! For me the AG's of HDNB and Bushman stood out of the crowd. As sugar heads I loved the works of art presented by both GA and BigBob. Many others I loved too but I didn't take notes either. MCH's walnut brandy and Pey's Odin's easy gin ... a treat! Special thanks to Bear for organizing it.

Last few days Bushman has shown me around. I am impressed with how craft distilling takes of in the PNW. Both in quality and quantity. And there are some unique innovations going on. Proof was great too. Discussion big distilleries, craft, vs hobby deserves a more in depth discussion and its own thread. For one thing: PNW craft distillers make great product in general. I'll post my ideas and insignts (if any) in a new thread in a few days.

For now: one last trip with Bushman to a distillery called Heritage. They run a distilling school and that's what I am doing too and expect to expand, so I want to hear how they do it!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

Wife and I had a great time at Proof. As was mentioned, some of the products were a tad on the mediocre side, which is a shame for a showcase event, but it's always fun to try other's wares. I also agree that they seemed to be a bit disorganized, and the way they really crammed them in together so tightly it made it difficult to cruise from table to table, especially when a few oblivious rude people would "homestead" a table and bullshit for 10~15 minutes without regard to the hordes of people behind them waiting to try a drop or two.

One of the highlights of the whole event was getting to meet some of the forum members face to face. It's always nice to be able to put a face to a name. I would have really loved to have attended Bushman's BBQ, (it was also nice to meet him in person at Proof, along with Odin, Big Bob, and several others.) But, family obligations trumped us on that one. We'll shoot for next year though. Overall, it was fun.

Odin, my wife would like to to thank you for the shirt too. Sorry we didn't get to see your still displayed, but stuff happens.
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

Thanks Bear, wife, and family for being such gracious hosts! You have a great place and some very nice pups. It was a blast meeting all you and having interesting chats. And of course, the sampling -- you folks make some great stuff! It was hard to pace since all of us had to be on the road the same day.

I would like to thank Cranky for bringing me the mandolin -- I will have fun trying to figure that thing out!

Look forward to chatting a bit more about this meet-up once I get behind my computer.
buflowing
Swill Maker

Post by buflowing »

Bushman wrote:...Odin and I attended Westland Distilleries (the largest producers of single malt whiskey in North America). Both of us thought their signiture whiskey was good, later at Proof Odin tasted one of their other whiskeys and said he wasn't as happy with it....
I had the pleasure of attending a tasting and discussion event hosted by Westland's Matt Hofmann not too long ago. Had several drams each of their American, Peated and Sherry wood single malts. FWIW, through my not-so-good and burnt out palate, I thought they were wonderful. Matt was an interesting fellow to talk to, very open. It was fun to talk to a true intellect in the spirits world (educated at Heriot-Watt)
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Now that I've had some rest and time to think here are my thoughts and observations on the weekend.

It's now the day after the BBQ and this is one of the rare occasions for the past 6 months that I didn't bring a project to work so I have time to think and hopefully say a little more than "It was amazing".

First the people.
My wife pretty much summed it up when she said it is amazing how similar all of us are in the way we think which I assume says something about the hobby itself, or perhaps it says a lot about those who progress beyond the most basic levels of the hobby.

As I have mentioned before I am socially inept but I found myself talking to everyone as if I had known them for years, which I guess is true but this is just the first time we have actually been in the same physical place at the same time.

As far as drinks I can say that none I tried had bad cuts or any heads that I could tell.

I recall Bushman's whiskey being very bold and flavorful. HDNB's was bold as well, which is also what I like about Flatwood's Blackbeard's treasure too.

Speaking of Flatwoods I feel both of his are very superior whiskeys but I will say I prefer the Blackbeard's just a bit over the Muckalee creek water. I also failed to fulfill Flatwoods request to get a picture of all of us toasting him while listening to the Muckalee creek song and I apologize for that.

Since I mostly make brandy I enjoyed trying Bushman's and Red Rim's apple brandies. They were both very nice and gave me ideas about how to do my own. Red Rims was very cinnamony, I recall a bit of cinnamon in bushmans too but not as much, Bushmans apple grappa was tasty but not as flavorful as the straight brandy, in all honesty I should have tried the grappa first instead of after trying the true brandy. My own brandies I brought along were a mixed fruit and an apple, both 2 years old. I believe I used sugar in each of them but I feel they are pretty good. However on the apple I am afraid I made a mistake because I aged it on Japanese maple and I think I left it on the wood a bit too long. I tend to like the wood flavor to be more of an accent rather than the dominant flavor but I brought it along for others to try and maybe get an honest opinion.

The other bottles I brought along was a 2 year old All-Bran like wash that was made with either organic raisin bran or organic wheat cereal that I believe spent time on both maple and oak. The last bottle was a sort of hybrid that started out as 10 gallons of birdwatchers but then a few days before I finished the Muggles flute I decided to try to convert it to something flavored so I ground up 2 boxes of cheerios and 1 box of organic wheat cereal with my kitchen aid meat grinder and dumped it into the wash. The wash also contained a couple of seashells for PH buffering. Once I went through all the cleaning and sacrificial runs on the flute I ran this wash as the first product run. It came off at 92% through most of the run but also carried over some nice flavor. I was anxious to share the product of my new flute with some people from the site so Friday I did the blend. I then tempered to 98-100Pr and let it sit for another 2 days open to let it air air a bit more before corking it to bring along and sticking a Unicorn sweat label on the bottle. I tend to like the taste of the early tails and have to admit I may have gone a bit deeper than I normally do but I think it turned out pretty good although of course others may have a different opinion which I would like to hear.

Now on to Woodshed, who sent along a bottle of S3 and some smoke shine. I know I tried both but can't for the life of me remember anything about the smoke shine. I vividly recall the S3 though. I wish I could say otherwise but unfortunately if I am to be honest I can't say I cared for the S3.

While I'm being honest about things I didn't care for there was only one other sample on the table that I have to admit I didn't like and that was a peach brandy sent by medstiller, Let me first tell you that although I do a lot with fruit, peaches are not something I really care for so I'm sure that was at least part of it but to me the peach had a perfumy quality similar to the apple brandy I carelessly set the dryer sheets on top of while airing out. I'm not sure why I tasted this perfumy quality but I did and I didn't really care for it.

I remember tasting Pyewackets and Bigbobs products too and know they were good but so much of the tastings are just a blur I can't really recall anything specific about any of it or much of anything else.

Bigbobs ribs were great, The Brisket and other food was great as well. The company was the best part just spending an afternoon talking to people I actually like, which is indeed a pretty rare thing, eating, sampling and just bullshitting was just truly an incredible experience that I hope will happen again and I hope to remember for a long time.

Edited: Deleted something that could have been taken wrong.
Last edited by cranky on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Wow, Cranky, what can I say after that write up?

First, the highlight for me was getting to finally meet the friends we have made over the past few years. What a brilliant bunch. Most of our minds work in the same twisted way which brought us together in the first place. The personalities are exactly what I have invisioned but the looks are a little different.

Second , the food!!!! What a spread! Big Bobs ribs were so good that I almost ate my fingers because they connected to the ribs. The brisket, and the rest of the goodies rounded out the meal.

And then the DRINK! I showed up a couple of hours early and started sampling HDNBs whiskey and a few others, so by the time the rest of the group showed I had already lost my sense of taste and discernment. All were great, with a few that were so unique that you can't forget. Such as fruit loops.... Who makes whiskey out of fruit loops??? What are you mental???? Well I fricking loved it! Crazy but delicious to a person who has eaten a few truckloads of fruit loops.
Bushman's apple Brandy had a much fuller flavor than my own as well as Crankys. And again I apologize for not remembering more, my taste buds were fried! I also would like to apologize to Big Bob for not sampling his Sweet feed that he asked me to repeatedly, as I was trying to sober up for the long drive home.

Thank you Bear for hosting as well as your wife and your father for all the hard work they put into it.

Truly a pleasure meeting Odin, who has taken a dream and turned it into reality. To take an idea that was even frowned upon by others and turn it into a functional reality.

Sorry I misses Coyote and HDNB, would have loved to have met you both as well.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Currently at SeaTac Airport. Plane leaves in about an hour. Here's two pics on booz and ribs!

Regards, Odin.
Attachments
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

That booze table would be the death of me. Probably a good thing I can't make it to these shindigs. It would be good if I had about 2 month's time for a little taste of each of those.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

S-Cackalacky wrote:That booze table would be the death of me. Probably a good thing I can't make it to these shindigs. It would be good if I had about 2 month's time for a little taste of each of those.
It was difficult to choose where to start and what to try next and keep anything straight. 2 months to sample, consider, asses and savor seems like it would be about right to me.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

well...another long drive and i'm back in good ole 1984. sorry i missed the BBQ, i had to drive like hell all day sunday so i could keep the wheels turning at work today.
Highlites:
meeting the guys! I can now put faces and voices to the posts of big bob, bushman, odin, bearriver,cranky, euphoria and my uncle mo! (and cranky you said a striking resemblance to a gnome, but i really think you are closer to your avatar with a differnt color fur! HAR!)
The booze: (thanks for the positive comments on mine) (since i missed the BBQ, i have no notes on other members) but at proof, there was a couple good ones:
the "three generations" guys really need to practice for another generation.
- bainbridge had a whiskey i really liked.
-Odin and i tried the Westland peated whiskey. Odin mentioned one of their others that he enjoyed, so we went after the peated this time. quality was on par with a similarly priced. I thought the peat really came through but it tasted young, or headsy...or both. I can't say i liked it enough to buy a bottle, but maybe in 7-10 years it could be right there. not bad if someone else is buying.
-i actually bought my first bottle of gin from "Captive spirits" not necessarily because it was the best, but it was a bit plainer and paired really well with an AWESOME product "Kina Tonic" from Bradley's tonic co. in seattle. These comanies have a synergy going where the tonic guy uses their ex-gin barrel for agining his tonic in...and vice versa, (or some such nonsense)...but whatever they are doing togther it's working! Straight up their other gin was better, but mixed with the tonic the plainer one was my choice.
-There was another gin there that was great straight up, but unhelpfully i have misplaced the name. (maybe someone else remembers she was through the door beside Odin's booth staraight ahead, across from those great sliders.) (i think it was maybe oola distilling.)
-Spiritopia with an apple liquor (he also made ginger) that was pretty awesome.
-Copperworks made a vodka with barley gave a nice smooth mouth feel. It has a touch of sweetness and vanilla, so not really that neutral but good.
-Seattle distilling had single malt that was really nice, i alomost bought one...but carrying too much likker accross the border is a PITA
-Skunk brothers white dog tastes better than my AG white dog...if you like it white, try this one out. never tried their apple pie though.
other than that i can tell you that nothing really impressed, but to be fair...i did not get to them all, probably missed 25-30%

as noted, once the dirty unwashed masses stormed the floor it got very difficult to get near a table and learn a bit about them. if you go to one of these make sure you do the VIP entrance and do the "trade" or industry part of the show. Once the public shows it's a fish market.

This was my first likker show. It was a great experience if i get the chance again i'd do it it in a heartbeat! if you have something like this going on in your area you gotta post up and get an S3 contingent on site.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Wow HDNB that was a great writeup. wish I had stuck with you for tasting I might have found something I liked. I do have to confess though :oops: , My wife found a cinnamon liquor she really liked and bought. She even brought it to Bears to to share with his wife. When I get the big column set up and get some neutral run off I will get it duplicated only better. I need to get a neutral run in soon before she runs out of Kahlua, and I need to free up some carboys for fruit too, so it won't be long.

I don't think anybody has told this yet so I will. About 10 minutes before they opened the doors, Bear, Bigbob, me and maybe one other person were standing outside talking and some random guy standing there said something about monkey masks. I'm a bit hard of hearing so I wasn't absolutely certain I heard him correctly and thought it was one of the black shirts from our group. I don't know if the others even heard him but he was basically ignored because he didn't have an S3 shirt or just walk right up and introduce himself. As we walked inside my wife asked me if we knew that guy, which I didn't until he walked up to Odin's table and introduced himself as HDNB

I do kind of resemble Oscar. My son says I look like a lord of the rings dwarf. I don't think anybody else looked like their avatar except maybe pyewacket :moresarcasm:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I take exception to this Cranky, since my avatar is me!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

not sure that was me, i was inside with odin and bushman (actually got there at about 2 pm so my trade hour was about 3 hours long) I did see Bigbob in the VIP area when the doors opened and went out to say hi!
It was easy to pick him out of the crowd being as tall as me, he is one of the few guys i see "eye to eye" with! :lol:

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i found it hard to try everything. with 40 distillers there and 2,3 or 7 products each... there was i'd guess 140 different things to try. i got to maybe...maybe... 25-30 (one product from each of about 3/4 of the exibitors)
i skipped the sugar infused stuff entirely. I was more interested in the guys that actually produced, because many just bought the alcohol and put raspberry juice in it (or caramel or whatever)
if it didn't say "produced, distilled and bottled at XXXX" i passed on it completely.

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Bigbob wrote:I take exception to this Cranky, since my avatar is me!
Sorry Bigbob, I made the mistake of enlarging your avatar once to try to figure out what it was :wtf: , I am now scarred for life and try never to so much as glance at it.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HDNB wrote:not sure that was me, i was inside with odin and bushman (actually got there at about 2 pm so my trade hour was about 3 hours long) I did see Bigbob in the VIP area when the doors opened and went out to say hi!
It was easy to pick him out of the crowd being as tall as me, he is one of the few guys i see "eye to eye" with! :lol:
It could have been someone else, I thought it was you, but as mentioned in another post I am not good with names or faces or dates and at this point the whole weekend is a blur
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

HDNB, I am glad you said some positive things about Proof. I did not get around to many of the distilleries as I was the designated driver. Heritage got a hard review here but today Odin and I had a fantastic private tour with Justin the owner. He is a very smart man and has a great model for a distillery/school. We tasted one of his whiskey's and gin both I thought were very good. At the end he had a tank of 152 proof rye that was not malted but he used enzymes for the conversion. It also was just made within a few days and had not seen the casks for aging but you could tell it was going to be a good one. You would of had a great time at the BBQ and it was the folks that missed Proof's loss not getting to meet you!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

The whole thing was really positive! i wish i could have tried all of them but so little time, and even less liver...the people there were excited to show their wares and really helpful and informative...really enthusiastic to share the passion!
I don't think i got to enjoy Heritage's product. Maybe next time!
Thanks to you and Odin for sharing the pre-show time with me - you made me feel very welcome!

now i drink for evil.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I am responsible for reviewing Heritage poorly because I tried what the crowd was ranting and raving about which was the coffee infused vodka and vodka. Perhaps it is the general public that I should have judged harshly and perhaps I am biased towards Home distilling. I will say the person at the booth was very nice although very busy with people determined to get as drunk as they could before 9 so it was difficult to properly asses much of anything.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That's OK Cranky, I was raving to Odin about a craft distillery in my area that made a great potato vodka, a year and a half ago I bought a bottle. The craft distillery back then only made 2 types of vodka potato and wheat and nothing else. Took Odin to the distillery and they now make a dozen different drinks and the potato vodka tasted terrible. Didn't want to say anything while we were sampling but couldn't wait to get out and apologize to Odin.
MyUncleMo
Swill Maker

Post by MyUncleMo »

Hit and run post to follow up the hit and run visit to pr%f.
thankfully my work PREP time in Fremont was worth the trip. Nobody left their cars in the lot overnight and had to get towed!!!!
I got there as I was working.
It had been a 14 hour day and I just wanted to say hi.
After saying hello to the folks at Pacific, I sought the s3 shirts.
Once found i had a chance to meet some of you fine folks.
HDNBs whiskey was amazing. Flavorful and cut well.
The short time I spent there was worth it.
I can't wait to spend some real time with y'all.
Maybe this winter.
Peace.
My Uncke Mo taught me how to make apple Jack when I was in 6th Grade.

Questions? Read this first...
http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 15&t=52975
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Proof was held at the Freemont Studios in basically 2 large areas, during the VIP session before it got crazy busy (over 1000 in attendance) I took this picture from Odin's booth looking back one direction.
image.jpg
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Bushman wrote:That's OK Cranky, I was raving to Odin about a craft distillery in my area that made a great potato vodka, a year and a half ago I bought a bottle. The craft distillery back then only made 2 types of vodka potato and wheat and nothing else. Took Odin to the distillery and they now make a dozen different drinks and the potato vodka tasted terrible. Didn't want to say anything while we were sampling but couldn't wait to get out and apologize to Odin.
Apologies are not in order. You are not responsible for what others make, Bushman. And any visit to a distillery is a great treat. Hey, these are the guys that actually took the step that most of us dream about! That's a reason for respect just in itsself. Not to say that touring with you was great fun. Not just the visits, but I especially enjoyed the discussions, interpretations we had afterwards. Not to say that just the company was a treat!

Phew, here I am, after a 10 hour flight without sleep. I will try to stay awake for a few more hours, since it is already close to 7 pm here, but it is killing me. Not sure how long I am without sleep, but it was worth it.

Regards, Odin.